corner corner The Importance of Being Earnest

The Importance of Being Earnest
by Oscar Wilde | Plays & Scripts
Registered by UbSiA of Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on 11/5/2008

status (set by UbSiA): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by UbSiA from Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The back blurb:
"Jack has a very useful fictional wicked brother called Ernest, as well as a very mischievous real friend called Algernon. When Algernon arrives at Jack´s country house claiming to be Ernest, only a black handbag and an ageing governess can provide the solution to the ensuing hullabaloo."

The author:
"Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900) was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being Earnest. As the result of a widely covered series of trials, Wilde suffered a dramatic downfall and was imprisoned for two years hard labour after being convicted of "gross indecency" with other men. After Wilde was released from prison he set sail for Dieppe by the night ferry. He never returned to Ireland or Britain."

Journal Entry 2 by UbSiA from Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I enjoyed this little theater play very much and can recommend it to everyone. I will offer it as international Ray in the Forum and hope that it will reach many more BookCrossers all over the world...

I read this book as part of the 1 Jahr = 1 Land Challenge for Ireland.

Journal Entry 3 by UbSiA from Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Who is participating?

Journal Entry 4 by UbSiA at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Friday, February 20, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (2/20/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Schleswig-Holstein Germany

It´s starting its journey within the next couple of days from Sylt! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingTrinibellwing from Calw, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, February 23, 2009

Angekommen, dankeschön!

Journal Entry 6 by wingTrinibellwing from Calw, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, May 02, 2009

Die Gecshichte ist einfach immer wieder entzückend! Ich hab sie im Urlaub gleich 2x hintereinander weg gelesen, weil ich die Wortspielereien einfach herrlich fand.

Danke, UbSia!

Leider steht nach mit noch niemand auf der Teilnehmerliste.

@UbSiA: falls das Büchlein direkt nach Hause reisen soll, dann schick mir einfach deine Adresse.

08.05.2009
Morgen geht's weiter zu faerie-glen nach Ulm.

Journal Entry 7 by faerie-glen from Ulm, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ein herrlich albernes kleines Verwirrspiel.

Journal Entry 8 by wingauweiawing from Langen, Hessen Germany on Saturday, May 16, 2009

na da bin ich ja mal gespannt, ob mein Englisch ausreicht,um die Wortspielereien zu verstehen!

Journal Entry 9 by wingauweiawing from Langen, Hessen Germany on Sunday, May 17, 2009

easy to read and understand :-)
simple but funny story with marvellous Lady Backnell who is my absolut favorite person in this play!
On the way to knittingcat,enjoy it :-)

Journal Entry 10 by knittingcat on Monday, June 01, 2009

Watched the movie twice and am avid to read the play which inspired it.

Counts for the 1 Jahr = 1 Land-challenge for Ireland.

Journal Entry 11 by knittingcat at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, November 02, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/2/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

The thin volume must have slipped between thicker books and is still hiding there. I ordered a replacement book and sent it to the next reader. I will send the original one to the ring-owner as soon as I come across it.

Please accept my apologies. I am so sorry!!!

Journal Entry 12 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, November 07, 2009

I received the replacement book a couple of days ago. I will be starting it immediately. I have already sent a PM to carefreeabandon requesting their address so that I can send the book forward as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing this classic UbSiA and thanks knittingcat for keeping the bookray going. Best Wishes to All!

Journal Entry 13 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, November 09, 2009

What a truly funny and enjoyable story. I loved Wilde's cast of characters and the humor of the situation. I found myself smirking and chuckling as I read through the book. I would love to see the play someday. I will send the book forward as soon as I hear from carefreeabandon. :-)

Journal Entry 14 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I received a message from carefreeabandon and they asked to be skipped. I promise to keep this book safe and sound until I send it on a future journey.

Journal Entry 15 by knittingcat at Meckesheim, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, July 29, 2010

The original book came out of hiding and will go on its journey home tomorrow.

Journal Entry 16 by UbSiA at Schmallenberg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, August 14, 2010

The original copy arrived savely at home. Thank you for sending it. Now I have to figure out where it should go next...

Journal Entry 17 by UbSiA at Bücherbox im Stadtpark in Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Monday, February 27, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (2/27/2017 UTC) at Bücherbox im Stadtpark in Norderstedt, Schleswig-Holstein Germany

enjoy :-)