corner corner Mother's Beloved: Stories from Laos

Mother's Beloved: Stories from Laos
by Bounyavong Outhine | Literature & Fiction
Registered by blackwidow1971 of Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on 11/1/2008

status (set by sing-song): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by blackwidow1971 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 01, 2008

Short stories by an author from PDR Laos. As is usual for short stories, some were better than others. It did bring back good memories of my holiday in Laos a few years ago, but also reminded me that as a tourist, there's a lot you don't see.

This edition is a parallel text Lao / English. I just read the English - I never got further with the language than "Saba-DEE!"

Counts as Laos for Olympic Challenge 2012. On its way to Finland to a Geographical Challenger.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thank you for this book too, blackwidow1971. The Lao script looks beautiful, but I'll have to stick to the English, I'm afraid :D

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 18, 2009

I agree with blackwidow1971 in that some of the stories were more interesting than the others but I thoroughly enjoyed this glimpse into the Lao culture and way of life, of which I knew next to nothing beforehand. Thanks again for sharing this book with me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Kouvola, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Sunday, December 20, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (12/21/2009 UTC) at Kouvola, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

On its way to soffitta1 in Portugal as her choice from the Contemporary Asian Literature VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingsoffitta1wing from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Thanks for sending this (and the lovely postcard).

As a book of short stories, this is a mixed bag, but as an insight into a still relatively unknown country, this is worth a read. Some of the stories reminded me of poems from an GDR lit course I did, with examples of the good citizen and the bad citizen, not that I am saying this is a book of propaganda. My favourite stories were 50 Kip, Death Price and Frangipani, simple stories with realistic partners.

Selected from the Asian VBB and sent on 09/02.

Journal Entry 6 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, March 13, 2010

Thank you for sending me this book from the Asian VBB. The Lao script beside the translation is a beautiful addition to the book. I look forward to reading this one and passing it on to new readers.

Journal Entry 7 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 15, 2010

I just haven't got round to reading this so it is time I sent this on to someone who enjoys asian literature. I hope that you haven't read this one!

Journal Entry 8 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 15, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (8/15/2010 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

This book is travelling to a new reader as part of the Summer Gift Giving rabck. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Monday, August 23, 2010

Thank you so much, chuckles!!!
And thanks, too, for the chocolate and the Scottish fridge magnets!

Journal Entry 10 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

I enjoyed reading those stories a lot. It isn’t very surprising that they leave out (today’s) politics, as Lao literature is so much supervised by the government. I think they catch Lao every-day life very well, and the text about contemporary Lao literature at the beginning is particularly interesting. I wish there were some more Lao novelists, but it seems it’s hard for them to find publishers. And Lao exiles don’t seem to write much (such as Cambodians for example – quite a few Cambodians who fled the country wrote about their experiences under the Khmer Rouge).
Photo: bomb crater, Plain of Jars

Journal Entry 11 by wingApoloniaXwing at South-East Asian VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (10/27/2010 UTC) at South-East Asian VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Chosen from the South-East Asian VBB.
Travelling to Canada now.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 12 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, November 08, 2010

Thanks for sharing this book in the VBB! I really love the way the Lao writing looks. I'll have to see if any of my Laotian friends and their families want to borrow the book after I'm done.
Also, I love the varied stamps you used to send the book and especially the picture you included with the book. It was so creative with the little gift-bearing ballycumber added to the picture of the monk and temple!

Journal Entry 13 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the meetup for this month's theme! Wonderful short stories that get at the cultural values of Laos.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 14 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Picked up at July's meeting. I actually came home with less books then I brought, crazy!

Journal Entry 15 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 21, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (9/12/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am overloaded with books and a new baby so returning this as other people are waiting for it. I would like it back at sometime though....

Journal Entry 16 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 12, 2015

OK - I cam home with WAY too many books. But, my books are organized now by when I got them.