corner corner Rifles for Watie

Rifles for Watie
by Harold Keith | Teens
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 8/23/2008

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008

1958 Newbery Medal Winner

I've seen this title on lists for years but never had any real idea what it was about; when I read the description it wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This one is good stuff: 16-year-old Kansan Jefferson Davis Bussey joins the Union Army, but before the war is over he learns that there are good and bad people on both sides.

Be sure to read the intro by the author - it blew my mind to realize that he interviewed more than 20 Civil War veterans while researching this book in the 1940s, and it adds credibility to the details of the story.

Parts of this book take place in Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas but most of the action happens in what was then Indian Territory and is now Oklahoma, the 46th state. I'm not sure why it's called the Sooner State, and I've never been there, but we sang their state song (from the musical by the same name) during in our senior musical. ;)

I might save this one in case spacedog does another round of Newbery rings..or I might send it traveling sooner.

Oklahoma state flag taken from the Flags of the World (FOTW) website and converted to jpg format. All credits for flag graphics are as shown at FOTW.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at University of Hawaii at Manoa, Art Building in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/18/2009 UTC) at University of Hawaii at Manoa, Art Building in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Left outside the Art Auditorium during the Celebrate Reading festival.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!