corner corner Coyote Blue

Coyote Blue
by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 11/15/2008

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, November 15, 2008

This is an extra copy, but it was only 50 cents, so how could I let it just sit there?

Thinking of starting a bookray for this one if there's any interest.

The first copy on my bookshelf is here.

Additional copies:

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hoping to get this out in the next few days. This is what the order looks like now; if anybody else joins it might change a little as I try to fit people's shipping preferences. Please be sure to check this list before you send the book to the next person.

1. LadyKnightNiko (Ohio, US)
2. JerrilynnL (Colorado, US)

What was that about rabid squirrels? Did they escape from a Joe Lansdale book? ;)
Also, CM's website says
Fool is coming out Feb. 10th, 2009.

3. andr0id (Missouri, US) impromptu ray participant
4. icekween01 (Missouri, US)
5. ivylibra224 (Missouri, US)
6. 2of3Rs (formerly known as smilingheron) (Oregon, US)
7. leeny37 (Australia)
8. mrbaggins1 (South Africa)
9. teachie (UK) skipped - has another copy
10. weebly (UK)
11. molekilby (UK) will ship international <- as of March 2012, book seems to still be here
12. katacs (Hungary) - no longer interested?
13. MarcThomas (France) - transferring to new copy
14. JennyC1230 (Georgia, US) - transferring to new copy
15. imawinn2 (Wisconsin, US) - got another copy

Wish I could travel with this book (or at least get the stamps)! If anybody needs the order changed please let me know ASAP.

Please try to keep this moving so that nobody has to wait too long. If you think you'll need to keep the book longer than a few weeks please journal and let us know what's happening.

Forum thread for signups here.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, November 28, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (11/28/2008 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailed to LadyKnightNiko today. Run Samson, run! ;)

Journal Entry 4 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Thursday, December 04, 2008

This arrived a few days ago and I forgot to journal- sorry! I'm in the middle of two books right now, but I should have this finished within the next week or so (a bit slower than usual due to exam week next week.)

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Saturday, December 06, 2008

I think this is the 5th book that I've read by this author, and sadly it was the worst. I couldn't become attached or even sympathetic to any of the characters, and I couldn't find this one humorous at all.

Thanks for sharing. I'll mail this out the next time I get paid.

Journal Entry 6 by LadyKnightNiko at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 11, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/11/2008 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Ran into some extra cash, so this is being mailed out today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by JerrilynnL from Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Book arrived safely, although the mailer apparently attacked by a hoard of rabid squirrels. Looking forward to reading!

LOL! About the rabid squirrels -- that's the first thing I thought when I saw the poor mailing envelope -- looked like some mad squirrels got at it!

Journal Entry 8 by JerrilynnL from Denver, Colorado USA on Sunday, January 04, 2009

Loved it! Moore's books are hard to put down but I hate getting to the end and being done. They're like a fine tequila that should be sipped. I really enjoyed this one. I think I only have one other Moore book I haven't read yet. Hope he's got more in the hopper -- what an imagination.

I'm sending it off to icekween01 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by andr0id from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, January 19, 2009

Borrowed from icekween01.

I though it was well worth the read. It didn't break into the top three Christopher Moore books on my list, but it was perfect for a lazy day off work! (Besides, I'm a sucker for trickster stories.)

Returned to icekween01.

Journal Entry 10 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, January 19, 2009

Sorry for the late entry. I let andr0id read it first since I was in the middle of reading another book and we are both fans of Christopher Moore. I am starting it now and hope to have it traveling again shortly.

Journal Entry 11 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Cute. I was amused. Not my fave Christopher Moore book but worth reading. Quick, easy and light. I have the next participant's address but won't get a chance to put it in the mail until next week as we are going out of town tomorrow. Will send it as soon as I get back to get it moving again. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by icekween01 at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 14, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/14/2009 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

sent to the next participant on the list ivylibra224.

Thanks for including me in this bookray!

Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 13 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Received today. I'll get started on it in a few days.

Journal Entry 14 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Who knew Christopher Moore could make me cry? Wow! I loved this one! I think it's my fave so far!

Journal Entry 15 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sent to smilingheron today. enjoy.

Journal Entry 16 by 2of3Rs from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

just received...I am finishing another book but then will get right to it. am looking forward to reading it...thanks hyphen8 for starting the ring!

Journal Entry 17 by 2of3Rs from Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Sunday, March 29, 2009

I quite enjoyed this...one of my favorite Christopher Moore books. I loved the characters, their dilemmas, the story, the whole coyote trickster thing. It was great.

AND...

"You know, the Indians used to change their names as they grew up and their personalities changed or when they did certain things, like Walks Across the Desert and stuff like that. Did you know that?"

...seemed apropos with my recent BC screen name change (from smilingheron to 2of3Rs)

The book is on its way to leeny37 in Australia...

Journal Entry 18 by 2of3Rs at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 29, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/25/2009 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

sent to leeny37 as part of the ring...

Journal Entry 19 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I have the book! Thanks for sharing and I'll try to get to it soon.

From Amazon.com:
This is an accelerating comedy with shadows setting off the wry, polished humor. Trickster deities thrive on contrariety, which is why one finds them bringing life into dead landscapes and disorder into order. A Santa Barbara insurance salesman's too-tidily-contained lifestyle, far from the Crow reservation he grew up on, is an irresistible target for Coyote, who wants to make sure his chosen people don't forget him. Coyote descends on Sam Hunter like one of Job's plagues, albeit a charmingly disingenuous one. "Why me? Why not someone who believes?" asks Sam, suffering from god-induced chaos. "This is more fun," says Coyote. He's right.

Journal Entry 20 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Sorry for the delay but I've finally gotten round to reading this book. I'm still fairly new to Christopher Moore's work but so far, his books have never failed to entertain me. Coyote Blue is no exception with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments - my husband was seriously worried that I was going to fall off the bed eventually from the cackling. I don't know enough about Indian gods to fully understand the underlying mythology referenced in the book but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story. Moore spins some really zany scenarios and you just have to go along for the ride. The protagonist, Samson Hunts Alone, is a likeable guy and as a reader, I couldn't help but cheer him on as he goes on his quest with the crazy god by his side. However, my absolutely favourite character would have to be Minty Fresh - how does someone even begin to imagine naming a character that?! The book is by no means perfect but it's easy to overlook the flaws and just be pulled into the story and enjoy every minute of it. I know I did!

Thanks for sharing and I'll post this soon to the next participant to get this bookray moving again.

Journal Entry 21 by leeny37 at Forest Hill, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/3/2009 UTC) at Forest Hill, Victoria Australia

Mailing this to mrbaggins1, the next participant for the bookray. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 22 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, June 12, 2009

Arrived safely in South Africa today. Strange how varied the views of previous journalers are! Book has done some hard traveling & the cover dog-eared but still readable. Got a couple of rings/rays in front of this one but I should get around to this in a week or two.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 23 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, July 02, 2009

This is the second of Moore's books that I've read (Biff was the other) and I found it the best of the two. I laughed so much at stages reading this in bed that heartgirl thought I was having a seizure. I loved Coyote's Las Vegas experiences and the following passage (Posted on my Live Journal) is really quite tongue-in-the-cheek funny

I have other Moore books on Mt TBR, when I'll get 'round to reading them I dunno. Thanks the Lord they're not rings/rays.

Thanks for sharing. I've PM'd teachie(UK) for her address.

Journal Entry 24 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Thanks for sharing. I've PM'd teachie(UK) for her address.

Journal Entry 25 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Teachie PM'D that she's read it already - Will PM weebly (UK) whose next on the list (Starting to sound like the names of the members of a wannabee boy band)

Journal Entry 26 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/7/2009 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Posted today by surface mail to weeby in the UK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 27 by weebly from Hartwell, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Many thanks for this very well travelled Bookray book. Thanks so much to MrBaggins1 for the pics of your home town, and the children's book which you included in my parcel. I have given the book to my daughter's primary school and they love the illustrations and the wash on the text pages - the book will be shared and enjoyed by the children.

Journal Entry 28 by weebly from Hartwell, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 02, 2009

Great book which kept me entertained and amused - and having recently read A Dirty Job in which a certain MF also features, it was great to hear how Minty got his name!

Hubby has been reading this secretly at the same time as me, and has almost finished, so I will post on as soon as he is done. I hope thats ok.

Journal Entry 29 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

This arrived in the post a couple of days ago. Thanks weebly for sending and hyphen8 for sharing. Will start to read after my current read.

Journal Entry 30 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, July 24, 2010

This book seems to be taking an extended vacation in Wales, so I'm hoping to continue the ray soon with another copy..although I may shuffle the remaining names a bit.

Set the status as traveling since it isn't in my possession.

August 7, 2011: sent the info for this book to the Lost Book Island to see if it can find a home there.

The ray will continue with another copy of this book: probably this one.