corner corner Red Harvest

Red Harvest
by Dashiell Hammett | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Caroley of not specified on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by Caroley from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

1001 books
Personville was known as Poisonville. And with good reason...

Donald Willsson was shot dead in the street when he launched a newspaper campaign to clean up the city.

But not before he had contacted the Continental op who arrived to be plunged into a blood-bath of battles betwen rival gangsters, embroiled in the wiles of a vitriolic femme fatale, and sucked into a cesspool of crime and corruption...

Journal Entry 2 by Caroley from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, January 10, 2009

Excellent! This had the lot - gangsters, bootleggers, private eyes and a femme fatale. Well written and the story just romped along.

Journal Entry 3 by Caroley from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, January 10, 2009

1001 books
A few guidelines:
1. Journal the book when you receive it so I know it arrived safely.
2. PM the next person and make a note that you've done so.
3. Take as much time as you need to read it, but try and move it along within a reasonable time.
4. Mail the book to the next person. PLEASE put on a JE or release note when you've done this.

Please PM me if you would like to join in. List is subject to order change depending upon shipping preference.

Wigglywoods (UK, post intl)
cally-c (UK, pref post EU)
Jellyfish67 (UK, post intl)
lucy-lemon (UK, post EU)
Deepswamp (Sweden, post intl)
Cat207 (Aust, pref post Aust)
Davemurray101 (Aust, post intl)
dastephan6 (US, post intl)
perryfran (US, post intl)

Journal Entry 4 by Caroley at on Sunday, January 11, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/11/2009 UTC) at

Sent by 2nd class mail.

Journal Entry 5 by WigglyWoods from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Received this morning - thanks Caroley, I'm looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 6 by WigglyWoods at on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/16/2009 UTC) at

Never read anything like this before - very fast paced, lots of violence, definitely an interesting read and one that kept me interested enough to read to the end. Thanks Caroley - posting on to cally-c today.

Journal Entry 7 by cally-c from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, January 19, 2009

Arrived this morning! Will read as soon as poss. Brilliant cover, very retro!

Journal Entry 8 by cally-c from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A great read, the story races along & takes you with it. Lots of double-crossing, detective work & a twisty plot. Enjoyed it very much.

Have PM'd Jellyfish67 & as soon as I have an address it will be on its way.

Thanks Caroley for sharing & WigglyWoods for sending it on.

Journal Entry 9 by jellyfish67 from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, February 16, 2009

Arrived safely over the weekend.

Journal Entry 10 by jellyfish67 at on Thursday, December 03, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/3/2009 UTC) at

Sorry for the delay, now on it's way.

Journal Entry 11 by lucy-lemon from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, December 07, 2009

Arrived this morning. Looks really good! I will try and get this read and travelling again asap.

Journal Entry 12 by lucy-lemon from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

A perfect book to read whilst spending the morning in bed (it was too cold to get out!) and a perfect antidote to all the critical theory I've been spending most of my time reading lately. I loved the twisting of the plot, and thought Dinah was a great character. Sending to DeepSwamp this afternoon.

Journal Entry 13 by lucy-lemon at on Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/8/2009 UTC) at

Sending to deepswamp to continue the ring.

Journal Entry 14 by wingDeepswampwing from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Arrived safe!

Journal Entry 15 by wingDeepswampwing from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, March 20, 2010

I´m sory i have kept the book so long!
It is a very good read! Fantastic, this copy published 1950.

* Red Harvest (1928; Röd skörd)
* The Dain Curse (1929; Förbannelsen)
* The Maltese Falcon (1930; Riddarfalken från Malta)
* The Glass Key (1931; Glasnyckeln)
* The Thin Man (1934; Den gäckande skuggan)

It will get on it´s travel as soon I have got Cat207s adress. There will be something more in the parcel...

Journal Entry 16 by cat207 from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, March 29, 2010

Arrived in today's mail, along with two other books! Thank you Deepswamp, and Caroley for sharing. X

Journal Entry 17 by cat207 from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, April 03, 2010

My, there's lots of smoking and drinking and shooting - very little eating or sleeping, and no time for showers!

Another one in the pile to go to Dave.

Journal Entry 18 by cat207 from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, April 05, 2010

Heading off in tomorrow's mail to davemurray101.

Journal Entry 19 by davemurray101 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Just recieved in the post today. thanks to Caroley and Cat207

Journal Entry 20 by davemurray101 from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, April 17, 2010

Very film-noir this one. One of the novels I can imagine my grandparents enjoying in the 1930s and 1940s. Now for its next journey to the United states - thanks again to Caroley for sharing.

Journal Entry 21 by davemurray101 at on Monday, April 19, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at

Posted to dastephan6 of Lawrence Mass today

Journal Entry 22 by dastephan6 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

will read as soon i can!

Journal Entry 23 by wingperryfranwing at on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Received in the mail today from dastephan6. Will read soon and pass on to another reader.

Thanks

This is No. 664 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 24 by wingperryfranwing at on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This is probably the first of the "hard-boiled" detective novels that were later written by such authors as Mickey Spillane, John D. MacDonald, and Robert Parker. I think this is the 3rd Hammett novel I've read and it's probably the best. The story of a private detective in the 1920s or 30s who goes to a mining town in the West (probably Montana) at the request of a client who is killed before he has a chance to talk to him. The town is totally corrupt, run by gangsters, bootleggers, and crooked cops. The detective decides to clean up the town and does so by starting a gang war. This probably had more violence, murders, and bloodshed than any other novel I've ever read, including recent thrillers such as the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Strong recommendation for this one.

Journal Entry 25 by wingperryfranwing at on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (11/22/2011 UTC) at

Sending to hyphen8 - a selection from the 1001 VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by winghyphen8wing at on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Received as part of flewry's US/Can 1001-Library VBB.

Thanks for sharing this!

I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I have met a little boy named Dashiell... :)

Journal Entry 27 by winghyphen8wing at on Monday, February 27, 2012

What a wild ride! Personville doesn't sound like a place I want to visit, but it makes for a good story. I did have to look up Bright's disease...

Journal Entry 28 by 1001-library at on Saturday, March 10, 2012

Thanks so much for your donation hyphen8!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf