corner corner The Book of Ruth

The Book of Ruth
by Jane Hamilton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Geologygirl of Cary, North Carolina USA on 4/30/2003

status (set by Rosemari): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Geologygirl from Cary, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Ebay lot of books - add to summer reading pile.

Journal Entry 2 by Geologygirl at Post Office on Academy St in downtown Cary in Cary, North Carolina USA on Thursday, August 28, 2003

Released on Thursday, August 28, 2003 at Post Office on Academy St in downtown Cary in Cary, North Carolina USA.

Bookrelay - Mailed to day to Salinger007.

Journal Entry 3 by salinger007 from Spartanburg, South Carolina USA on Saturday, August 30, 2003

Got it in the mail today. YAY! Thanks, GG!

Journal Entry 4 by salinger007 from Spartanburg, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, October 08, 2003

I really enjoyed this book. It tells the story of Ruth, a slow simple minded girl, growing up in Honey Creek, Illinois. Ruth, like all of us, has many lessons to learn about life. Unfortunately, she pays with all she has to earn this knowledge. She questions the validity of Christianity throughout the book, all the while learning the hard way what hate and meanness do to a persons soul. This is what I feel the author has done best in this book. She shows us the content of the characters souls. She goes beyond character development, and on into their spiritual development. I can't wait to read more books by Jane Hamilton.

Journal Entry 5 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Monday, November 03, 2003

received today from saliger007 via Bookrelay. Thanks so much for the opportunity to read this.

Journal Entry 6 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Friday, November 21, 2003

Wow...thats all I can say. Well, not quite ;) The atmosphere was oppressive in this book. Not that that is a bad thing. It made me feel just as trapped as young Ruth in the story of her life.
Which, in turn, made me identify with what this nightmare of a life had to be like for her. This book is beautifully written but for those more sensitive to atmosphere be warned...stock up on anti-depressants;-) 'cause you are in for a heck of a ride.

Journal Entry 7 by jamieh2003 at on Sunday, December 07, 2003

Release planned for Monday, December 08, 2003 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

to brewski via USPS surface mail

Journal Entry 8 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 18, 2003

Received in trade from jamieh2003 for The Kitchen God's Wife.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this in my mailbox today...I wasn't expecting it so quickly. Anyhow, thanks for the book and the postcard. I'm looking forward to reading this book soon and letting it continue on its journey.

Journal Entry 9 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 02, 2004

This was a very well written book...although it was a bit depressing to read. But all in all I really enjoyed reading this and will keep my eye out for more of Ms Hamilton's writing.

Journal Entry 10 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 03, 2004

Offered on CasualReader's BookRelay site.

Journal Entry 11 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 04, 2004

Going to mcbeth in Miami, Florida USA.

June/07/2004:
Mailed out today

Journal Entry 12 by mcbeth from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, June 14, 2004

Arrived today, thanks so much brewski! Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 13 by mcbeth from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, December 09, 2005

This was an incredibly moving story with remarkable sensitivity to Ruth's complicated emotions and life circumstances. The best writing comes toward the end and I couldn't put it down until I had finished it.

Journal Entry 14 by mcbeth at Controlled Release in Santa Gertrudis de Fruitera, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, December 12, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (12/15/2005 UTC) at Controlled Release in Santa Gertrudis de Fruitera, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain

This book will be released in Ibiza.

Journal Entry 15 by Rosemari on Monday, June 23, 2008

As Hilma Wolitzer says: "A disturbing and beautiful book"

This book will be released to a friend--in loving memory of mcbeth.