corner corner Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
by Mildred D. Taylor | Teens
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 10/18/2008

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, October 18, 2008

1977 Newbery award winner.

Excellent story of one turbulent year in the life of the Logan family: 1933 in Mississippi.

An Alabama school board member called this book "trashy trash" and called for its removal from the schools. Someone objected to the use of the word "nigger" in this book, but at that time and in that place, I think it was a fairly common (if still derogatory) usage. It's not pleasant and not something we'd want anyone to do today, but it wouldn't be accurate for the characters to talk about "African-Americans" either.

I went searching for the further adventures of the Logans and found Let the Circle Be Unbroken. There are other books in this series and I'll read them if I come across them.

A copy of this book is being sent (unregistered) to the 2009 BookCrossing Convention in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Other copies on my shelf:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10067754 (audio)

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Longs Drugs, Moiliili in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (11/10/2009 UTC) at Longs Drugs, Moiliili in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

On a bench outside the 24-hour Longs. Released for the Bountiful Harvest Food Release Challenge and the Banned/Challenged Books Release Challenge.

==

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!