corner corner Waiting To Exhale

Waiting To Exhale
by Terry McMillan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by cyber-librarian of Cary, North Carolina USA on Thursday, December 04, 2008

status (set by cyber-librarian): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Thursday, December 04, 2008

I bought this book on 11/23 at the library book sale in Raleigh for an average of 14 cents per book.

c. 1992 -- 400 pages -- Paperback -- 6 weeks on the USA Today top-10 Bestseller list:
#2 on 12/31/95, 1/7/96 and 1/14
#5 on 1/21/96
#10 on 12/3/95 and 1/28/96

Back Cover: Robin Stokes is a successful insurance professional recovering from a dead-end love affair. "They say love is a 2-way street. But I don't believe it, because the one I've been on for the last 2 years was a dirt road." After months of depression, shopping, and dating all the wrong men, she's getting by with a little help from her friends -- and still determined to find the Real Thing. Bernadine Harris has the kids, the house, and the BMW, but a young white bookkeeper has her husband. Now, propped by her prescription for Xanax and her first pack of cigarettes in 106 days, she's entering a whole new world.

Gloria Matthews owns one of the few stylish beauty salons for black women in Phoenix, and finds solace in religion, her teenaged son, other people's hair, and food. Her social and emotional bank accounts are low, but a sweet surprise is about to open up her life. Savannah Jackson is a public relations executive -- educated, attractive, and unmarried. On the verge of moving to her fourth city in 15 years, she's lobbying the Lord: "Could You send me a decent man? Could he be full of zest, and please, a slow, tender, passionate lover -- and could he already be what he aspired to?"