corner corner The Crucible

The Crucible
by Arthur H. Miller | Plays & Scripts
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, December 19, 2008

status (set by allysther): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, December 19, 2008

Cassettes; unabridged

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In play form.

A fairly good read. The actors yelled a lot.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 08, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (6/8/2009 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy! off to Hyphen8 as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, July 03, 2009

This arrived while I was on vacation so now that I'm mostly over the jetlag I'm journaling it. :)

Thanks so much to booklady331 for the wonderful RABCK! I was part of a production of The Crucible back in high school (did makeup) so this should be very enjoyable.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, July 19, 2009

This one was a good choice for listening in the car - it would've been awkward anywhere else. As booklady331 says, there's a *lot* of shouting.

Amazing how some of the lines rang familiar even after all these years, especially considering that I probably never actually sat in the audience and watched the whole thing.

Based on the Salem Witch trials, which really did happen, scarily enough. Illustrates the power of mass hysteria, the damage a woman scorned can do, and how pride and inflexibility can make a bad situation even worse. Once everything started, most people were in a no-win situation: it wasn't possible to prove innocence, only guilt. Once accused, the only choices seem to have been to proclaim your innocence and be executed as a witch..or repentantly confess to witchcraft, and live with a permanently ruined reputation.

Amazingly enough, Tituba managed to live through it all. She was a handy target in the beginning, but I guess not enough people had real grudges against her.

We visited Salem when I was a kid, and I've never forgotten the bit about the man who had the weights piled on his chest. :(

This book was challenged in a Texas public school district during the 2004-2005 school year.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, July 26, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/26/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book went to lunch at Little Village and went home with someone else. Happy listening!

Journal Entry 7 by wingallystherwing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, May 04, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Good luck, little book! I hope to hear from you soon!