corner corner Agatha Christie: An English Mystery

by Laura Thompson | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by LeighBCD on 8/10/2008

status (set by LeighBCD): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LeighBCD on Sunday, August 10, 2008

I wanted to read this biography of Agatha Christie from the second I first heard of it. It has taken great patience on my part to wait for it to come out in paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I was really looking forward to this book but I found it disappointing in the end. The author spends a lot of time quoting from the Mary Westmacott novels as if they were the same thing as autobiography. I found that very irritating - it is just suppostition that Agatha Christie shared the same feelings as her characters. I also read a review on Amazon that I concurred with - it said the author spent a lot of time focusing on Agatha's looks and her perceived unattractiveness. I found this quite tedious and feel this said more about the author's prejudices than Agatha's. In the end, I did not finish this but skim read the last third of the book.

However, the parts of the books where the author does not speculate and focuses on Agatha's life story are interesting.

I will release this book into the wild for someone else to find. I hope whoever finds the book in the future enjoys it more than I did! Welcome to Bookcrossing! You are free to keep the book, exchange it, or leave it out in the wild outdoors for someone else to discover. It would be great if you could leave a journal entry here so I (we) can keep track of its travels. Thanks very much and welcome!!

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD at ReaditSwapit exchanged by post for another book in Read it swap it., readitswapit.co.uk -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 26, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (10/26/2008 UTC) at ReaditSwapit exchanged by post for another book in Read it swap it., readitswapit.co.uk -- Controlled Releases

Hope you like the book!