corner corner Ignorance is the Enemy of Love

Ignorance is the Enemy of Love
by Faarax M. J. Cawl | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingmynttiwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 12/23/2008

status (set by Chania): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ignorance is the Enemy of Love is an African love story. It tells of Calimaax, a Dervish who fought against the British, Italians and Ethiopians when they invaded Somalia at the turn of the century, and of his ill-starred love for Cawrala, whom he rescued from a shipwreck during one of his exploits.
This novel was the first major literary publication in the Somali language, which had no official orthography until 1972. It forms a bridge between the traditional and modern cultures of Somalia. While its form is an innovation, its theme is taken from an oral tradition, itself transmitted through the medium of Somalia's highly developed poetic art that has existed from time immemorial. The novel was received enthusiastically by the Somali public. It was widely read and used following the rapid transformation of the educational system after 1972. It is now being reprinted.

Faarax Cawl was born in Laasqoray in the Sanaag Region of Somalia. He has always been a committed Somali patriot and during the colonial period he actively supported the movement for the independence of his country. He is deeply interested in his country's oral literature and history, and keeps in constant touch with the traditional culture still preserved in rural areas.
Ignorance is the Enemy of Love is his first novel, and was followed by Garbaduubkii Gumeysiga (The Shackles of Colonialism) in 1978.

Translated from the Somali, with Introduction and Notes, by B. W. Andrzejewski.
Illustrations by Jaamac Cilmi Good.
Ignorance is the Enemy of Love, entitled in Somali Aqoondarro waa u nacab jacayl, was published in 1974 by Wasaaradda Hiddaha iyo Tacliinta Sare (the Ministry of Culture and Higher Education). First published in English by Zed Press in 1982.

Faarax Maxamed Jaamac Cawl

Journal Entry 2 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Bookray:

aetm Cork
microsquid Cobh
nut Dublin
KiwiinEngland Dublin

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, February 23, 2009

Thanks, myntti! It’s interesting to get a book that was originally written in Somali. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, March 09, 2009

I was more or less afraid that the book would be difficult to read because it’s based on folklore and oral history. It wasn’t. It’s not the best novel ever, to be honest, but I did enjoy it.
Introduction was interesting, notes & appendices were quite helpful. They and the story itself taught me a lot about Somali culture. I even think that I know how to pronounce Faarax Maxamed Jaamac Cawl. :)

Thank you for sharing, myntti! I’m so happy I had an opportunity to read this book.

I’m pretty busy right now but I’ll call Margih to see if we could meet over a cup of coffee soon. If not, I’ll get the book to her some other way.

2009 KTMC #18.

Journal Entry 5 by Margih from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tarna brought this book for me today, thanks :)

Journal Entry 6 by Margih from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, May 04, 2009

I enjoyed this book, it was a beautiful story about love. When I started to read this story I thought that it may be a difficult read but not at all! And it also gave a peek into Somali and the country´s religion and history.

Will send this to dotdot when I´ll get her address. Thanks myntti for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 7 by dotdot from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Book arrived today. Thank you, Margih. I finish Treasure Island and start reading this then.

Journal Entry 8 by dotdot from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

To be honest, I've read 13 books between this one and Treasure Island. I started this, but couldn't get into it and read other books. Finally I got this story read. There are many poems and lamentations and some letters in the text, and they made reading difficult for me. Story itself was quite a classic love story, Romeo and Juliet of Somalia.

I'm sending the book to Annimanni.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 22, 2009

Book arrived today, thank you! I'll get to it straight away :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, July 02, 2009

The narrative was a bit long-winded for me and I had trouble concentrating on the story. I'm glad I read it though, it's always enjoyable to get to know different cultures through books.

Next off to Chania.

Journal Entry 11 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, July 06, 2009

Thanks, the book arrived today - and I will start it tonight!

Journal Entry 12 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Saturday, July 11, 2009

I quite agree with previous readers. The writing style was kind of beautiful, but otherwise the book wasn't too impressive. What amazed me was this " Our people regard love as an evel thing, especially on the part of women - for them it means death if people hear about it" - this shows me how little I know about some cultures, and I am glad I read this book and learned a bit more!

Now waiting to get the next person's address for the ring.