corner corner Planes, Trains & Elephants

Planes, Trains & Elephants
by Brian Thacker | Travel
Registered by alkaline-kiwi of Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on 12/18/2008

status (set by wombles): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, December 18, 2008

Picked up from the New Lynn Lion's Club $1 booksale I went to back in August.

Taking this one with me down to Greymouth for holiday reading.

Journal Entry 2 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, January 12, 2009

Finished this one a few days ago but have been slack with journaling my thoughts.

Out of the three books by Brian Thacker I have read Rule No. 5... No Sex On The Bus is still my favourite. This book focuses on the journeys of travel, rather than the destinations. Some are very funny (I laughed out loud while reading on the plane) and some are pretty whacky/odd.

Am passing this one on to libertine101 as a RABCK, I hope she enjoys it

Journal Entry 3 by libertine101 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wow. You got it for $1!? Excellent! This was on my wishlist, so am really looking forward to it. I may save this one to read on the plane(s) back to home from Christchurch. :)

Journal Entry 4 by libertine101 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, April 27, 2009

I read this book during my flights back home after the BC Convention in Christchurch, New Zealand. It may have saved my sanity. 7+ hours of travel would have driven me nuts without an entertaining book to read.
Yes, this was another funny book by Thacker, and an apt one to read whilst on a plane.
It was fun to read about the different modes of transport he has tried, in various countries. I won't be getting on a toboggan in a hurry!
Or getting on a hovercraft, for that matter.
And as for Mongolia, as a whole - no way. I think I would starve to death there before I even attempt to ride one of their horses!

All in all, I like Thacker's sense of humour but as in his last book, there was one sour note - well...there are 2 in here, where he 'jokingly' alludes to wanting to do/or have happen to 2 dogs mentioned in some of the chapters. Yes, joking but not funny, Mister Thacker, not funny. Leave fantasies of cruelty to animals out of your books for once, ok?

Journal Entry 5 by libertine101 at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/18/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Posted off to wombles today.

Journal Entry 6 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 25, 2009

Thanks for this book Xanthi! It looks very interesting!
And I've actually been on a Hovercraft! When Expo88 was on they had them on the Brisbane river.