corner corner Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps

Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps
by Dave Isay | Nonfiction
Registered by TaleofGenji of North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Thursday, December 04, 2008

status (set by dancing-dog): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by TaleofGenji from North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Thursday, December 04, 2008

My Aunt said, "This is a book that needs to be passed on." I got it in the mail on a Monday, was super, super busy, but just couldn't stop reading it with every stolen moment I could find. I finished it on Thursday and I'm sending it on its journey.

LGinder
KarmelK
merrymari
Bug2004
sunfi
jumpingin
hyphen8
Ctychic

I will add to this list as needed.

I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I have.

Journal Entry 2 by TaleofGenji at Dove Canyon, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, December 05, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/5/2008 UTC) at Dove Canyon, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Delivery Confirmation Number 0308 1400 0001 8974 9037. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by LGinder on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Book made it safely here today. Will read and pass along after the holiday mailing frenzy has past.

Journal Entry 4 by LGinder on Friday, December 19, 2008

What an amazing book and project this is! I got to the end and have to admit being sad that it was done. I agree, it does need to be passed on, and on. If you go onto the StoryCorps web site you can actually click on stories and hear the actual recordings of people which I found fascinating also. Plus it gives you instructions on how to record your own story or help someone else record theirs. Thanks so much for passing this gem along and introducing me to this wonderful organization.

I have Karmelk's mailing information although I'm going to hold off mailing it until after the holiday rush to avoid the postal madhouse. I'll attach another post to this journal entry when the book goes out (most likely the week of the 29th).

Journal Entry 5 by LGinder at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 21, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (12/21/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending this off to the next participant, karmelk, enjoy!

Note: Book was mailed out 12/29/08

Journal Entry 6 by KarmelK from Jerome, Michigan USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This naughty book was playing hookey somewhere. It showed up today, rather tardy and proud of itself.
I promptly gave it a talking to and it promises to be on time to the next ringee.
I'll read it after my current book and then send it on.
Thanks for starting this ctychic and to LG for getting it to me! KK

Journal Entry 7 by KarmelK from Jerome, Michigan USA on Thursday, January 22, 2009

I like listening to the Saturday NPR shows because they remind me of my two years in Spain with my Air Force husband where my first two babies were born. We had no TV and listened to the old time radio shows. This Story project has been featured on NPR and I've really enjoyed reading the stories. I read most of thme and liked the wooden leg story the best. Thanks ladies. Sending on as soon as I get the info. Blessings, KK

Journal Entry 8 by merrymari on Friday, February 06, 2009

I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for hosting the ring/ray.

2/23/09-------------------

My favorite stories were: the wooden leg tales, and the story about the bus driver who was kind to the cancer patient. Good stuff. It is nice to read a book with a positive message once in awhile, as a change from the mysteries/thriller/crime/politico stuff I am usually devouring. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 9 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, February 20, 2009

Re'cvd today. Look forward to it! Thanks for sharing!!

Journal Entry 10 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Delightful. A heartwarming, positive group of stories. When I first started, I was a bit bored, but as I progressed I had a hard time tearing myself away. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks to Ctychic for allowing me to keep it for an extra amount of time. Sorry to have kept it for so long!

Off to sunfi tomrrw.

Journal Entry 11 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, May 29, 2009

Just caught this one in Ohio, I have a number of other rings/rays ahead of it but I'll have it on it's way as soon as I can. Thanks Bug2004 for sending it to me and thanks Ctychic for including me in this ring.

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 29, 2009

I completed this last night (I started it yesterday) all I can say is 'Wow'. The quilt of stories that was created was awe-inspiring, I think this should be required reading for all Americans. You can really feel the love and compassion that most of these folks had for one another. I'll have this book on its way in the next day or so. Thanks for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 13 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (6/30/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Sent off to the next reader, it should arrive in the next few weeks.

Journal Entry 14 by wingjumpinginwing from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The book has arrived and I will read it as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading. Thanks, sunfi, for sending it.

Journal Entry 15 by wingjumpinginwing from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, July 31, 2009

I can only echo the previous comments. Wow! I meant to read this a few stories at a time while I was reading another book I'd already started, but I got so engrossed in these stories that the first book sits forgotten on my nightstand (and it's a good book, too!).

By the time I'd gotten to the fifth (or so) story, I'd already ordered a copy of this to send to someone I know will love it.

I have hyphen8's address and will send this book out as soon as possible. My car's in the shop right now, so it might have to wait a day or two.

Thanks, Ctychic and Ctychic's aunt, for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 16 by wingjumpinginwing at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/4/2009 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet, British Columbia Canada

The book is now on its way, by surface mail, to hyphen8. Thanks again for including me in this ring!

Journal Entry 17 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Received today. This is one of two rings to arrive today, and I had another arrive on Friday, but this book will go on the top of the TBR stack..I love listening to StoryCorps, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

Thanks for including me, and special thanks to jumpingin for the postage stamps for my mother's collection!

Journal Entry 18 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, September 11, 2009

StoryCorps is a terrific idea, and the book is as wonderful as the radio broadcasts. So many people have great stories to tell!

I've been reading a few of these every day and I was sad when I got to the end - I'll miss my fix! :p

Thanks so much for including me in this ring.

PMing Ctychic (just don't ask me to pronounce that) to see where I should send this book next.

Journal Entry 19 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 12, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/12/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailed home to Ctychic today. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by TaleofGenji from North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Book arrived back home safely and brought some friends with it. Thank you hyphen8 for the bookmarks and postcard! I hope you all enjoyed this ring.

Journal Entry 21 by TaleofGenji at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Monday, November 16, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/16/2009 UTC) at Cordova, Tennessee USA

Sending this on to continue its journey. I hope many more people find and enjoy this book as much as its previous readers. Putting in Kaila-Ann's Mixed Bag Book Box.

Journal Entry 22 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, November 20, 2009

This book looked unusual and interesting so I've snatched it out of kaila-ann's Mixed Bag Bookbox. Judging by the JEs here, I think I've got a winner! Thanks Ctychic for putting it in the box :=D

Journal Entry 23 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, February 13, 2010

I found these stories absolutely fascinating. Wow, it's a little astounding how touching and moving the stories of ordinary people are. We are really all in this together and so much more alike than we think. And not only a wonderful book but a fantastic program of listening and recording oral histories. I am bookmarking the website. I feel very grateful for finding this book and will find a way to good way to pass it on for others to enjoy. Thanks for sharing :=D

Journal Entry 24 by dancing-dog at Book Box, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 21, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/21/2010 UTC) at Book Box, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Adding this to elizardbreath's Books People Would Actually Read bookbox - enjoy!