corner corner The Pleasure of my Company

The Pleasure of my Company
by Steve Martin | Humor
Registered by michyj of Daglish, Western Australia Australia on 11/12/2008

status (set by michyj): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, November 12, 2008

From Amazon.com:
Daniel Pecan Cambridge is the narrator and central consciousness of the novel (actually a novella). Daniel, an ex-Hewlett-Packard communiqué encoder, is a savant whose closely proscribed world is bounded on every side by neuroses and obsessions. He cannot cross the street except at driveways symmetrically opposed to each, and he cannot sleep unless the wattage of the active light bulbs in his apartment sums to 1,125. Daniel's starved social life is punctuated by twice-weekly visits from a young therapist in training, Clarissa; by his prescription pick-ups from a Rite Aid pharmacist, Zandy; and by his "casual" meetings with the bleach-blond real estate agent, Elizabeth, who is struggling to sell apartments across the street. But Daniel's dysfunctional routines are shattered one day when he becomes entangled in the chaos of Clarissa's life as a single mother. Taking care of Clarissa's tiny son, Teddy, Daniel begins to emerge from the safety of logic, magic squares, and obsessive counting.

Journal Entry 2 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This book was sent to me by briz-cowgirl. I won the happy smile day rabck contest and she was kind enough to send me a book off my wishlist. Since she never registered it, I wanted people to know it originally came from her.

Journal Entry 3 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, April 19, 2009

I read this book in record time. Great story with an even better ending. Interesting to read a book from the perspective of a man with many neurotic behaviours.

Journal Entry 4 by michyj at Perth Airport Domestic terminal in Perth Airport - Domestic, Western Australia Australia on Monday, September 06, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (9/7/2010 UTC) at Perth Airport Domestic terminal in Perth Airport - Domestic, Western Australia Australia

Will leave this in the departure seats for a Brisbane flight.