corner corner Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth
by E.L. Konigsburg | Children's Books
Registered by knitwit of Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on 8/13/2008

status (set by knitwit): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My contribution to round 5 of spacedog's Newbery Medal and Honor rings.

Here is the order for the book's journey:
tostle
spacedog
hyphen8
yokaye
dancing-dog

Journal Entry 2 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 30, 2008

The journey begins today! Off to tostle in Utah.

Journal Entry 3 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Thanks for sharing this book! I am excited to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, October 04, 2008

This was an interesting story. I wanted to know a bit more about Jennifer but I just loved the ending...and what about Hilary Ezra? I think my favorite part was watching Elizabeth unfold the mystery surrounding Jennifer and the friendship that develops.
I will send this off to the next reader!

Journal Entry 5 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, October 18, 2008

got it yesterday. will prob. be reading before too long.

Journal Entry 6 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, November 09, 2008

finished this today. this book is kind of a cross between -from the mixed up files- and -the view from saturday-. the main character is a lot like the main character of the former book in that she's intelligent and quirky, while a lot of the story is about the way kids have their secrets and rituals, like in -the view from saturday-. in that sense the book also reminded me of -the egypt game-. all in all an enjoyable look at the development of a very unusual friendship, although it didn't really leave a lasting impression.

thanks. will be mailing off tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, November 14, 2008

Received today, with thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, November 16, 2008

A cute story about an interesting friendship..and the adventures that it leads to!

Some of the taboos would be no trouble (we don't wear shoes in the house) but my bed is not only against the wall, it's in a corner! ;)

PMing Yokaye to confirm her address.

Update 1/20/09. No response to multiple PMs so I'm skipping Yokaye for now. PMing dancing-dog instead.

Journal Entry 9 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, January 22, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/22/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Haven't been able to make contact with yokaye, so I'm sending this to the next person in line.

Journal Entry 10 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Monday, January 26, 2009

This book with the long name, by the author with the long name is here! And with it a lovely postcard from Hawaii of the spouting horn blow hole near Poipu - very pretty, it brings back good memories of the 2 times I've visited Hawaii. Thanks A! There's also a cute bookmark of Little Amadeus which I think should stay with the book.

Journal Entry 11 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Friday, February 06, 2009

I don't know, I found this to be a little odd for a Newbery Medal book. I felt like the characters in the book did not communicate well to each other and I had a hard time getting really interested in all the rituals and trials. Jennifer seemed like more trouble than she was worth to me. Ah well, I guess we've all had relationships like that at one time or another. I guess I just wasn't impressed by this plot (or maybe lack of plot).

Will try to contact yokaye ... no luck. Mailed back to knitwit March 17th.

Journal Entry 12 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 22, 2009

Arrived home safely yesterday. Thanks for sending it on its journey around the ring everyone!

Journal Entry 13 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009

An interesting choice for a Newbery Honor book. Maybe reflecting EL Konigsburg's stellar career? I did enjoy the friendship between Jennifer and Elizabeth but felt the plot was a little light for such a prestigious honor. I can see how kids might enjoy it more than I did though. I'll hang on to it for my classroom library (I hope).