corner corner One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
by Ken Kesey | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Jozebedee of Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

status (set by lauraloo29): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Boisterous, ribald, and ultimately shattering, Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is the seminal novel of the 1960s that has left an indelible mark on the literature of our time. Here is the unforgettable story of a mental ward and its inhabitants, especially the tyrannical Big Nurse Ratched and Randle Patrick McMurphy, the brawling, fun-loving new inmate who resolves to oppose her. We see the struggle through the eyes of Chief Bromden, the seemingly mute half-Indian patient who witnesses and understands McMurphy's heroic attempt to do battle with the awesome powers that keep them all imprisoned.

Journal Entry 2 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reserved for bookowl1000.

Journal Entry 3 by Jozebedee at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, September 14, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (9/14/2009 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way! ENJOY :)

Journal Entry 4 by bookowl1000 from FoShan, Guangdong China on Thursday, September 17, 2009

Arrived safely this morning, many thanks for your kind gift.

I am planning on watching the movie this evening and plan to read the book soon (though I wIll not have time for a few weeks yet. I am told that the book and film are told from the perspectives of different characters inthe story, it will be interesting to make the comparison.

Journal Entry 5 by bookowl1000 from FoShan, Guangdong China on Saturday, December 26, 2009

I have been reading this book for months; it kept on being pushed to the side as bookrays/rings turned up, so today I decided to find somewhere quiet and finish the book. I found it much more interesting than the film as I gained a greater insight into the background and motives of the characters.

The book does show easily people can be coerced, and how easily they learn to accept the status quo. It made me think about what is worse, being violently victimised or being subtlety manipulated without even realising that you are being controlled. The power struggle between McMurphy and Nurse Ratched could never have a happy ending. I can’t really comment further on what happened because I do not want to spoil the story for others.

Thanks for sending this my way. I plan to release at a coffee shop in my town, which is an official book crossing zone. It will have to wait until after the xmas holiday though, as at the moment the Christmas tree is in the way of the shelves.

Journal Entry 6 by bookowl1000 at Coffee#1 in Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, January 03, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at Coffee#1 in Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom

To be left on the bookshelf in the coffee shop: an official book crossing zone. I am hoping that I canfinally back get at the shelves again if the Christmas tree is gone.

If you were lucky enough to find it please journal to say where you found it, and then what you thought of it. When you have finished with the book please release it for someone else to enjoy.

Keep its journey alive.

Journal Entry 7 by bookowl1000 from FoShan, Guangdong China on Tuesday, January 05, 2010

I changed my mind about how to release this book, thank goodness no-one had picked it up.

I am currently reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King, which Lauraloo29 kindly sent me. I have been on the lookout when in charity shops for something on her wishlist to send as a thankyou. After, I released this book it occured to me that it is on her wishlist. So, it will soon be on its way to Canada.

Journal Entry 8 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 18, 2010

What a nice surprise! Thank you!