corner corner The Pirate's Daughter

The Pirate's Daughter
by Margaret Cezair-Thompson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Heaven-Ali of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 12/13/2008

status (set by Mallary): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 13, 2008

An unforgettable story of love and adventure, spanning three decades of Jamaican history.

Jamaica, 1946. Errol Flynn washes up on the island in the Zaca, his storm-wrecked yacht. Ida Joseph, the teenaged daughter of a Port Antonio Justice of the Peace, is intrigued to learn that the ‘World’s Handsomest Man’ is on the island, and makes it her business to meet him. For the jaded swashbuckler, Jamaica is a tropical paradise that offers the tang of adventure and the promise of personal salvation: a freshness that Ida, unfazed as she is by his celebrity, seems to share. Soon Flynn has made a home for himself on Navy Island where he entertains the cream of Hollywood – and Ida has set her heart on this charismatic older man. Ida’s child, May, will meet her famous father only once.

The Pirate’s Daughter is a tale of passion and recklessness, of two generations of women and their battles for love and survival, and of a nation struggling to rise to the challenge of hard-won independence. Margaret Cezair-Thompson has fashioned a novel at once provocative, refreshingly original and as spellbinding as even the richest haul of pirate treasure.

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 13, 2008

I originally bought this book on a whim but in fact enjoyed this novel a lot. The author has captured, beatifully the feel of Jamaica, the lilting cadence of the patois and the history of pirates, adventurers, movie stars, and troubled politics. The story is really that of Ida and her daughter May, Errol Flynn is a minor player in a much bigger story. The novel charts over thirty years of history and changing times in an Island paradise. A great story makes this a good old page turner, and there were some intersting revelations at the end - which I hadn't expected.

Int'l Ray starting soon

Fushmush UK (UK)
Sjr1969 UK (UK)
safrolistics UK
Iagegu - UK (int)
teggers - UK (Eur)
AngelaMurdoch - UK (Int)
Scruffykaz - UK (Int)

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (12/31/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 4 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

It has arrived. I have 1.5 bookrays ahead of it. Thanks for sharing :D

Journal Entry 5 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 19, 2009

I have mixed feelings about this novel. Although, it was an enjoyable enough read, I don’t think it ever really discovered its purpose. Essentially it’s a book about Ida growing up and then May, her daughter, growing up. It’s also a book about Jamaica growing up as a country.

The novel swaps perspective half way through. From Ida to May. I think maybe it would have worked better if the author had concentrated on one character. I kept waiting for a climax that never actually happened.

Hrmm, I don’t know. It just didn’t do it for me.

As an aside, did anyone else want to add "Ethel" to the title? Ethel: The Pirate’s Daughter.

I will be sending this one on soon. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by fushmush at sent to the the next bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 23, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (1/23/2009 UTC) at sent to the the next bookcrosser, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Posted today.

Journal Entry 7 by sjr1969 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 24, 2009

recieved this morning, added to my list of TBRs

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by sjr1969 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

This was a good book for the first 3rd, but I kind of lost the plot for the last 2 3rds.

overall I did enjoy it.

I will contact the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 9 by sjr1969 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, March 05, 2009

sending to safrolistics today.

Journal Entry 10 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 08, 2009

Received in the post, and as always, have a book to finish before I start this.

Journal Entry 11 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Friday, March 27, 2009

On the whole I didn't really enjoy this book all that much, some of the history was interesting, but I just felt the book went on too long with not a lot happening.

I'll be sending this off in the next few days.

Journal Entry 12 by Safrolistics at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 27, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Being posted off to the next person.

Journal Entry 13 by teggers from Mansfield, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, May 03, 2009

I got this a few weeks ago but have just had a chance to enter it in. This could not have come at a worst time for me with exams and final papers so I'll be sending it on to the next person, though I do hope I get to read it some time in the future.

Journal Entry 14 by teggers at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, May 07, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/7/2009 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

No one else on the list wanted to take this so I'm RABACKing it to a bookcrosser who had it on their wishlist.
Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 15 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thanks so much for sending me this book! I only put it on my wishlist very recently so it's fantastic to have a copy so quickly!
As soon as I have read this I will send it back to you teggers, then you can read it at your leisure after your finals perhaps.
Good luck with your exams.
Thanks again.