corner corner Crome Yellow

Crome Yellow
by Aldous Huxley | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Caroley of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, December 26, 2008

status (set by ababaigalit): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, December 26, 2008

1001 books
Denis Stone, a naive young poet, is invited to stay at Crome, a country house renowned for its gatherings of 'bright young things'. Crome's hosts, the world-weary Henry Wimbush and his exotic wife Pricilla are joined by a party of colourful guests whose intrigues and opinions ensure Denis' stay is a memorable one. In the course of the weekend Henry tells his guests fantastical stories from the history of the house, Mr. Barbeque-Smith invents inspirational aphorisms conceived in trances, Mary dispenses with her virginity on the roof, the local vicar prophesies the Apocolypes, the annual Crome Fair takes place and Denis tries to capture it all in poetry and has his heart broken.

Journal Entry 2 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, February 13, 2009

It took me a couple of chapters to get into this but once I did I found myself enjoying it.

It wasn't what I was expecting, the only other Huxley I've read is Brave new world, but good in its own way.

Journal Entry 3 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2009

1001 books
A few guidelines:
1. Journal the book when you receive it so I know it arrived safely.
2. PM the next person and make a note that you've done so.
3. Take as much time as you need to read it, but try and move it along within a reasonable time.
4. Mail the book to the next person. PLEASE put on a JE or release note when you've done this.

Lucy-lemon (UK, UK shipping)
Wigglywoods (UK, Intl shipping)
pinkydinky (UK, EU shipping pref)
Jozebedee (UK, UK shipping pref)
Rossella05 (UK, UK shipping)
Danielle23 (UK, UK shipping)
flambard (UK, Intl shipping)
Flutterbies9 (UK, UK shipping)
DryKid (UK, UK shipping) asked to be skipped
Shimmy-crazy (UK, Intl shipping)
Bookworm-lady (Spain, EU shipping pref)
Deepswamp (Sweden, ship intl)
Cat207 (Aust, Aust shipping pref)
FreePages (Aust, Aust shipping pref)

Journal Entry 4 by Caroley at Birmingham, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (2/14/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Lucy

Journal Entry 5 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, February 19, 2009

Arrived yesterday and I've already started it. I'm really enjoying it so far!

Journal Entry 6 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Arrived this morning - thanks Lucy :D

Journal Entry 7 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thanks for the opportunity to read this Caroley - it wasn't at all what I expected, I did enjoy it although Mr. Scogan's musings almost had me nodding off! Have pm'd pinkydinky for address and will post on as soon as I received it.

Journal Entry 8 by pinkydinky from Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 16, 2009

Thanks Caroley and Wigglywoods. Will put on top of MTBR.

Journal Entry 9 by pinkydinky from Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 26, 2009

This took me a while to get into. I did enjoy it and can't help thinking that, for all the changes in the world, people's emotional dilemmas and anxieties haven't changed all that much.
I have jozebedee's address and will send on asap.

Journal Entry 10 by pinkydinky from Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 27, 2009

Posted to Jozebedee today.

Journal Entry 11 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Received safely thank you. Going in the TBR pile - I will try to get to it asap!

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/18/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Thanks - an enjoyable read! Sending off now to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 13 by Rossella05 on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thank you! This will be my second book by this author, Brave New World is one of my all time favourites.

Journal Entry 14 by Rossella05 at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 09, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/9/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

off to danielle. apologies for the delay and thanks for sharing this book which i found a little boring but well written.

Journal Entry 15 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 13, 2009

The book has arrived safely and I will get to it as soon as all of my other rings/rays are completed. Thanks for sharing xx

Journal Entry 16 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 27, 2009

I did not enjoy this book as much as 'Brave New World' but I did enjoy it. I loved hearing about the history of Crome House, especially the part about Hercules and his bride Filomena and their house of little people. I enjoyed the part of the 'Lovely Lapiths' too, much more so than the stories of the current occupants of Crome House.

Most of the characters I disliked; Denis because of his preoccupation with Anne, Anne because she just seemed to tease the men quite a lot, and Mary because she seemed very manipulative towards the end.

Some of the images were beautiful and althoughI disliked the characters I did enjoy the book. Thank you so much for sharing xx

Journal Entry 17 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, August 02, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/3/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to flambard, the next in the ray xx

Journal Entry 18 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Many thanks Danielle and Caroley. It has arrived safely.

Journal Entry 19 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

OK, but not great. I can't see that it earns its place in the top 1001 books. The satire is not subtle, and the characters are a parade of grotesques with little substance whose characteristic foibles got rather over-used and repetitive. The only point I found funny was the comparison of WWI with a holiday in Weston-super-Mud.

I have Flutterbies9's address, so it will be off to Somerset shortly!

Journal Entry 20 by Flambard at sent to the the next bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 16, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/16/2009 UTC) at sent to the the next bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

By post to Somerset

Journal Entry 21 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thanks Flambard & Caroley. Filled in record card received with book.
Safely received despite postal chaos this week. Will start this now and get it on its way as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 22 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, August 30, 2009

I had expected to find this book challenging, however, apart from a couple of words which eluded me and required a dictionary, much easier to read than I had expected.

Have to agree that though it may be a 'worthy' book by a 'good' author, I do not know why this book is in the 1001.

Any other comments would probably just be spoilers as the previous reviewers have basically covered what I would have said. I agree with pinkdinky re: the emotions and anxieties and Danielle23 re: the whole of her review!

Have contacted DryKid for an address and will send this on as soon as it is received.

Journal Entry 23 by Flutterbies9 at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/3/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

DryKid asked to be missed so packed up now to go on its way to Shimmy-crazy (next in line).

Journal Entry 24 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, September 11, 2009

Arrived. I have a couple ahead of it but will get to it ASAP. Cheers Caroley andFlutterbies9.

Journal Entry 25 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Wasn't quite what I expected but interesting non the less.
Posted to Bookworm-lady 8/12

Journal Entry 26 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, December 18, 2009

I received it yesterday, and I am looking forward to reading it.
I haven't read any of Mr Huxley's books lately, and certainly not this one.
Looking forward to, thanks for sharing!
Eva

Journal Entry 27 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, January 29, 2012

I am currently reading it... and enjoying it!
Sorry that I kept it so long, I have already asked for Deepswamp's address, and the book will soon be on its way to her.
Eva

Journal Entry 28 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I have finished reading it; though I confess I was about to give up when I was by mid-book...
I share most of Danielle23's opinions; the past histories seem to be much more interesting than the bunch of spoiled rich people gathered together at Crome House, with too much free time on their hands.
Having recently read "On Chesil Beach", which deals with young people by the early 60's, I am amazed to find a character like Mary, who lives her sexuality in a quite modern way compared with Florence's repressions and lack of communication.
This being Mr Huxley's first novel, I haven't enjoyed it as much as "Brave New World" or the imaginative "After Many a Summer".
Thanks for the chance to read it, and sorry I kept it so long.
I am still waiting for Deepswamp's address.
Eva

Journal Entry 29 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/9/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Deepswamp, in Sweden.
Sorry for the long wait; I hope you'll like it!
Eva

Journal Entry 30 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Monday, February 13, 2012

Arrived safe! Looking forward!

Journal Entry 31 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Interesting:
"Crome Yellow is in the tradition of the English country house novel, as practiced most notably by Thomas Love Peacock, in which a diverse group of characters descend upon an estate to leech off the host. They spend most of their time eating, drinking, and holding forth on their personal intellectual conceits."

it is fascinating to read about such a slow way of life, when compared to what it is today ...
Asked for cat207´s adress

Journal Entry 32 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Monday, February 27, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/27/2012 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

Hi Australia, here I come!

Journal Entry 33 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, March 12, 2012

Great to see this one back from the dead!
Thank you Deepswamp for mailing on, and Caroley for including me in the bookray.
I have got a couple ahead of this one, but shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

Journal Entry 34 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Rather boring, wasn't it?

I'ved PMed FreePages for an address.

Journal Entry 35 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, April 12, 2012

FreePages hasn't been on the site for over 6 months, so with Caroley's permission I'll pass this book on elsewhere.

Heading to ababaigalit in Israel along with a wishlist tag game book. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 36 by ababaigalit at MODIIN, Modiin Israel on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Thanks Cat207 for the extra surprise book. Well I see that this has travelled a lot. Well I have a long TBR list' but the book will not stay on the shelf it will continue it's journey.