corner corner The Broker

The Broker
by John Grisham | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by crrcookie of Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Friday, September 12, 2008

status (set by crrcookie): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Friday, September 12, 2008

Even though I had just been the weekend before I decided that I wanted to go again to the Book Thing in Baltimore, Maryland on 30 August, 2008. I had a great time selecting books and amazingly I even took some in to donate. Most were ones that I had gotten there before and were duplicates of books that I already had. The Book Thing is an amazing place and I look forward to future trips so that I can add to my ever growing TBR mountain and have books to release for others to find.

Journal Entry 2 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 12, 2009

From the back cover of one edition of this book:

In his final hours in office, the outgoing President grants a controversial last-minute pardon to Joel Backman, a notorious Washington power broker who has spent the last six years hidden away in federal prison. What no one knows is that the President issues the pardon only after receiving enormous pressure from the CIA. It seems Backman, in his power broker heyday, may have obtained secrets that compromise the world’s most sophisticated satellite surveillance system.

Backman is quietly smuggled out of the country in a military cargo plane, given a new name, a new identity, and a new home in Italy. Eventually, after he has settled into his new life, the CIA will leak his whereabouts to the Israelis, the Russians, the Chinese, and the Saudis. Then the CIA will do what it does best: sit back and watch. The question is not whether Backman will survive – there is no question of that. The question the CIA needs answered is, who will kill him?

Journal Entry 3 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 12, 2009

I like to read John Grisham books because they are easy to read. They can be quite involved and yet I have no problem following the characters or what is going on in the story.

This was not my favorite of the Grisham books that I have read. I am not as interested in the chase scenes and this was pretty much a whole book of chase scenes and hiding and avoiding and looking over one’s shoulder. It is what the story is about but not as interesting to me as some of the courtroom dramas that I have read from Grisham in the past.

I think that I would have liked a bit more information about how “The Broker” operates. I felt that part of the story was a little bit lacking. I would have liked to read more about the politics and intricacies of Washington that Backman played a part in. There was a lot more story that could have been told but that would have made the book a lot longer and might have been hard to spin without getting to complicated.

I would recommend this book to any Grisham fan but if this is your first Grisham book and you don’t really care for it you might want to give another one a try and see if you like another one better.

Journal Entry 4 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 12, 2009

This book was read for the 2009 Pages Read Challenge from the release challenge forum.

My goal is 35,000 pages and this book has a total of 429 pages* that I am counting for this challenge. I have a total of 2 books read this year with 761 pages read for the year and that is 2.174% of my 2009 goal.

*I have 3 different editions of this book. Since I could have read any of them I added together the 3 different page counts and divided by 3 to arrive at this page count number for the challenge and my records.

Journal Entry 5 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 12, 2009

This book was read for the 2009 Reduce My Mount TBR Challenge from the release challenge forum.

This is book #2 from my To Be Read Pile that I have read this year.

I have several copies of this book and each of them will be counted under item #2 for this challenge.

Journal Entry 6 by crrcookie at National Book Festival in -- Not a city (geographical features, etc), District of Columbia USA on Monday, September 28, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (9/26/2009 UTC) at National Book Festival in -- Not a city (geographical features, etc), District of Columbia USA

This author is scheduled to appear at the National Book Festival in Washington, D.C. I am specifically releasing this book today in hopes that a fan of this author has come to the book festival and will find this book and be intrigued about the book and BookCrossing. Alternately this book may find someone who does not know this author already and it is my hope that the finder will enjoy this book and this author will find yet another fan.

The Library of Congress Celebrates the Joy of Reading

The 2009 National Book Festival, organized and sponsored by the Library of Congress, will be held on Saturday, September 26, 2009, on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., between 7th and 14th streets from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The festival is free and open to the public.

I attended this event with a yellow wagon full of books and was able to give them all away to people that wanted them. A success in my book!

************************************************************

You have found a very special book! This book was left on purpose because it needs to find a new reader. You can help this book travel on by passing it to a friend or leaving it "in the wild" when you are done with it. It doesn't have to travel far or soon. Feel free to enjoy it for as long as you like.

You may always make a journal entry without joining the website but if you do decide to join please use the screenname crrcookie or any other previous journaler of this book as the referring member.

Have a great day and Happy BookCrossing!!!

************************************************************