corner corner Things Fall Apart (Penguin Modern Classics)

Things Fall Apart (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Chinua Achebe | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Jozebedee of Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on 10/14/2008

status (set by PJLBewdy): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

From the back cover:

Okonkwo is the greatest wrestler and warrior alive, and his fame spreads throughout West Africa lika a bush-fire in the harmattan. But when he accidentally kills a clansman, things begin to fall apart. Then Okonkwo returns from exile to find missionaries and colonial governors have arrived in the village. With his world thrown radically off-balance he can only hurtle towards tragedy.

A classic in every sensse, Chinua Achebe's stark, coolly ironic novel reshaped both African and world literature. First published in 1958, it has sold over ten million copies in forty-five languages, and remains an arresting parable of a proud but powerless man witnessing the ruin of his people.

Things fall apart is the perfect account of a dead civilisation, following a man, Okinkwo, as he battles with his culture, only to see it destroyed from both within and without by European colonialism.
I enjoyed the book in the respect that it enables you see how the tribal system worked and what the old beliefs were, it makes you part of the village as you see through the eyes and the values of the inhabitants.
I found the book both poetic and violent, and also emotionally provoking at times. It certainly made me consider the ways in which the white European historically threatened the age old customs, values and cultures of other nations and races. I was saddened at the end when I realised the story of this mans' struggle would be noted as nothing more than a paragraph in a book.
Overall, a very enjoyable and well written book, but thought provoking and frustrating at times.

Journal Entry 2 by Jozebedee at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/9/2009 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending out now from my available shelf to da-whildchildz. Hope you enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 3 by da-wildchildz from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 11, 2009

I have just arrived home to two lovely book crossing packages after spending the day in town, trying to sort out accounts, they made my day. Thank you Jozebedee for sending this to me!

Journal Entry 4 by da-wildchildz from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 15, 2009

This is the first book I have read by an African author and I think it might prompt me to hunt for others! Things Fall Apart was different to anything that I have read before and I really enjoyed the change.

It was very interesting to read about life in a completely different culture to my own. I especially liked reading the folklore that was woven into the tale. The account is thought provoking and takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions; some parts angered me, whilst other parts made me sad.

Achebe’s prose is uncluttered and to the point, allowing the narrative to progress at a good pace. At 150 pages, my only complaint is that it ended too quickly!

Journal Entry 5 by da-wildchildz at The Bean in Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 12, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/12/2009 UTC) at The Bean in Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

This book was left at my first visit to an OBCZ!

Journal Entry 6 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 13, 2009

Picked up at The Bean OBCZ. Thanks.

Journal Entry 7 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 08, 2010

Not only was this book interesting from start to finish, it was thought-provoking and deep. This is the story of the African native Okonkwo as he endured the trials of colonial changes and the rigors of his own tribal culture. It is a story that has meaning for everyone because we all experience and are forced to deal with trials and changes that we have no control over.

Thanks da-wildchildz. I don't think I would have read this if I hadn't been for Bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 8 by wingReetPetitewing at via mail, RABCK Drawing Winner -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (3/10/2010 UTC) at via mail, RABCK Drawing Winner -- Controlled Releases

Going to oppem, winner of 'My 7th Bookiversary RABCK'

Journal Entry 9 by wingoppemwing from Hermiston, Oregon USA on Friday, April 23, 2010

Thanks for sending this book my way - it really does look very interesting..
Sorry for long delay in reporting its whereabouts but I had to rush over to UK on family business & then thanks to a certain Icelandic Volcano spent an extra week there.

Journal Entry 10 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Sunday, August 01, 2010

Just finished reading this amazing novel.. it took me awhile to remember all the African names but then suddenly the book came alive. Many times we read novels written from the colonialist point of view but this one just opens our eyes to the other side of this equation. I thoroughly enjoyed this book & will look for others by the same author.

Journal Entry 11 by wingoppemwing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (8/10/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

OK - its August 10th. 2010 & this amazing little book is beginning its travels.
First stop - Birmingham, UK.
Below is a list of its future stops & should this change will update as necessary.
thanks to everyone who agreed to join this ring.
Please try to read & pass on in a timely fashion.
Also it would be greatly appreciated if you would journal arrival of book, comment about the book & finally when & where the book is next off too. Many thanks.

1. caroley - ( UK ).
2. Kingfan30 - ( UK ).
3. iiwi - ( Nederlands ).
4. franaloe - (Nederlands).
5. annadvarna - (Greece).
6. babydoll857 - (UK).
7. mafarrimond - (UK).
8. salvami - ( Ireland).
9. Originalmulli - ( UK ).
10. 4evagreen - (UK).
11. grovalskii - ( Germany).
12. olagorie - (Germany).
13. LiniP - ( Germany).
14. dutch-book - (Nederlands).
15. lamelemon - (Rumania).
16. Uuloppi - ( Finland).
17. LaPitchoune - ( Finland).
18. VictoriaWagtail - (Sweden).
19. imawinn2 - ( USA )......... < ---- book here.
20. valpete - ( USA ).
21. ChiBoiler - (USA).
22. Sfogs - (NZ).
23. PJLBewly - (AUS).
24. Carole888 - (AUS).
25. bookowl1000 - (China).

Journal Entry 12 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Received today thanks. I'll read it asap and send it on its travels again.

Journal Entry 13 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, August 27, 2010

This was a fascinating glimpse into a different culture and the hour or so it took me to read it absolutely whizzed by. I thought the ending was a bit abrupt but maybe that was just me wanting the book to last longer as I was enjoying it so much.

Thanks for starting the ring Oppem. I already have Kingfan30's address so will post the book on in the next few days.

Journal Entry 14 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, September 03, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/3/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class to Kingfan30

Journal Entry 15 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 06, 2010

Book arrived safe and sound, will get to it as soon as I can.

18 Oct 10 - This was a fascinating insight to life in a tribe. I really enjoyed reading this book especially their folklore, customs and beliefs, although I found it quite sad that the Europeans gained so much influence over them. I have the address of the next person so will get it in the post tomorrow.

Journal Entry 16 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/19/2010 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

On its way to iiwi

Journal Entry 17 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, October 22, 2010

Received today, with two other ringbooks, one from Canada and one from Nepal. What are the odds of that? :)

Journal Entry 18 by wingiiwiwing at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, December 03, 2010

It doesn't work for me, I'm sorry to say. I started a week ago and now I'm on page 16.
I mostly like books by African writers, so i don't know what went wrong. Maybe it's the maleness of the book, or maybe I'm just not in the mood for English. I don't know.

Postal srvics are on strike once again, I will post it at soon as it's over.
Edit: I got an adress almost straight away, so I could post it before tuesday's strike.

Journal Entry 19 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, December 06, 2010

The book arrived. I've read one other book by Chinua Achebe, and I really enjoyed that, so I am definitely looking forward to this one. Thanks for sending and sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, December 30, 2010

Very very impressive book. I have really enjoyed it. I think it is interesting to read about Europeans coming to Africa to spread their way of living and religion, not taking into account local uses and culture. It shows once more how stubborn 'we' are or can be. Or have been in the past, and maybe about to make similar mistakes again now trying to deal with increasing numbers of immigrants with different religions than ours (if we still have any). Just like we so much want to be tolerant and accept people like they are, but in the mean time make rules and laws that can result in the opposite.
Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing. I'll contact the next on the list!

Edit: 03-01-2011
On its way to annadvarna!

Journal Entry 21 by annadvarna at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just received it. Started reading it last night! Thank you people for accepting me in this ring!

Journal Entry 22 by annadvarna at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hello people! The book is still with me. Sorry for delaying this ring, it is such a thin book and I should have finished it much earlier, but you know how it is, other books got into the way, as well as work, life and all things in between. So if you are kind enough I'm asking for another week and if I haven't finished it by Friday, I'll post it to the next one. Thanks for your patience!

Journal Entry 23 by annadvarna at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Friday, March 11, 2011

Hello again!
Trying to find the next to take the book as salvami is busy at the moment and babydoll857 hasn't answered my PM. Just contacted mafarrimond and waiting for an answer!

Journal Entry 24 by babydoll857 at Isleworth, Middlesex United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thanks for sending this on. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 25 by babydoll857 at Isleworth, Middlesex United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2011

I was just dithering between giving this book a star rating of 5 or 6. I would say that for me it falls into that category of books that I know are excellent but I struggle to connect with. It took me ages to read as I found that I didn't want to pick it up sometimes so read a lighter read alongside it. Having said that I did finish it and am glad I have finally read it. I joined this bookring partly because I have seen this book so many times and have been interested but not enough to actually read the thing! Sorry it took me so long but thanks for bearing with me as I would probably have never got round to reading it otherwise.

Part of the reason I found it so hard going was that reading about the treatment of women in the Obi culture was so difficult as they are basically slaves to their fathers then husbands. The comparison between the protagonist Okonkwo and his father and son is central to the book and makes it a novel about humanity rather than just an examination of a tribal culture. I got so much from this book but don't think I could bear to read the rest of the trilogy!

Journal Entry 26 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 08, 2011

The book has arrived safely. Thank you for sending.

Journal Entry 27 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 24, 2011

An incredible book. A fasinating insight into a different culture, traditions and myths. I found it particuarly interesting how thetribes reacted to the missionarys and Christian religions.

Journal Entry 28 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/26/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted onto salvami. Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 29 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Friday, July 29, 2011

Thank you mafarrimond! Now this book is here with me in Ireland. This is first book written by the author for me, so I'm looking forward to reading it :)
Oppem, thank you very much for including me in this ring.

Journal Entry 30 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sorry for keeping this book so long!
Umm, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it, either. This was very different from any books I've read so far in this year. I think I should read more books by African authors...

Journal Entry 31 by salvami at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (9/16/2011 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 32 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Received today, thank you.

Journal Entry 33 by Originalmulli at Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I was gripped by this right from the beginning - I loved how it completely immerses you in the culture, so that you almost find yourself accepting their bizarre practices as just how it is. And you sympathise with them calling the incoming religion and government 'this great evil.

I know someone who was with his missionary parents in Africa as a child and they were both killed in a massacre. Although it doesn't come to that in this story, it was very thought-provoking for me to perhaps see the other perspective on such a thing.

Have PMed so should have this on its way soon. Sorry to have kept such a little book so long but I get very little reading time!

Journal Entry 34 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2011

This was waiting for me when I got back from work. Thanks to everyone for sharing this book. I will read it once I have finished my present read.

Journal Entry 35 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 31, 2011

This charming little book is a fine counter-balance to the White colonial books of Conrad and his like. In Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' we see Africa and it's inhabitants as barbaric and lawless but this book tells a very different story.

The story surrounds Okonkwo, a man striving to escape the shadow and shame of his father, whom was seen as a waster and drunkard by his community.

Whereas Conrad paints the natives as lawless Achebe shows that through their tribal traditions there is a structure within their community where disputes are settled by village elders.

This book gives a fine insight to life in Africa before the arrival of the White Man and is a worthy read as it makes us question the influence and methods of Collonial rule over local traditions. That said I failed to really connect with Okonkwo and thus it fails to get full marks.

Journal Entry 36 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 31, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (10/31/2011 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Off to the next person in the ring. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 37 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, November 08, 2011

just received the book together with another bookring. I haven't had bookring books in several weeks and today, 2 arrived. Go figure. Will try to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 38 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Wow, great book! I love to read books that are well written, have a good story to tell and are also educating. This book fit the bill...

I already have the address of the next reader.

Journal Entry 39 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Sunday, December 04, 2011

The book has arrived in Oberursel, Germany. It is now looking rather worn, but that will not deter me from reading it :-)

I wish you all a pleasant Advent time.

Journal Entry 40 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Sunday, March 04, 2012

I am very sorry I kept this book so long, I had it with me at my parents home during Christmas and forgot it there ... Thanks for reminding me!

I liked the book, but not so much as "No Longer at Ease" which tells the story of Obi, Okonkwo's grandson.

I struggled with the meaning of several proverbs and expressions, but they enrich the flavour of the novel a lot. I really liked the stories that Okonkwo's wifes tell their children, e.g. the story about the Earth and Sky and especially how Okonkwo and his son Nwoye react to it (always trying to be or at least appearing as masculine as possible).

The big break in the book between chapters 13 and 14 was quite a surprise, it changed the rhythm of the book considerably.

Counts for Nigeria.

I already got LiniP's adress and after her holiday the book will travel to her after March 15th.

Journal Entry 41 by wingolagoriewing at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (3/17/2012 UTC) at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Gute Reise!

Journal Entry 42 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The book arrived today and will be read after I have finished reading the book I am currently reading. Should be off to the next reader hopefully next week.

Journal Entry 43 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, March 30, 2012

What a wonderfully thoughtful story. It was really interesting to get to know the different aspects of colonialization as the people in Africa saw them. I am glad I read the book and will recommend it to others. The book will travel shortly to lamelemon in Romania as dutch-book asked to be skipped. Thanks for the bookring.

Journal Entry 44 by LiniP at Gaildorf, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, April 02, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/2/2012 UTC) at Gaildorf, Baden-Württemberg Germany

The book is off to the next reader in the bookring.

Journal Entry 45 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Friday, April 06, 2012

Received with thanks, will start reading it as soon as I finish my current book, which also happened to take place in Africa.

Journal Entry 46 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, April 09, 2012

A completely different book for me. Short but intense, with great insight into the life, society, customs and superstitions of an African culture on the verge of complete makeover. Things do fall apart for Okonkwo, but before this happens we get to see a man amidst his family and society, and while trying to withhold a bizarre Stockholm syndrome we witness this man's rise and downfall.

PMed Uuloppi for their address and will forward in a few days. Thanks for sharing and happy readings to you all :)

Journal Entry 47 by winglamelemonwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 19, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/19/2012 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Now travelling to LaPitchoune in Finland, as Uuloppi asked to be skipped since they found the book elsewhere. Thanks for sharing this with me, and happy reading to all of you guys!

Journal Entry 48 by LaPitchoune at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The book arrived today with a nice postcard. Thank you!

Journal Entry 49 by LaPitchoune at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, May 09, 2012

A compact book, as someone mentioned earlier, this has a lot to offer. How many Nigerian books have you read before? How many books about African tribal customs?

This book left me astounded. The domestic violence and chauvinism came as such a slap in the face. However, this book has a certain magical charm. A reader wants something exotic, I suppose. There was excitement: witchery, medicine men, bare breasts, wandering in the wilderness at night, chanting, primitive folk beliefs, huts and yams. Everything packed tightly into well-thought, narrative sentences.

Can you believe how few variables the African diet actually consists of? Basically just yams and palm-oil, with an occasional salted, dried fish. This is a story about the old times, of course. Some things may differ today, but it's still a dry, violent continent.

Some of my favorite quotes:

A proud heart can survive general failure because such a failure does not prick its pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.
Chapter 3

The land of the living was not far removed from the domain of the ancestors. There was coming and going between them, especially at festivals and also when an old man died, because an old man was very close to the ancestors. A man's life from birth to death was a series of transition rites which brought him nearer and nearer to his ancestors.
Chapter 13

Whenever you see a toad jumping in broad daylight, then know that something is after its life.
Chapter 24

These are just a few examples. As it is said in the novel, the (ibo?) people appreciate proverbs and aim at communicating through them, coloring nearly every line with a folk wisdom. Thank you so much for letting me join this ring, and thanks to all previous readers for keeping this book in a good shape despite all its travels. I'll mail this book to Sweden next.

Journal Entry 50 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Friday, May 18, 2012

It has arrived! Thank you LaPitchoune for sending it to me. I had no idea it was my turn to read this book but it was a nice surprise to find it on my doormat. I've allready started reading it

Journal Entry 51 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A great book, I loved it!

I loved it how the author was able to portray this authoritarian and patrarchial society with such presicion and detail. But also with love and care. It was a society of men, but also the lives of women had its part in the story which I found impressing, other authors might have forgotten all about the women when telling a simillar story...

With its tale of the woes of imperialism and partiarchy this book should be read in schools all around the world, it's an important story!

Journal Entry 52 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/29/2012 UTC) at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden

The book is now on its way to the United States and the next reader in line. If I'm lucky it gets there before they're off on holliday...

Journal Entry 53 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, June 18, 2012

Just returned from a Florida vacation and found this book in my stack of mail. I shall get to reading it once I'm settled and unpacked. Also included was a postcard of Stockholm, Sweden. I have visited Stockholm two times and the postcard brought back many nice memories. Det ar vacker! Mycket tack! VictoriaWagtail

Journal Entry 54 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I have been on a little bit of an African literature kick lately and this was a wonderful addition to my reading experience. Prior to reading Things Fall Apart, I had listened to a collection of essays by Chinua Achebe in a CD collection called The Education of A British-Protected Child in which Mr. Achebe tells of his life's experiences and observations and gives the reader some insight of the positive and negatives of colonial rule.

Things Fall Apart is Achebe's first novel and one that describes tribal life through the protagonist's, Okonkwo, clan. We see a way of life that balances a world of violence, war, and suffering with tradition, religion, ritual, and strict social behavior. The last part of the book shows how Okonkwo's clan life and ways begin to topple when British rule takes over and missionaries force the idea of a one God religion upon the tribe. Reminds me very much of what happened to the Native Americans in my country. I liked the part where an elder discussed the similarities of the tribes' religion and the missionaries' religion. A good eye-opening and emotional story that left a sadness in my heart.

Journal Entry 55 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thanks for sending this along. I do have a few before it, so it may be a while. But I promise to read it and send it along.

Thinking of Oppem who has recently died and started this Ring.

Journal Entry 56 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My apologies for keeping this book so long.

I must admit I slogged through it. It is one that I will most likely remember for all its violence.

Journal Entry 57 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, June 17, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (6/17/2013 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I had to skip the next person, since I was unable to contact her. Sending this along to Sfogs in New Zealand. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 58 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's arrived safely!

R.I.P. oppem thank you for starting this bookray!

Thank you Valpete for passing this on to me!

Journal Entry 59 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, June 28, 2013

Reading this book (as with others set in Africa, that include European colonialism) it makes me so sad. And VERY angry at the missionaries.

The violence doesn't surprise me at all. Especially the violence towards women, which continues all around the world, in every country. Though now at least it is considered disgraceful is many cultures and societies.

A powerful book, despite it's size. A must read for everyone!

Journal Entry 60 by PJLBewdy at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Received today from across the Tasman - thanks for sending.
Will get to this one quite soon.