corner corner Understanding Physics: Light, Magnetism and Electricity

Understanding Physics: Light, Magnetism and Electricity
by Isaac Asimov | Science
Registered by wingFiregirlwing of Annandale, Virginia USA on 10/25/2008

status (set by nicolesinger): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 25, 2008

"By the fames science writer - a volume from the fascinating series designed for students and laymen alike."

Journal Entry 2 by wingFiregirlwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Monday, March 23, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/23/2009 UTC) at Mesa, Arizona USA

CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES: Sending to nicolesinger in North Carolina in trade for erotica books for my OBCZ. Happy reading and thanks for the swap!

Journal Entry 3 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 30, 2009

It's here! I'm excited and strangely intimidated...

I'm hoping these will be a good resource for my older son, who decided when he was in middle school that he was interested in physics. If not, or when my kids are done, we'll try to pass them along to another homeschooling family or someone who's interested.

Thanks for trading with me!

Journal Entry 4 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Well, I did try to read this. I got through chapter 3 and though I followed what Asimov was saying, I felt as though I was in over my head. I could handle the material, but without more depth (such as a classroom or group environment) it wasn't going to stick very deeply.

Explanations are exceedingly clear and Asimov's great at breaking concepts down into little chunks and demonstrating how they all come together. I absolutely loved how he gave the derivation of science words - for instance, 'lens' comes from a Latin word for 'lentil,' because of its typical shape. Fascinating. That's the kind of thing that makes me want to keep plugging away at these, but then something shiny comes along... lol

Sadly, my son, who thought he was interested in physics, has decided it involves too much math and has he doesn't want to read this book or its companion after all. I think I may keep them around a bit longer, just in case he changes his mind. They're good references, too.