corner corner Yoga School Dropout

Yoga School Dropout
by Lucy Edge | Humor
Registered by thy of Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, October 15, 2008

status (set by thy): available

Journal Entry 1 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Amazon.co.uk:
A sharply funny travelogue from a fantastic new writer. Lucy Edge tells the story of her personal quest for serenity and flexibility through the ashrams and gurus of India. After over a decade spent working and drinking too much in the world of advertising, Lucy decided she'd had enough of debating the meaning of the Jolly Green Giant and wanted to leave town for an altogether more spiritual and, well, meaningful way of life...And whilst she was at it, she could acquire a newly lithe and supple body. However, what she found when she reached India wasn't what she had expected. The relentless obsession with self-perfection and the alluring market in self-enlightenment all began to appear rather shallower than expected. And what began to truly seduce her was India itself. Would she come home looking like Christy Turlington and would she pick up a Buddhist serenity on the way? Or did something much funnier, more interesting and more complicated happen. Did she fall in love - with a place and its people? An emotional journey, a divine comedy of the Western obsession with life's deeper meaning, a yogic experiment and a love letter to India, this is an entertaining book from a wonderful new travel writer.

Ashrams, gurus etc and all the different styles of yoga were something quite new to me. I have gone to yoga classes just for fun and exercise; I have certainly not been looking for a deeper meaning of life through yoga! Well, now I find yoga funnier than ever;)

Tarjottu ringiksi. Mahtuu esim pieneen helposti-kuoreen
Tintti (Jkl) <-- lähetetty
Annimanni (Hki)
Sobergirl(Tku, 12.11 jälkeen)
Aspen72 (Tku, 4.-)
...
thy

Journal Entry 2 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, October 25, 2008

I got the book yesterday - thanks, thy! I love yoga, so I hope I'll enjoy this book, too.

Journal Entry 3 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, November 15, 2008

Oh well, I didn't like this book much - in fact, I didn't even finish it because I was so bored with it. The book wasn't "sharply funny" or "hilarious" or whatever else it was described to be. It was okay, sometimes a little amusing, but mostly just boring. I felt that Lucy didn't really concentrate on anything, but just travelled from one place and yoga style to another, always looking for something better. And of course she was also looking for Mr. Right, which was rather annoying, as it made the book a little too chick lit for me. (There's nothing wrong with chick lit, sometimes it is very enjoyable, but now I would have liked to read about yoga, not Lucy's lovelife.)

Anyway, thanks for setting up the ring, thy! I'll send the book to Annimanni when I get her address.

Journal Entry 4 by Annimanni from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, November 27, 2008

Received the book today, thanks Tintti and thy! I have a couple of other ring books to finish first, but I'm sure this'll be a quick read.

Journal Entry 5 by Annimanni from Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I enjoyed this book although I agree that it wasn't hilarious exactly. I enjoyed Edge's style of writing and thought it very appropriate for a book of this genre, which I'd describe as "easy-reading travel lit". I travelled to India myself for the first time this year ("only" to Goa though) and am now fascinated with all things Indian, which is the main reason I liked the book I think. I've given yoga several tries and enjoyed it too but have never really stuck with it, probably because I'm not patient enough, so I can easily see myself travelling around India and trying a bit of this and a bit of that just like Edge did.

Off to Sobergirl next as soon as I get her addy.

Journal Entry 6 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, December 19, 2008

Yoga school dropout is now in Turku for Christmas!

Journal Entry 7 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Saturday, January 03, 2009

I took this book with me to work and read it at nights after my work shift. Perfect book for that! Made my otherwise a little heavy workweek a bit lighter.
I did enjoy this book. I didn't find it funny-funny though.

Off to the next participant asap!

Edit 6th Jan 2009:
I will give this book to Aspen sometime 15th-21st Jan 2009

Journal Entry 8 by AspenYard from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, January 19, 2009

Received the book today, thank you sobergirl. Now, I'm soon off to further yoga themed reading (previous one was Eat, pray, love).

Journal Entry 9 by AspenYard from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, February 20, 2009

I've already started reading this, and I find the story telling quite funny (so far), or provoking in purpose. It reminds me of some feelings and experiences I've faced myself too, when practising yoga more actively... Representing also the side-effects that don't exactly belong to yoga; especially athletic "performance" :) ...but reading is continuing...

Journal Entry 10 by AspenYard from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Sunday, March 15, 2009

I liked this "empirical study" of different kinds of Indian yoga schools. For me it seemed that so many of them are only full of Western yoga tourists - it's nice that I don't need to travel to India to find that out :) Actually, I might like to travel to India, but I'd like to avoid places with lots of tourists, and concentrate on local lifestyle. It seems quite obvious that there are many different yoga styles as India is such a huge country.

I liked the way the author was questioning things, and how she didn't force herself to any yoga norms, and left to search for another place when it felt like that. I've thought that yoga should increase awareness and tolerance of differences - sometimes it seemed in this book that people were quite opposite.

Most interesting view was that Western people are too focused on asana's, and that new generation in India wouldn't know so much about this tradition.

Thanks for sharing! This book will return home soon :)

Edit: Mailed on 26th March

Journal Entry 11 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The book arrived home yesterday, thank you all for participating!
I'm planning to read parts of the book again and then take it to my yoga class, maybe it will find new readers there