corner corner Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather
by Carl Hiaasen | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by samulli of Weimar, Thüringen Germany on 1/1/2009

status (set by estelle1806): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, January 01, 2009

Take one devastating Florida hurricane, a New York couple on their honeymoon, a skull-juggling but sensitive guy, one former governor turned Everglades hermit, two small-time con artists, a corrupt building inspector, two state troopers, a hapless insurance agent, and what do you have?
Well, in this case a typical, funny Hiaasen story. An entertaining read, even if at almost 500 pages it is a bit longer than the other ones I have read by him so far. The storyline is quite involved, but it's still funny.

Journal Entry 2 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Friday, January 02, 2009

The book will go out as a bookray.

List of participants:
dastephan6 (US -> anywh.)
Bug2004 (US -> US)
PaulsBooks (US -> anywh.)
penelopewanders (Switzerland -> EU)
...

Journal Entry 3 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The book is on its way to dastephan6. It's travelling by surface mail, so it might take a while to arrive.

Journal Entry 4 by dastephan6 from Lawrence, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 27, 2009

recieved! look forward to reading.

Journal Entry 5 by dastephan6 at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/10/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to the next person

Journal Entry 6 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, June 15, 2009

Re'cvd today...have several in front, but will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, September 21, 2009

Sorry everyone...I'm behind, overwhelmed, etc. :) I am actually about half way through this one, so I should finish up by the weekend and have it on the road early next week. So sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 8 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fun read. I wasn't overwhelmingly excited by it, but I enjoyed it enough to get through. Thanks for sharing!!

off to the post office tmrrw.

Journal Entry 9 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, October 15, 2009

(aka PaulsBooks) I received the book! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This was an interesting story...very silly but also an underlying environmental message. I think I enjoy Hiaasen's young adult books better.
Thanks for sharing this book! I will send this on to the next reader!

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, November 20, 2009

This has arrived safely in the Swiss alps. It looks like I'm at the end of this ray- as this is an extremely busy period workwise and a few other rings are stacking up, I may put this one on the back burner for a few weeks until things calm down - unless I'm mistaken and there's someone I should be sending this to next. Please let me know if that is the case. Otherwise I'll probably offer this up to continue its ray once I get to it, but it might be a while.

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Canyamel, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, August 10, 2017

I just realized this came in as a bookcrossing end-of-ray, and it found its way down to Mallorca and has stayed here for a number of years! Ah well, I will post it on the forum and see if there is a renewed interest now.
Meanwhile this was apparently the third book featuring the governer (or Skink), and so the craziness is not unexpected. This was an amusing holiday read, and there were a few good chuckles, but I would not say this is the best I've read by this author.

Journal Entry 13 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, September 16, 2017

As soon as I retrieve the book from Mallorca where I inadvertently left it, this will resume its travels. Uncomfortably relevant in light of Harvey and Irma...
For now the order will be as follows:

Delphi_Reader (Greece) can ship int'l
Icila (France) can ship int'l
dschinny (Germany) can ship int'l.
Femke85 (Sweden) Europe only
Lizzy-Stardust (UK) can ship int'l
estelle1806 (Ireland) can ship int'l ---> on its way!
susanna_koh (Malaysia) can ship int'l
...

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (9/27/2017 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This was driven from Switzerland to France, and now leaves there to get this ray rolling again. It heads first to Greece. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Friday, September 29, 2017

"Stormy Weather" arrived in Delphi, Greece this morning, actually on a -quite unusual for this time of the year- stormy day!

I'm quite curious about the book, I don't think I've read anything by this author before, so hopefully it won't take long to read it and pass it on.

Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, October 07, 2017

First time reading this author and while I found “Strormy Weather” a decent read, I don’t understand the hype I keep seen around about a “hilarious novel” and “America’s greatest satire novelist” or similar.

There are some satirical undertones on various issues and a few humorous scenes, but on my opinion the book is not really funny. The plot twists are very far-fetched and the characters very surreal. I think if I was familiar with the setting maybe I could feel a bit more connected with the book.

The narration flowed effortlessly and the novel kept my interest up to an extend, but this was not exactly “unputdownable” for me. Maybe it could be a bit shorter too, I feel some chapters/characters were introduced just for the sake of adding more sides-lines or something, while the ending got quite predictable.

A fine light read, but didn’t live up to the expectations created.

Journal Entry 17 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 09, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (10/9/2017 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book is now on its way to Icila! Enjoy!
Thank you everyone!

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, October 13, 2017

Thank you Delphi_Reader, for the book and for the pretty cork bookmark.

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, October 27, 2017

Insanely funny. Exactly. With a morale.

Journal Entry 20 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, November 02, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (11/2/2017 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to dschinny (Germany). Happy reading !

Journal Entry 21 by wingdschinnywing at Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Arrived today, thank you. Will have to wait a bit as I have to finish my current book.

Journal Entry 22 by wingdschinnywing at Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Saturday, November 18, 2017

An enjoyable read - as usual 🙂
Will ask for the next address now.

20.11.: On its way to Femke85.

Journal Entry 23 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Sunday, December 03, 2017

Arrived in Sweden!

Journal Entry 24 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Saturday, January 13, 2018

I really enjoyed reading this book. Haven´t read anything from this author before, so for me the storyline didn't feel familiar. I liked the satirical undertone and the way all the storylines / side-lines eventually fit together like a neat puzzle.

I contacted the next person on the book ray list and hope to ship this one as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 25 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, January 19, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (1/19/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Off to the next!

Journal Entry 26 by Lizzy-stardust at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Received in today's post. Will read it when I finish my current book.

Journal Entry 27 by estelle1806 at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 12, 2018

Received from Lizzy-Stardust today; it's going on top of the pile, so I can forward it soon...

Journal Entry 28 by estelle1806 at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, April 10, 2018

This was an easy enough read, with quite a lot of side stories to follow. I found it OK but not that remarkable and not overly funny either.
True there is a lot of irony and satire, and a lot of absurdities, but the positive is I did not find it hard to finish...

Journal Entry 29 by estelle1806 at Labuan, Federal Territory of Labuan (Bandar Labuan) Malaysia on Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (4/24/2018 UTC) at Labuan, Federal Territory of Labuan (Bandar Labuan) Malaysia

This is now travelling to susanna_koh, enjoy!

Please let us know when you release it again...