corner corner We're Not All Like That

We're Not All Like That
by Jeanne Goosen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by klaradyn of Praha, Praha Czech Republic on 11/26/2008

status (set by SophieMops): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

From the back cover:
"What does a pretty 1950's Afrikaans housewife do when the walls start closing in? When her husband is an embittered Ben Schoeman supporter who struggles with an asthma pump, and her father sees communists and Catholics behind every bush? When the only relief is the annual ATKV concert in Hartenbos? And when her salt-of-the-earth neighbours are suddenly forced to pack up and move away?
Through the eyes of a child, Jeanne Goosen tells the story of how Doris van Greunen tries to break out of her world: with visits to the bioscope, with her Cavallas, with friends like Aunt Mavis and Uncle Tank. And with Barnie, the swank."

This translation of a modern Afrikaans classic is by André P. Brink.

Journal Entry 2 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/12/2009 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Will be sent to Haugtussa in Norway later today, as I promised to send her a book from South Africa. Sorry it took me so long :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, April 13, 2009

I got back from my Easter holiday yesterday and this book was waiting for me! I have already started reading it - sometimes I just can't wait! I can't wait to see if Doris manages to sort out her life somehow...

Thanks for sending me the book klaradyn.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, April 16, 2009

I really did enjoy this book. I thought it was well written and very thought provoking. Have to admit that I got quite mad at some of the rasist people described in the book. Something that tells me that Jeanne Goosen has managed to write a realistic novel.
I liked to follow Doris's path in life, trying to find herself. Whether I'm happy with the choice she made in the end is another thing.
At times I had problems with some of the words! Who were the kaffirs and the hotnots? (I managed to sort it out though). Even so this did not interfer with the pleasure of reading this bok.

So, thank you again klaradyn for sending this book to me.
I think I'll make it into a ring, as I'd like more people to read the book.

Please read the book within a month. Enjoy.

Ring participants:

Cross-patch - UK
gunvor - Denmark
hawksgirl - USA/Tanzania

Back home to me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, May 11, 2009

The book has started it's journey!

Journal Entry 6 by muzette on Thursday, May 14, 2009

The book made it home safely. I have two other books to read before, but then I'll get to this one as quickly as possible.

P.S. love the inside Bookcrossing sticker!

Journal Entry 7 by muzette on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I have found the book particularly interesting. You get a perfect representation of a typical religious patriarchal Afrikaner family in the 50's. The book also provides a great insight into the Afrikaner mind set of this era when South Africa is going through major changes - the introduction of Apartheid and the Group Areas Act which forces the neighbours of Gertie to move out, and for Doris to yell "we're not all like that".

This woman unfortunately thinks that happiness comes from another person. It cannot come from inside. What a shame! So, she is waiting for "her man" to make her feel happy, then for the movies, then for spirituality... A little sad when you think about it!

Journal Entry 8 by XIV-590003 on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Thanks muzette & haugtussa. I'm trying to get through Crome Yellow at the moment, hope to start this one next week, looks good.

Journal Entry 9 by XIV-590003 at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 09, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/9/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

thank you. i didn't find the mother's dissatisfaction with her life completely justified, all she needed to be happy was her daughter, of course we all need variety and stimulation which she clearly lacks but what i'm trying to say is that her biggest contribution and reward could have been to focus on her daughter's wellbeing. then again perhaps she had to find herself before she could be a model for her daughter and the only way she could expand her horizons was by following or relying on people who didn't have her best interests at heart. i admire her open-mindedness and determination to keep searching for a better life and a more profound happiness. book is on its way to arturogrande.

Journal Entry 10 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, July 13, 2009

Thanks very much - I've got no rings or rays ahead of this one so I'll get to it straight away.

Journal Entry 11 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, July 27, 2009

An interesting look at the political changes in 1950s South Africa through the eyes of a child - although it's hard to determine exactly how old Gertie van Greunen is. At times she seems to be on the verge of her teens, while at others she seems to be very naive and childish. Her spirited and beautiful mother Doris is a peculiar character, as she doesn't subscribe to the prevailing views of the day, and is at pains to point out to her 'coloured' neighbours that "we're not all like that".
It is chilling to think that racism pervaded every element of society and even God-fearing, church-going Christians thought it was perfectly acceptable to despise whole sections of the community purely because of the colour of their skin.
The ending was not what I expected, but while unusual, it was probably better for not being the most obvious way of ending the story.
I managed to 'translate' most of the words which are particular to Afrikaans - the only one I had trouble with was 'Slams'. I eventually looked it up and found that it meant a person from the Cape Malay community, descended from Muslim slaves.
Thanks very much for sharing this book. It's now on its way to Fluffy-Owl.

Journal Entry 12 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, July 31, 2009

Received yesterday, thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 13 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, August 06, 2009

I did enjoy this book. I spent my gap year as a volunteer in a school in KwaZulu-Natal and fell completely in love with South Africa. This has made me want to read as much as I can about the history of the country. This is the first time I've read a South African book originally written in Afrikaans, and as such I think it gave a slightly different perspective on the changing political situation around the time the book is set. I did enjoy the story, although I thought the end was a tad odd. I would like to know what the future held for some of the main characters. Following from what other people have said, whilst I knew much of the colloquial language already, a glossary would be helpful, I think.

Have PM-ed the next in line.

Journal Entry 14 by Fluffy-Owl at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, August 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/10/2009 UTC) at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom

Posting off today, hope it travels well and arrives safely.

Journal Entry 15 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thank you all for getting it here. I shall read and pass on as soon as poss. I am looking forward to the experience.

Journal Entry 16 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 09, 2009

I found this book very interesting, not least because it is my first introduction to an Africaans viewpoint on the S Africa of those times. I visited the Voortrekker Museum a few years ago and I was impressed by the intrepid Afrikaans as displayed there.

Thank you for the chance to read it.

Journal Entry 17 by wingCross-patchwing at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/9/2009 UTC) at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 18 by gunvor from Herlev, København Amt Denmark on Monday, September 21, 2009

Thanks for passing the book to me. I picked it up from the post office today and will soon start reading.

Journal Entry 19 by gunvor from Herlev, København Amt Denmark on Thursday, October 15, 2009

I really liked this book and the setting in South Africa. I was struck by how boring their life was, I think someone else also mentioned it, that the mother was always waiting for something to happen so everything would be better. It is hard to understand the racism in the society when you haven't experienced it yourself, but I think Jeanne Goosen storytelling made it very real to me. A book that leaves an impression.

Journal Entry 20 by gunvor at a bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 28, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/28/2010 UTC) at a bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The book is on it's way from snowy Denmark to Tanzania.

Journal Entry 21 by hawksgirl from Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sorry I didn't journal when I received it 2 weeks ago; the internet was out. Wow, that was a strange and interesting book. It felt very real, the way that the mother kept searching for happiness in different places, and the way she hid her opinions and thoughts to keep other people happy. Ultimately, I felt sad for the daughter and the effect of her mother's life changes on her. A very good book, thank you for letting me read it. Sending to Haugtussa tomorrow.

Journal Entry 22 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The book made it safely back home - thanks to all the participants of this ring.

Journal Entry 23 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/6/2010 UTC) at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

The book is travelling again!

Journal Entry 24 by SophieMops at Värnamo, Småland Sweden on Monday, October 11, 2010

Received it today as a RABCK

Journal Entry 25 by SophieMops at Värnamo, Småland Sweden on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I am not quite sure what this book was all about. It seemed to me that it hardly started before it ended.
Some interesting insights into South African life at the start of apartheid, but that theme seems just like a background. It is not clear what will happen to Gertrude and her mother, as we don't know whether the mother will actually stick to religion or if that is just a passing fad for her.
In all I liked the book pretty well, but I would have liked to have "more" of it!

Journal Entry 26 by SophieMops at Biblioteket in Värnamo, Småland Sweden on Saturday, October 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/30/2011 UTC) at Biblioteket in Värnamo, Småland Sweden