corner corner Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree
by Olive Ann Burns | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on 8/24/2008

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 24, 2008

Picked up at The Book Thing in Baltimore, Maryland.

Will Tweedy was 14 years old and living in Cold Sassy, Georgia, in the summer of 1906 when his grandpa came home one day to announce he was marrying a woman half his age, not three weeks after the death of his first wife, Will's grandmother. The town, of course, is scandalized, and continues to be so as the story wears on. This is more of a "slice of life" depiction than much of a story - the author starts with a setting (the town of Cold Sassy) and a premise (Grandpa's new bride), and meanders through clever little anecdotes and asides for a while until the author decides it's time to end the story and starts killing off characters. This is not a bad story, just a fairly standard one. I don't have very strong feelings about it either way. The constant backcountry dialect got kind of old, but I feel that way about all books narrated in dialect so that's not exactly serious criticism. On the other hand, I could hear all the characters in my head with no problem. In the end, if you like this era of historical fiction, you'll enjoy the feeling of living in Cold Sassy; if you prefer more plot-driven stories where everything happens for a reason, you might want to skip this one.

Edit 27 Sept 2008: I left this on top of the pump at the Exxon on Multiplex Way in Centreville, VA, but it was caught before I got a chance to make release notes. Hooray! :D

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, September 27, 2008

We found this book at a gas station in Centreville, VA while filling up. We plan to read the book and send it on its way somewhere else.

CAUGHT IN CENTREVILLE VA USA