corner corner How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read

How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read
by Pierre Bayard | Reference
Registered by wingDavros-10wing of Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

status (set by polenka): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingDavros-10wing from Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I bought three copies of this book today, one for me, one for the Secret Bookring, and one to use as a Christmas present. When I read the back cover and had a quick look through it I thought it seemed interesting, and would have classed it as "Philosophy", but the category on the back cover is "Literature/Humour" so I've categorised it as "Literature & Fiction".

And to make me able to talk about this book I haven't read yet, here's the description from Amazon.co.uk:

"In this disarmingly mischievous and provocative book, already a runaway bestseller in France, Pierre Bayard contends that in this age of infinite publication, the truly cultivated person is not the one who has read a book, but the one who understands the book's place in our culture. Drawing on examples from works by Graham Greene, Umberto Eco, Oscar Wilde, Montaigne (who couldn't remember books he himself had written), and many others, he examines the many kinds of 'non-reading' (forgotten books, unknown books, books discussed by others, books we've skimmed briefly) and the many potentially nightmarish situations in which we are called upon to discuss our reading with others (with our loved ones, with the book's author, etc.).At heart, this is a book that will challenge everyone who's ever felt guilty about missing some of the Great Books to consider what reading means, how we absorb books as part of ourselves, and how and why we spend so much time talking about what we have, or haven't, read."

Journal Entry 2 by wingDavros-10wing at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 29, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/29/2008 UTC) at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia

Posting it off to MadMadge tomorrow for the Surprise Bookring 4.

Journal Entry 3 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 05, 2008

My surprise book in HeresDeb's surprise bookring. Thank you so much Davros. I may have to keep it a while so I can fool the other bxers into believing I am a very well read person! :0) Promise you won't tell anyone?

Journal Entry 4 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 05, 2009

Amusing little book but I don't think I would ever try to talk about a book that I've never read. I'm offering it as a RABCK so that it can be appreciated by another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 5 by madmadge from New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Posted off to Shania in Finland today. Happy reading Shania.

Journal Entry 6 by wingChaniawing from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thank you so much! I will make this a bookray after reading it, as it should be quite popular here in Finland.

Book-ray:

Chania
Ruzena
sElfslayer
Jennynen
Oofiri
Santala
polenka

Journal Entry 7 by wingChaniawing from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa Finland on Thursday, April 09, 2009

I liked it, but I suppose it was bit more philosophical than I expected. Especially in the first part of book there were quite a lot of difficult/unfamiliar words for me (not having English as a language) so I used dictionary quite a lot and perhaps that made it a bit uninteresting. The second part was easier and I especially enjoyed the story of the Tiv-tribe.
All in all this was mildly amusing but still interesting book!
Sending this to Ruzena next as a bookray!

Journal Entry 8 by wingruzenawing from Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, April 17, 2009

An excellent piece of work. Joyous, uplifting... deeply thought and brilliantly written. I'd recommend this book to anyone who appreciates a scene of great intensity opened to the world of literature. The only negative point, for me, was the author's tendency to use other authorities' opinions as if they were his own.

Thanks a lot, Chania, for sharing this wonderful book. Traveling soon again.

Journal Entry 9 by wingruzenawing from Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, May 18, 2009

HAHAHA! The previous JE was written by me the day I received the book, having read nothing but the title. But what I wrote then appears to be true (well perhaps not "the author's tendency to use other authorities' opinions as if they were his own"). This is an excellent piece of work (etc.)!

The category "Literature/Humor" (back cover) is somewhat misleading. I'd call these texts essays. They are true literary nonfiction, the author just having an unexpected viewpoint to his subject. (I think I should love to listen to his lectures.)

Thanks a lot for sharing, Chania and madmadge!
The book is on its way to the next reader.

-ruzena

Journal Entry 10 by sElfslayer on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

EDIT: I accidntally wrote the journal entry in Finnish...

I got the book today. I'll read it as soon as I finish two other books.

BCID was difficult to read so I fixed it a little.

Journal Entry 11 by sElfslayer on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This book was very provocative and I was provoked. I didn't like the book at all and I tried to read it many times but didn't succeed. So I'll just send the book to the next person and give up. Thank you for the book-ray. I'll mail the book today.

Journal Entry 12 by wingJennynenwing from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Book arrived today, I'll try to read as quickly as I can =)

Journal Entry 13 by wingJennynenwing from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Sunday, July 05, 2009

So, How to talk about books you haven't read (SB +)... I think this was a quite funny book, but it also made me think some really deep thoughs about books. I can agree with most of writer's ideas (like inner books etc.), but I'm not really sure if I would try to talk about books I haven't read. I mean, I can just admit that I haven't read all the classics yet! Maybe if I were in a situatution with people who think it's really important to have read all classics from Odyssey to Odysseus I'd go along... After all, we DO know a lot of classics though we've never actually read them. And maybe I can still read Eco's Name of the Rose (HB ++) some day...
Mailing this to oofiri next.

Journal Entry 14 by wingoofiriwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, July 08, 2009

I found the book in my mailbox today. Thanks!

Ruzena, what a ruse! Laughed my head off when I read the next journal entry :-)

Journal Entry 15 by wingoofiriwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, July 18, 2009

As a style, I find French philosophese quite irritating, even done tongue in cheek like this. On the positive side I count some of the thoughts on reading and books, like the attractive idea that reading consists of continuous and often simultaneous processes of skimming, forgetting and fabulation, resulting in a personal "inner book" that never coincides with either author's or other reader's version of the same text.

I read almost exclusively for my own enjoyment and have little occasion to posture about unknown books. But I can well imagine the urge to make an impression.

Journal Entry 16 by santala from Petäjävesi, Keski-Suomi Finland on Friday, July 24, 2009

Book arrived today. Just perfect timing, because I finished reading The Angel's Game last night and wanted to start today with something that doesn't come to my dreams so much...

Journal Entry 17 by santala from Petäjävesi, Keski-Suomi Finland on Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm really sorry this was stuck here for so long! It was hiding in a wrong pile of books - out of sight, out of mind.

I liked it! I have often talked and written about books I haven't read, especially in the exams of my litterature studies :)
Many familiar phenomenons made this book interesting, clear table of contents makes it a great book to study for an exam, the details (spoilers!) of books I haven't yet read made it a bit annoying, but altogether it was both entertaining and thought provoking book. I'll probably buy a copy to my own bookshelf one day, I can use this kind of stuff in my work.

Journal Entry 18 by santala at Petäjävesi, Keski-Suomi Finland on Friday, October 23, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/22/2009 UTC) at Petäjävesi, Keski-Suomi Finland

Mailed it on to the next person of the ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by polenka from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Friday, October 23, 2009

I seem to be the last person in the ray, so I won't hurry with this one. I have lots of books to read, so I can send them as a HGG-surprise ;)

This sounds very interesting books and I am sure it will help me with my literary-studies a lot! :D Thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 20 by polenka at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Oh well, I have been "reading" this book like over a year now, so I must confess, this book will remain unread... Luckily I'm almost halfway through, so I still know how to discuss this book ;)