corner corner The Marriage Bureau for Rich People

The Marriage Bureau for Rich People
by Farahad Zama | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Jive-Monster of -- Somewhere in Derbyshire, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 04, 2009

status (set by molekilby): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Jive-Monster from -- Somewhere in Derbyshire, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 04, 2009

From the back:
What does somebody with a wealth of common sense do if retirement palls? Why, open a marriage bureau, of course. And soon Mr Ali, from beautiful Vizag in South India, sees his new business flourish as the indomitable Mrs Ali and able assistant Aruna look on with careful eyes. But although many clients go away happy, problems lurk behind the scenes as Aruna nurses a heart-rending secret; while Mr Ali cannot see that he rarely follows the sage advice he so freely dishes out to others. And when love comes calling for Aruna, an impossible dilemma looms... A colourful coastal town and contemporary marriage bureau prove a perfect backdrop for a splendid array of characters making sense of all sorts of pride and prejudice - and the ways in which true love won't quite let go - in this witty and big-hearted debut novel.

Journal Entry 2 by Jive-Monster from -- Somewhere in Derbyshire, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 12, 2009

This was a lovely book to read. I enjoyed the description of the weddings - all helped along with a list at the beginning of the book telling some of the things needed for a perfect Brahmin wedding.

It's a very easy book to read and the essays written by Mrs Ali are delightful.

All in all, a very enjoyable book.

Journal Entry 3 by Jive-Monster from -- Somewhere in Derbyshire, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 18, 2009

ist of participants for the bookring in order of shipping:

Jean-Sol
Icila
shelj7k
molekilby - it's here!
LyzzyBee
Mallary
Then back to me Jive-Monster

The book will be arriving in a Bookcrossing re-useable envelope, within this envelope I'll include address labels for you to use. Just replace the old label with a new one with the next participants address.
Please make sure you re-use the Bookcrossing envelope for this bookring!

Please post a journal entry when you receive the book so we know you've got it safe and sound and then journal it again when you've read it.

PM the next person on the list for their address when you've nearly finished the book so it can continue its journey without delay. Then one final journal entry when it's in the post please.
Please try not to keep the book for more that a month, that way we can keep the ring going.

I really hope that you all enjoy the book as much as I did. Happy Reading!!

Journal Entry 4 by Jive-Monster at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 25, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/26/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Welcome to Bookcrossing

Apologies for the lateness of starting this bookring - we've had guests and I tidied away the re-useable envelopes and have only just unearthed them today.

So, this book is now on it's way to Jean-Sol in Australia.

Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingJean-Solwing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 04, 2009

Received today at now fast-tracked to the top of my TBR pile, 2nd in the queue.
I hadn't come across this book until I was the name in the Bookring forum and now I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Thanks Jive Monster for being so organised and providing envelope and labels.

Journal Entry 6 by wingJean-Solwing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This was such a fun and enjoyable read! I especially enjoyed the descriptions of food, food ingredients, flowers and scents. They are so evocative I could see and smell it all. The whole business of arranged wedding according to castes was very interesting and the book showed a very real picture of modern Indian society but with a very light (and astute) touch. I'll definitely recommend it and I wish I had had time to try the recipes, Jive-Monster, but the book has to go to France now so I'll take it to the post office in the next couple of days.

PS I wonder if this could be the first book of a 'Marriage Bureau for Rich People' series? I'll be keeping an eye out for book 2.

Journal Entry 7 by wingJean-Solwing at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/13/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today to Icila in France. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, May 23, 2009

The book was waiting for me in my mailbox while I was at the sea-shore (Saint-Brévin) with my grandchildren.
Very quick trip from down-under !

Merci Jean-Sol !

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sorry. I'm very late with this book, I was busy these months with journeys, family and friends.
It was a very enjoying reading about life in modern and not so modern life in India where a wedding is a big deal for the families.
Thanks for sharing.

PMing Mallary

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mallary asks to be skipped and add at the end of the list.

I w'll try shelj7k

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 06, 2009

On its way today to shelj7k

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 06, 2009

On its way today to shelj7k

Journal Entry 13 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thank you Icila, the book arrived safely this morning. I have one bookray ahead of it but I am half way through that and will get straight to this one! I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 14 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, August 27, 2009

That was a really heartwarming story of lovely gentle people. A little bit predictable, but so nicely written that even that didn't take from the enjoyment. It was nice to read of such strong family ties and values, of people who have huge respect for each other and for the world they live in. I suspect that arranged marriages have as good a chance of resulting in happiness as 'love matches'.

The recipe at the end for halva sounds really good and I am tempted to give it a try!

Thank you Jive-Monster for sharing The Marriage Bureau for Rich People, and by the way, I love your personalized book stamp!

I have molekilby's address and will send the book on either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by shelj7k at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 27, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/28/2009 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

The book continues its travels to Molekilby!

Journal Entry 16 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, September 03, 2009

Arrived today. Thanks to shelj7k for sending and Jive-Monster for sharing. For some reason this book appealed to me and it looks like a fast read.

There are two reasons I shall fast track this book to the top (leapfrogging other bookrings and rays):
1. It fits in nicely with my current read "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry (a good book and recommended)
2. (And this is where I hijack these JE's for a plug) I'm on the Fourth Plinth next Tuesday (Sept 8th @ 17:00) more information at www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/molekilby , and LyzzyBee has said that they will be travelling to join the party I will try and get it read by then to pass it on.