corner corner Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister: A Novel

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister: A Novel
by Gregory Maguire | Literature & Fiction
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 9/13/2008

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"We all have heard the story of Cinderella, the beautiful child cast out to slave among the ashes. But what of her stepsisters, the homely pair exiled into ignominy by the fame of their lovely sibling? What fate befell those untouched by beauty . . . and what curses accompanied Cinderella's exquisite looks?
Set against the rich backdrop of seventeenth-century Holland, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister tells the story of Iris, an unlikely heroine who finds herself swept from the lowly streets of Haarlem to a strange world of wealth, artifice, and ambition. Iris's path quickly becomes intertwined with that of Clara, the mysterious and unnaturally beautiful girl destined to become her sister.
While Clara retreats to the cinders of the family hearth, burning all memories of her past, Iris seeks out the shadowy secrets of her new household--and the treacherous truth of her former life.
Far more than a mere fairy-tale, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is a novel of beauty and betrayal, illusion and understanding, reminding us that deception can be unearthed--and love unveiled--in the most unexpected of places."

Picked this up at a library sale. Intriguing though it sounds, I had a lot of trouble getting through Maguire's "Wicked" and knowing how big Mt. TBR is at the moment, I know I'll probably never read this.

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, October 24, 2008

Sending off to brewski to fulfill a relay. Enjoy! :')

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 01, 2008

I actually received this in the mail yesterday, but just got a chance to journal it today. Thanks for sending it so quickly indygo88 :) By the way, I really like the label that you made...very nice!

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 13, 2009

Not bad, but not great. I didn't actually enjoy this as much as Wicked, but it was still decently entertaining. I will be releasing this into the wild very very shortly :)

Journal Entry 5 by brewski at Scotiabank, Bay and King in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Scotiabank, Bay and King in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Left in the 18th Floor Kitchen.

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, brewski, as your referring member.