corner corner Why Do People Hate America?

Why Do People Hate America?
by Ziauddin Sardar, Merryl Wyn Davies | Nonfiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 12/19/2008

status (set by -solaria-): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 19, 2008

From the back:

"The economic power of US corporations and the virus-like power of American popular culture affect the lives and infect the indigenous cultures of millions around the world. The foreign policy of the US government, backed by its military strength, has unprecedented global influence now that the USA is the world's only superpower - its first 'hyperpower'.

America also exports its value systems, defining what it means to be civilised, rational, developed and democratic - indeed, what it is to be human. Meanwhile, the US itself is impervious to outside influence, and if most Americans think of the rest of the world at all, it is in terms of deeply ingrained cultural stereotypes.

Many people do hate America, in the Middle East and the developing countries as well as in Europe. Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies explore the global impact of America's foreign policy and its corporate and cultural power, placing this unprecedented dominance in the context of America's own perception of itself. In doing so, they consider TV and the Hollywood machine as a mirror which reflects both the American Dream and the American Nightmare. Their analysis provides an important contribution to a debate which needs to be addressed by people of all nations, cultures, religions and political persuasions."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

This book was published ten years ago (and that's when I originally bought it, too), yet it is still as relevant today. As one Amazon reviewer puts it, "the heart of this book is not why people hate America, but rather on how Americans have lost touch with reality." Having spent a year in Virginia in my teens and still maintaining close ties with my American family, I have a strong love-hate-relationship with the country. That's why reading this book - and following the presidential debate - makes me so sad. Recommended reading nevertheless.

Next off to MiuM as part of the Finnish forum's wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMiuMwing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Thank you for the book! It arrived already a couple of days ago, but I forgot to journal it.. sorry for that. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingMiuMwing at Kaarina, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, September 16, 2013

This was actually very thought provoking. Thank you for this.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMiuMwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/8/2014 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

I am taking the book to the year's first bc meet-up. If no one takes the book, it will be released in some other way.

Journal Entry 6 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

I took the book.

Journal Entry 7 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, April 13, 2014

A very interesting book, I read it quickly after opening the first page. The writers explain things so clearly! After reading this book, I would say that the short answer to the question is this: People hate America, because it always says one thing and then does the exact opposite. Nobody likes that.

Especially the chapter "America and the world as America" was a real eye-opener for me. "The World = America" explains so many things, from Americans tweeting "happy birthday America" on New Year's Eve and certain common TV and movie plot themes to American tourists abroad complaining about absent flags on 4th July (you know, the day when 'the world' is celebrating 'the independence of the world'). I too was once asked if I did anything special on St. Patrick's Day, and I wonder how many Americans have asked Europeans about their Thanksgiving celebrations...

I would recommend this book to everyone, it was one of the best non-fiction books I had read in ages.