corner corner Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree
by Olive Ann Burns | Literature & Fiction
Registered by melydia of Centreville, Virginia USA on 8/24/2008

status (set by xacabeo): available

Journal Entry 1 by melydia from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 24, 2008

Picked up at The Book Thing in Baltimore, Maryland.

Will Tweedy was 14 years old and living in Cold Sassy, Georgia, in the summer of 1906 when his grandpa came home one day to announce he was marrying a woman half his age, not three weeks after the death of his first wife, Will's grandmother. The town, of course, is scandalized, and continues to be so as the story wears on. This is more of a "slice of life" depiction than much of a story - the author starts with a setting (the town of Cold Sassy) and a premise (Grandpa's new bride), and meanders through clever little anecdotes and asides for a while until the author decides it's time to end the story and starts killing off characters. This is not a bad story, just a fairly standard one. I don't have very strong feelings about it either way. The constant backcountry dialect got kind of old, but I feel that way about all books narrated in dialect so that's not exactly serious criticism. On the other hand, I could hear all the characters in my head with no problem. In the end, if you like this era of historical fiction, you'll enjoy the feeling of living in Cold Sassy; if you prefer more plot-driven stories where everything happens for a reason, you might want to skip this one.

Journal Entry 2 by melydia at National Book Festival in -- Not a city (geographical features, etc), District of Columbia USA on Friday, September 26, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/27/2008 UTC) at National Book Festival in -- Not a city (geographical features, etc), District of Columbia USA

Left in a tree.
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 3 by xacabeo from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I've heard of Book Crossing before, but this was the first time that I've seen a book out in the wild. I picked it up by a tree as I was returning to my hotel after attending the National Book Festival. It was really exciting to find it. I have not yet read the book, and it is not something that I would normally read, but I'm definitely going to read it since it jumped in my path.

CAUGHT IN WASHINGTON, D.C. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Journal Entry 4 by xacabeo from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, October 11, 2008

I really enjoyed reading this story. The regional dialects made the characters come alive. Someone has told me that they think there was a sequel so I might have to look that up! I plan to release the book today at The Big Read in Clayton (St. Louis), MO.

Journal Entry 5 by xacabeo from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, October 11, 2008