corner corner The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese Falcon
by Dashiell Hammett | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Findabair of St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 12/3/2008

status (set by LeishaCamden): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Findabair from St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

This is a true classic - a highly entertaining mystery taking place in the US during the days of the Prohibition.

From www.amazon.com :

Amazon.com Review
Sam Spade, Dashiell Hammett's archetypally tough San Francisco detective, is more noir than L.A. Confidential and more vulnerable than Raymond Chandler's Marlowe. In The Maltese Falcon, the best known of Hammett's Sam Spade novels (including The Dain Curse and The Glass Key), Spade is tough enough to bluff the toughest thugs and hold off the police, risking his reputation when a beautiful woman begs for his help, while knowing that betrayal may deal him a new hand in the next moment.

Spade's partner is murdered on a stakeout; the cops blame him for the killing; a beautiful redhead with a heartbreaking story appears and disappears; grotesque villains demand a payoff he can't provide; and everyone wants a fabulously valuable gold statuette of a falcon, created as tribute for the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. Who has it? And what will it take to get it back? Spade's solution is as complicated as the motives of the seekers assembled in his hotel room, but the truth can be a cold comfort indeed.

Spade is bigger (and blonder) in the book than in the movie, and his Mephistophelean countenance is by turns seductive and volcanic. Sam knows how to fight, whom to call, how to rifle drawers and secrets without leaving a trace, and just the right way to call a woman "Angel" and convince her that she is. He is the quintessence of intelligent cool, with a wise guy's perfect pitch. If you only know the movie, read the book. If you're riveted by Chinatown or wonder where Robert B. Parker's Spenser gets his comebacks, read the master. --Barbara Schlieper --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Review
"Dashiell Hammett. . . is a master of the detective novel, yes, but also one hell of a writer." --The Boston Globe

"The Maltese Falcon is not only probably the best detective story we have ever read, it is an exceedingly well written novel."--The Times Literary Supplement (London)

"Hammett's prose [is] clean and entirely unique. His characters [are] as sharply and economically defined as any in American fiction."--The New York Times

Journal Entry 2 by Findabair at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/8/2008 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Given to Leisha Camden at the meetup yesterday.

Journal Entry 3 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Got this from Findabair at the meetup yesterday. Pretty sure this isn't my kind of book, but it is one of the 1001 books, so ... :-)

Journal Entry 4 by LeishaCamden at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, June 13, 2014

Finally got around to reading this, believe it or not ... !! Finished it yesterday. Shame on me for keeping it for so long. Better late than never? :-) As I thought it wasn't quite my kind of book, but rather entertaining nonetheless. The kind of writing that you never find nowadays. The plot wasn't quite as I expected, I felt it was a little unsatisfying. What became of the falcon?? Was it ever even real? :-)

Journal Entry 5 by LeishaCamden at -- Somewhere in York in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 13, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/13/2014 UTC) at -- Somewhere in York in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I'll be released this book somewhere in York today ... not sure where yet, but somewhere in the city center. Probably indoors as it's rather overcast and may rain today.

Happy travels, little book! :-)

EDIT: I left the book in Cafe Nero on King's Square.