corner corner Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
by Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by marsala of Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on 8/7/2008

status (set by redfox5): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by marsala from Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, August 07, 2008

Hi and Welcome to Bookcrossing!

If you found this book and are not familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for checking the site out. Welcome! Enjoy both the book and the site.

People all over the world are tracking their books through BookCrossing.

I really hope you'll journal this book! You can stay anonymous if you like. You can journal the book right now! You don’t have to read it first. Ideally, you will post a journal now saying that you’ve found this particular book, then read (and hopefully enjoy) the book. When you’re done reading, come back here and let us know when and where you will pass the book on to another reader. Give a review if you’d like. If you journal it, you can come back anytime to track its journey.

If you decide to join – and it’s FREE - please consider using me, Marsala, as the member who referred you. If you are already familiar with BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book.

Either way, I hope you'll make a journal entry so all previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Happy reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by marsala at OBCZ Lux in Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, May 17, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/17/2009 UTC) at OBCZ Lux in Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands

I'm going to take this book with me to the "picknick" meeting at Emmeken's place. If no one takes it there, it will be put on the shelf in Lux.

Journal Entry 3 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm just starting to read Terry Pratchett's books, and I hear good things about Neil Gaiman, too, so a book written by both of them should be doubly good.

Journal Entry 4 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, May 03, 2010

As good as I'd expected it to be! It reminds me of the truly wonderful 'Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy', and makes me want to read more by Neil Gaiman ('Neverwhere' has been languishing on our shelves for years). I discovered Terry Pratchett last year, and I'm going to be on the lookout for more of his books too. The combination is definitely a winner, and I shall be recommending the book to all and sundry, starting with my sons and husband. I can see why it turned into a cult book, and am surprised that I'd never heard of it before. Probably because in 1990, when the book had just come out, I was living in the Netherlands surrounded by non-reading engineers. I've also discovered where Bookcrosser AnathemaDevice took her name from.

I loved Adam's reasoning, the comedy between Aziraphale and Crowley, and the various interpretations of Agnes Nutter's predictions. This was my favourite quotation, for the beautiful turn of phrase, rather than any great meaning, with the humorous twist at the end:
"There was a tearing sound. Death's robe split and his wings unfolded. Angel's wings. But not of feathers. They were wings of night, wings that were shapes cut through the matter of creation into the darkness underneath, in which a few distant lights glimmered. Lights that may have been stars or may have been something entirely else."

I am now going to see who else I can persuade to read 'Good Omens'.

Journal Entry 5 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, August 19, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (8/19/2010 UTC) at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands

To be sent to Moriquen, who proposed an exchange. It is already in the envelope, waiting until I can get to a post office.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before Jan. 2010. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2010. My goal is 24,000.
- Set It Yourself challenge

Journal Entry 6 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thanks for sending it to me bookguide. The Last Continent is ready to be sent to you as soon as you're back from your holiday!

Journal Entry 7 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, March 24, 2011

This book has been absolutely wonderful. I think I'm going to buy my own copy, just so that I can drop it in the shower (I'm not much of a bath person.) and repair it with ducktape! This books is a treasury of great quotes, but to give you an idea I'll hand you my three favourites:

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the other players (i.e. everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules and who smiles all the time..."

"Anyway, if you stopped tellin' people it's all sorted out after they're dead, they might try sorting it out while they're alive."

"half angel, half devil, all human"

When Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman get together you get something ... What's the word? ... Ineffable, perhaps?

Journal Entry 8 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, March 25, 2011

So far I've found a few people who would want to read this book on the Dutch forum, so I'll make it into a miniature ray ... ;)

1. dutch-book
2. Plinius
3. motherof11
4. You perhaps?

Journal Entry 9 by Moriquen at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/6/2011 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next reader. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 10 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Arrived today. I'n not much of a fantasy-person. But this one has such excellent reviews, that I needed to try it.

Journal Entry 11 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It's still here... will really try to send it on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 12 by dutch-book at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, June 16, 2012

So, about a year later I finally finished this book. Way too long, though..
The first time I started this book I only got to page 88, because I just didn't get it. But I'm probably a little perfectionist, or maybe too stubborn, because I just must read and finish a book if it's here. But I got a little afraid and it just kind of dissapeared in the heaps of books I have.
Now I've finally started and finished it, fast too, and it was actually quite enjoyable with little bits of humor thrown in. I probably didn't get all the humor, and I didn't laugh-out-loud, but I enjoyed it and that's the important bit. I have PM'ed plinius if she still wants to read it.

Journal Entry 13 by motherof11 at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, October 05, 2012

The book arrived safely today. I'm really looking forward to reading it! I love all Terry Pratchett's books!

Journal Entry 14 by motherof11 at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, October 08, 2012

I started this book expectantly, but unfortunately I didn't get very far. As a Christian I am not comfortable with the theme of this book and the way the authors write about e.g. God, the Devil, the antichrist etc., so I won't finish it.

Journal Entry 15 by motherof11 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/6/2013 UTC) at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom

This wishlist book goes to redfox5.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by redfox5 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Thank you for this wish list book! Thats another one ticked off the list :) This was recommenced to me by Scifi Now magazine.

Journal Entry 17 by redfox5 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 31, 2015

I spent some time in the summer trying to get into the Discworld books. I really REALLY wanted to love them but unfortunately I only found them average. And I thought with Neil Gaiman, whose books I love, joint writing this one. I would finally really love a Pratchett book......but I didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I liked this book but that was it! It made me smile but not laugh out loud. And if your not British, I fear alot of the jokes will be completely lost on you. In fact the only time I laughed was after the story had finished and I read the extra bits about Neil and Terry.

The characters were great and the whole idea is a good one, a funny look at armageddon and all that but there was nothing to pull me in. I didn't make much time to sit down and read this and there always seemed to be other things to do(Steam had a sale on Sims3....) and I forced myself to finish it this morning because a bookcrosser (Thank you Poodlesister) had given me some bath salts and a face mask for Christmas and I'm not sure what else you do in the bath apart from read(and wash obviously)....I didn't drop this book in there in case you were wondering but I did have to put some tape on the corner as it's ripped. Not old enough to have yellowed yet though!

And like others I also discovered where AnathemaDevice got her name from! :)

Journal Entry 18 by redfox5 at Released to a bookmoocher in the UK, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/3/2016 UTC) at Released to a bookmoocher in the UK, a bookmoocher -- Controlled Releases

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!