corner corner Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree
by Olive Ann Burns | Literature & Fiction
Registered by crrcookie of Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on 10/5/2008

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, October 05, 2008

I took a trip to The Book Thing to replenish my stock of available books for release and this is one of the books that I brought home. I was able to gather books to fit several upcoming release challenge themes and just to have for spreading the word of my favorite hobby, BookCrossing.

Journal Entry 2 by melydia from Centreville, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 09, 2008

When I went to Quattro Formaggi in Alexandria, VA, this evening to meet some BookCrossers for dinner, this was immediately thrust into my hands, to "replace" the copies I'd recently released (and were caught). I think I'm destined to always have a copy of this in my possession. Perhaps needless to say, I've read this book. That is, another copy of this book. This is what I thought of it then:

Will Tweedy was 14 years old and living in Cold Sassy, Georgia, in the summer of 1906 when his grandpa came home one day to announce he was marrying a woman half his age, not three weeks after the death of his first wife, Will's grandmother. The town, of course, is scandalized, and continues to be so as the story wears on. This is more of a "slice of life" depiction than much of a story - the author starts with a setting (the town of Cold Sassy) and a premise (Grandpa's new bride), and meanders through clever little anecdotes and asides for a while until the author decides it's time to end the story and starts killing off characters. This is not a bad story, just a fairly standard one. I don't have very strong feelings about it either way. The constant backcountry dialect got kind of old, but I feel that way about all books narrated in dialect so that's not exactly serious criticism. On the other hand, I could hear all the characters in my head with no problem. In the end, if you like this era of historical fiction, you'll enjoy the feeling of living in Cold Sassy; if you prefer more plot-driven stories where everything happens for a reason, you might want to skip this one.

Journal Entry 3 by melydia at Shell Station at Union Mill in Clifton, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (10/22/2008 UTC) at Shell Station at Union Mill in Clifton, Virginia USA

Left on top of the pump.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

found it this morning at a pump at Union Mill gas station...i'm dropping it off now in Arlington VA near Courthouse

CAUGHT IN CLIFTON VA USA