corner corner A Is for Alibi

A Is for Alibi
by Sue Grafton | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by lucycat of Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/15/2003

status (set by Pintsize): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by lucycat from Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 15, 2003

The first book in Sue Grafton's 'Alphabet' series featuring P.I. Kinsey Millhone.

Great stuff, fast-paced, thorough, enough clues to point you in the right direction if you're the kind of person who likes to try to figure these things out as you go along. And a very likeable lead who only gets better with time...;O)

On it's way with 'B' is for Burglar to the infinitely patient Luckaye in Oz.

Happy reading! :O)

Journal Entry 2 by lucycat at http://luckaye.bookcrossing.com in Kingston, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Release planned for Wednesday, April 16, 2003 at http://luckaye.bookcrossing.com in Kingston, Queensland Australia.

Headed out in today's post!

Journal Entry 3 by luckaye from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I just received this book from Lucycat who saw it on my wish list. Thanks so much! I will be reading it within the next few weeks and sending it on to someone who has it on their wish list too :)

Journal Entry 4 by luckaye from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, May 20, 2003

I really enjoyed this book and plan on reading the rest of the series!

I have decided to start a bookray for this book, Please PM me if you are interested in joining. So far I have:
Tramgirl (Australia)
Elina (Finland)
SalDragski (USA)
16Stepper (USA)
Anatra (USA)
Fushmush (Australia)
Kuju (Australia)
Fantasma (Portugal)

I am sending this to TramGirl tomorrow. PM the person following you to get their address. People are more than welcome to join and be placed at the bottom of the list :)

Journal Entry 5 by luckaye at Kingston PO in Kingston, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 08, 2003

Release planned for Monday, June 09, 2003 at Kingston PO in Kingston, Queensland Australia.

Sent to Bookcrosser Tramgirl as part of bookray!

Journal Entry 6 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Received this book in the mail on friday (13/6), am only journalling its arrival now as I was away for the weekend! I'm already halfway through and really enjoying it :)

Journal Entry 7 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, June 18, 2003

I really enjoyed this book! It was an easy read but still had enough suspense in it to keep it interesting! I definatly want to read more in the series and am glad that I have 'B' to go on to!

Journal Entry 8 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, June 21, 2003

Have read this while TramGirl has it at our house. Was an easy and fast read, and reminded me a lot of the Stephanie Plum books. Looking forward to reading others in the series.

Journal Entry 9 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Friday, June 27, 2003

Sent on today to Elina in Finland, included 'B' is for Burglar in the package which Luckaye had sent to me. My first time participating in a bookray is complete!! Yippee!

Journal Entry 10 by Elina from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, July 19, 2003

I got A is for Alibi from Tramgirl on Firday with B is for Burglar. Thank you so much Tramgirl for both of the books. :) I've already read half of the book as I was driving to Rovaniemi yesterday (of course I was not actually driving the car but you know what I mean.)
I'd also like to thank Luckaye for organising this bookray and letting me participate in it. :)

Journal Entry 11 by Elina from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 25, 2003

I really liked this book and, of course, I liked Kinsey. All together it was a nice and easy read. I'm looking forward to reading 'B' too. Im happy that it's waiting on my new bookshelf.
Kinsey is now on her way to SalDragski.

Journal Entry 12 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Just received today. Just started another book then this one is next. Sal

Journal Entry 13 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Friday, August 29, 2003

I didn't think this book was that great. More time could have been spent on character building. Sal

Journal Entry 14 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003

Kinsey has arrived in Gilbert. Adding to my stack of bookrays to be read.

Journal Entry 15 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Sunday, October 12, 2003

I read C and D before this one, but I liked this the best of the three. Kinsey is a wonderfully drawn character. I'd love to know her. This had a great plot, although I figured out one part of the mystery before she did. I especially love books where I learn new words that are actually useful in everyday life. In this book I learned "galummoxed" as in how the big dogs ran around. I have a galummoxer of my own and that's a great word! Thatnks for sharing this with us, Lucycat and Luckaye!

Journal Entry 16 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Saturday, October 18, 2003

I have been PMing Anatra for her address since 10/8 and have posted in the forum without hearing back. I've sent one last PM. If I don't get a response this time, I will send it on to fushmush in Oz on Monday, pending that address.

Journal Entry 17 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 02, 2003

Kinsey is back in Oz. Luckily I'm in between books at the moment, so it can go straight to the top of the TBR pile.

Journal Entry 18 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, November 05, 2003

A fast-paced, easy to read murder mystery. However, I must admit that I'd figured it out about half way through the book.

Kinsey is a likeable character and I look forward to reading more of the alphabet range. I have C is for Corpse on my TBR pile. Since I've read A is for Alibi should I try to read them in order?

I will give A is for Alibi to Kuju on the weekend.

Journal Entry 19 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 08, 2003

Received from Fushmush today. The second bookray receieved today so it will be second on my bookray TBR pile.

Journal Entry 20 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 16, 2003

That was my first Sue Grafton read and I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading her other books.

This book is off to Fantasma in Portugal as soon as I get an address :)

Journal Entry 21 by Fantasma on Thursday, December 04, 2003

Got it on the mail yesterday. Planning to read it as soon as I can, possibly starting next week.
Thanks, Kuju !! :)

Journal Entry 22 by Fantasma on Monday, December 22, 2003

An enjoyable read, even though I was suspicious of the guilty person from half the book till the end :)
I'm ready to read the rest of the alphabet !!!!
As this was a bookray and I was the last one on the list, I'll probably release it, or ask if someone is interested.....

Journal Entry 23 by Fantasma on Friday, January 02, 2004

I was the last on the list of the 1st bookray, so I decided to start a new one. Here are the persons that have joined (final order):

1) di78 (Portugal) - international
2) zyana (Portugal) - international
3) kislany (Cyprus) - international but prefers Europe
4) plinius (Netherlands) - international but prefers not to... :)
5) dutch-flybaby (Netherlands) - international but prefers not to...
6) kel1uk (UK) - international
7) katayoun (Iran) - international
8) vicki9170 (USA) - international
9) cratclif (USA) - international
10) bestaunt (USA) - USA & Canada
11) nmarshall88 (USA) - international
12) tblack44 (USA) - international
13) meshe (USA) - international

As it is a bookray, you can always join and be added at the end !

Journal Entry 24 by Fantasma at on Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Released on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 at atrium saldanha in Saldanha, lisboa Portugal.

It's going to be released today at the meeting, to the hands of Di78, even though I'm still getting names to join the bookray and have not posted the final order yet !!
Hope you enjoy it, Di78 :)

Journal Entry 25 by Di78 from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, January 07, 2004

I've just received it from Fantasma at our meeting in Saldanha. Hope I will enjoy it :)

10 May 2004

So many books, so little time. Sorry for the delay.
A really enjoyable book and now the rest of the alphabet to read...

Journal Entry 26 by Di78 at on Friday, May 14, 2004

Released on Friday, May 14, 2004 at enviado pelo correio a outro BC in Lisboa, mailed to another bookcrosser Portugal.

Sent to zyana, the next in the Bray.

Journal Entry 27 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, May 24, 2004

This book arrived sometime last week but I was unable to journal it because of some pc issues. It was my first Sue Grafton mystery and to be honest I wasn't too impressed ... as a big fan of mysteries and thrillers I had high hopes for this highly acclaimed author but somehow my expectations fell short. The plot is not very creative but the sassiness of the main character makes up for the obvious flaws.

I also felt the ending was rushed, very adrupt and poorly achieved. I'm not too keen on reading the rest of the series but then again I'm a sucker for mysteries so I reckon I'll pick up some of Ms. Grafton's little creations sometime in the future.

I'm just awaiting for the addy of the next person on the ray so I can send it on it's way.

Journal Entry 28 by Kislany on Friday, June 04, 2004

Got the book today from Portugal. Will make a new entry once I read the book and sent it to the next person in the ray.
Kislany

--- edited June 14.
Waiting for mailing address for plinius to send the book on its journey further.

I actually liked the book. I started to read it about a year ago before, but somehow couldn't get in the plot. Thus the ray, hoping that once I get my hands on it again, I might just read it. And was glad I did. It's still not in my top 10 list but a great holiday read nevertheless.

K.

Journal Entry 29 by Kislany on Tuesday, June 15, 2004

On the way to the Netherlands via airmail

Journal Entry 30 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, June 18, 2004

By post today, thank you, Kislany! Ringbooks come in droves, you should see my TBR-pile! But Sue Grafton looks very inviting, I'll start reading asap...

Journal Entry 31 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, June 25, 2004

very good read, nice intricate plot

This goes to Dutch-Flybaby tomorrow

Journal Entry 32 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Allright! I found three books on my doorstep when I came home very early this morning from my 10 day holiday in Turkey and this is one of them. I have one more bookring before this one, which I'll start reading as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now. Thanks Plinius (also for the nice postcard)!

Journal Entry 33 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, July 08, 2004

The first Sue Grafton book I ever read. I found it real easygoing (pleasant) except for the end, that was fast and exciting. I suppose the style of this writer will develope in her next books. B for burglar is already on my bookshelf and I'm looking forward to reading it.
I do have one question that stays with me after I finished the book: why does the murderer switch ammo ? That puzzles me...

I have already mailed kel1uk for an address last (8-7) sunday I think, but have had no answer to my pm so far. Will pm again today (14-7).
18-7-2004 sent another pm

Journal Entry 34 by dutch-flybabe at Main postoffice in Ede, Gelderland -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 06, 2004

Released on Friday, August 06, 2004 at Main postoffice in Ede, Gelderland Controlled Releases.

I mailed this book to Katayoun today, as Kel1uk seems not to be active at bookcrossing at the moment (and has not been for a while I heard). This book is sent standard, so it may take up to six weeks to arrive in Iran. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 35 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Sunday, September 12, 2004

it's here and thanks for the lovely card. i will try to read as soon as possible. though i'll be going on a small trip this wednesday, just a week! :) will get back as soon as i start reading it

Journal Entry 36 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Tuesday, September 14, 2004

and i thought it would wait a week! am nearly finished and it's before me even setting foot on the plane :) so hopefully it would be ready to travel when i get back next week, will ask for address right away

Journal Entry 37 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Friday, September 24, 2004

got back yesterday and still haven't heard from vicki9170, seems from the some of the posts in the forums that vicki9170 is taking a rest from bookcrossing and so i'm gonna ask for cratclif's address.

Journal Entry 38 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, September 25, 2004

just heard from "vicki9170" today and so it seems that it would be going to vicki9170, will mail it in a couple of days and update the journal.

UPDATE: sep 29th, the book is mailed today and on it's way. it should get to it's destination in a month, give or take a week (and also touch wood and postal gods willing!)

Journal Entry 39 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, October 11, 2004

received today

Journal Entry 40 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, July 25, 2005

Started this today, PM'd cratclif last week for addy but no reply so PM'ing bestaunt.

Journal Entry 41 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005

No reply from Bestaunt so PM'ing nmarshall88

Journal Entry 42 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005

Was a note on nmarshall's info page wanting to be removed from all rings/rays so PM'ing tblack44

Journal Entry 43 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, August 01, 2005

TBlack asked to be skipped so PM'ing Meshe

Journal Entry 44 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, August 01, 2005

Meshe passes on the book so PM'ing Fantasma :)

Journal Entry 45 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Starting an international bookring with this.

Participants:

Wilmar-Netherlands-Int'l
PatchworkPerson-United Kingdom-Int'l
Catflap-United Kingdom

Journal Entry 46 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Thursday, August 11, 2005

Mailing out to Wilmar on Saturday

Journal Entry 47 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Caught! Thanks vicki9170.

Wow, this book certainly has been around!
I've almost finished my current read and I'm looking forward to this one, so you will hear from me :-)

Journal Entry 48 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, October 09, 2005

Finished! My first Sue Grafton, and as I started at A I'm afraid I will have to read the whole alphabet ;-)

I liked the last part of the book, but I really had trouble concentrating on the first 100 pages or so. So I'm not utterly enthousiastic. I do not very often read mysteries, maybe that's why I didn't have a clue how it would all turn out. I was surprised in the end.

I PM'ed PatchworkPerson two days ago and didn't hear anything yet. I will wait for a bit longer, and otherwise try the next in line.

Thanks everyone, for giving me the upportunity to read this one. I'm looking forward to reading B (and C, D etc.).

Journal Entry 49 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Update:

I pm'ed PatchworkPerson twice - still no reaction.
Then I tried Catflap a few days ago - also no reaction.

I'm sure they will answer my messages eventually, but to do something with the book in the meantime, I posted a message on the Dutch forum, and Mayti is interested. So I will mail the book out to her tomorrow, and then she can send it on to one of the two BCers mentioned above when she has finished 'A'.

[Edit] List of participants:
* Mayti, The Netherlands
* Barbje, The Netherlands
* Talamasca, The Netherlands
* PatchworkPerson, UK
* Catflap, UK
* calalilly, UK

Journal Entry 50 by Mayti from 't Harde, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, October 15, 2005

Just got the book handed over to me by the mailman. I'm planning to start reading the book this afternoon, enjoying the autumn-sun in our garden.

Thank you for sending, Wilmar, and the opportunity to join this ring.

Journal Entry 51 by Mayti from 't Harde, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Though I don't read a lot of English books, this one confinced me to try it more often. I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to read two other books (in Dutch) from Sue Grafton, waiting for me on my bookshelf.

The book continues it's journey to Barbje. Have fun!

Journal Entry 52 by wingBarbjewing from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, October 22, 2005

Received this book in the mail today, thank you Mayti!

Journal Entry 53 by Fantasma on Monday, October 24, 2005

Just adding a JE to ask vicki9170 to add calalilly (uk) to the bookray, as she sent me a PM today.
Thanks!! :o)

Journal Entry 54 by wingBarbjewing from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 31, 2005

finished! It was indeed a nice and easy read, but very different from the Kay Scarpetta novels (I thought the two would be alike). I wouldn't mind reading b, and c, and d... :-)

Sending it to Talamasca soon!

Journal Entry 55 by Talamasca from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, November 03, 2005

Just got it in the mail, hurray! Thank you Barbara! I have a lot of reading to do but i'll try to read this one asap, because a lot of people are waiting for it.

Journal Entry 56 by Talamasca from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, November 28, 2005

I found it hard to get into the story. It took untill chapter 25 to get the feeling of "not being able to put it down" Maybe I'll try the next one in dutch.

Journal Entry 57 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 08, 2005

Rec'd from Talamasca today (8/12/05) - thank you. Looking forward to reading this on the next few weeks.

Journal Entry 58 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Not a bad read at all. I found I couldn't put it down although I thought the ending was rushed. Already read & enjoyed B is For Burglar & about to start C!

Journal Entry 59 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 30, 2006

On it's way to catflap.

Journal Entry 60 by catflap from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, February 19, 2006

for the first book in a series this isn't bad and it does suck you in, (as you can see I read it before I managed to jouranl it to say it had arrived opps).

But i did enjoy this and am now looking forward to b,c,d....

Journal Entry 61 by catflap at Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, July 08, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (7/6/2006 UTC) at Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, Greater London United Kingdom

I have given this to a colleague at work who enjoys reading and I hope that she enjoys this book and bookcrossing as I do.

Journal Entry 62 by catmeister from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, November 02, 2006

blurb suggests a good story line

CAUGHT IN SEVENOAKS KENT UK

Journal Entry 63 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, November 02, 2006

blurp suggests a good story line

CAUGHT IN SEVENOAKS KENT UK

Journal Entry 64 by Pintsize from Bromley, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, July 07, 2007

Currently reading this pacey mystery. Not my usual kind of read...but I don't know why! I'm a pretty slow reader ordinarilly, but the story flows so well...suspect I've got a ppretty quick read on my hands. Intend to release it pretty soon (like about a week - not getting out much at the mo) and probably not far from where I picked it up...or rather had it passed to me.