corner corner A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
by Marina Lewycka, | Humor
Registered by mrsjones of Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

status (set by FeistyPom2Love): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

Replace Ukrainian with Appalachian, and you've got my family saga.

My father is married to "Valentina", though he didn't pursue a divorce no matter what the circumstances... and many of them rivaled those in the book, starting with the "needing a new car" and carrying through with slovenliness, demands for money, and the questionable child, etc.

So many people have told me that I should write a book about that side of my family. But Lewycka already did. And I see she was nominated for the Man Booker Prize in the process! Guess I should have put pen to paper.... :)

Journal Entry 2 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008

I'm adding this to the Multi-Cultural fiction bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by mssaver from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, December 28, 2008

This title has intrigued me for some time, and now it has appeared on my doorstep, so I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by mssaver at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, October 15, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/15/2010 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

On its way back to another BookCrosser in Ohio!

Journal Entry 5 by Llednyl at Chesterland, Ohio USA on Monday, October 18, 2010

Arrived today - thanks for the trade! Your book should be coming in the mail any day now :-)

Journal Entry 6 by Llednyl at Chesterland, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 15, 2011

mrsjones, I love your parallel between Ukrainian and Appalachian families! Maybe I would have liked the book more had it been about Appalachia, come to think of it. You'd better get to work! :-)

I thought this book was alright. I was expecting something a little more lighthearted because of the reviews and blurbs I read--instead I found it to be extremely sad. The only character I really liked was Ludmilla, and she isn't even alive when the novel takes place. Nevertheless, an interesting premise and exploration of family dynamics, history, and immigration.

Journal Entry 7 by Llednyl at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, June 10, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/10/2011 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent as a RABCK!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Arrived today - thanks, Llednyl!

Journal Entry 9 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Not quite what I expected, although it did have its funny moments.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, April 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/30/2012 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Sending to FeistyPom2Love - it is her oldest wishlist book. Happy to send it your way, Feisty!

Journal Entry 11 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at Carpinteria, California USA on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Thank you for sending this book! It arrived safely today in the mail. Yes, it has been on my wish list for some time now. I am looking forward to reading it soon.