corner corner Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather
by Carl Hiaasen | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by samulli of Weimar, Thüringen Germany on 1/1/2009

status (set by Icila): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, January 01, 2009

Take one devastating Florida hurricane, a New York couple on their honeymoon, a skull-juggling but sensitive guy, one former governor turned Everglades hermit, two small-time con artists, a corrupt building inspector, two state troopers, a hapless insurance agent, and what do you have?
Well, in this case a typical, funny Hiaasen story. An entertaining read, even if at almost 500 pages it is a bit longer than the other ones I have read by him so far. The storyline is quite involved, but it's still funny.

Journal Entry 2 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Friday, January 02, 2009

The book will go out as a bookray.

List of participants:
dastephan6 (US -> anywh.)
Bug2004 (US -> US)
PaulsBooks (US -> anywh.)
penelopewanders (Switzerland -> EU)
...

Journal Entry 3 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The book is on its way to dastephan6. It's travelling by surface mail, so it might take a while to arrive.

Journal Entry 4 by dastephan6 from Lawrence, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 27, 2009

recieved! look forward to reading.

Journal Entry 5 by dastephan6 at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/10/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to the next person

Journal Entry 6 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, June 15, 2009

Re'cvd today...have several in front, but will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, September 21, 2009

Sorry everyone...I'm behind, overwhelmed, etc. :) I am actually about half way through this one, so I should finish up by the weekend and have it on the road early next week. So sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 8 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fun read. I wasn't overwhelmingly excited by it, but I enjoyed it enough to get through. Thanks for sharing!!

off to the post office tmrrw.

Journal Entry 9 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, October 15, 2009

(aka PaulsBooks) I received the book! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This was an interesting story...very silly but also an underlying environmental message. I think I enjoy Hiaasen's young adult books better.
Thanks for sharing this book! I will send this on to the next reader!

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, November 20, 2009

This has arrived safely in the Swiss alps. It looks like I'm at the end of this ray- as this is an extremely busy period workwise and a few other rings are stacking up, I may put this one on the back burner for a few weeks until things calm down - unless I'm mistaken and there's someone I should be sending this to next. Please let me know if that is the case. Otherwise I'll probably offer this up to continue its ray once I get to it, but it might be a while.

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Canyamel, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, August 10, 2017

I just realized this came in as a bookcrossing end-of-ray, and it found its way down to Mallorca and has stayed here for a number of years! Ah well, I will post it on the forum and see if there is a renewed interest now.
Meanwhile this was apparently the third book featuring the governer (or Skink), and so the craziness is not unexpected. This was an amusing holiday read, and there were a few good chuckles, but I would not say this is the best I've read by this author.

Journal Entry 13 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, September 16, 2017

As soon as I retrieve the book from Mallorca where I inadvertently left it, this will resume its travels. Uncomfortably relevant in light of Harvey and Irma...
For now the order will be as follows:

Delphi_Reader (Greece) can ship int'l
Icila (France) can ship int'l <-- the book is here
dschinny (Germany) can ship int'l
Femke85 (Sweden) Europe only
Lizzy-Stardust (UK) can ship int'l
estelle1806 (Ireland) can ship int'l
susanna_koh (Malaysia) can ship int'l
...

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (9/27/2017 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This was driven from Switzerland to France, and now leaves there to get this ray rolling again. It heads first to Greece. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Friday, September 29, 2017

"Stormy Weather" arrived in Delphi, Greece this morning, actually on a -quite unusual for this time of the year- stormy day!

I'm quite curious about the book, I don't think I've read anything by this author before, so hopefully it won't take long to read it and pass it on.

Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, October 07, 2017

First time reading this author and while I found “Strormy Weather” a decent read, I don’t understand the hype I keep seen around about a “hilarious novel” and “America’s greatest satire novelist” or similar.

There are some satirical undertones on various issues and a few humorous scenes, but on my opinion the book is not really funny. The plot twists are very far-fetched and the characters very surreal. I think if I was familiar with the setting maybe I could feel a bit more connected with the book.

The narration flowed effortlessly and the novel kept my interest up to an extend, but this was not exactly “unputdownable” for me. Maybe it could be a bit shorter too, I feel some chapters/characters were introduced just for the sake of adding more sides-lines or something, while the ending got quite predictable.

A fine light read, but didn’t live up to the expectations created.

Journal Entry 17 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 09, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (10/9/2017 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book is now on its way to Icila! Enjoy!
Thank you everyone!

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, October 13, 2017

Thank you Delphi_Reader, for the book and for the pretty cork bookmark.