corner corner A Dirty Job

A Dirty Job
by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction
Registered by downtime of Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

status (set by hyphen8): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by downtime from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Very intertaining, great narration. PG-13 material. 10 discs, 12 hours. Unabridged.
Charlie Asher is a pretty normal guy with a normal life, married to a bright and pretty woman who actually loves him for his normalcy. They're even about to have their first child. Yes, Charlie's doing okay—until people start dropping dead around him, and everywhere he goes a dark presence whispers to him from under the streets. Charlie Asher, it seems, has been recruited for a new position: as Death.

It's a dirty job. But, hey! Somebody's gotta do it.

Journal Entry 2 by downtime at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (8/6/2008 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Tennessee USA

putting in audio book box

Journal Entry 3 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, September 25, 2008

I have heard good things about Christopher Moore but never read any of his books, so I am glad to find this in the bookbox. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 4 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, December 31, 2009

I've actually read a few Christopher Moore books by the time I listen to this one. His books are hit or miss with me, but I am glad this is a hit. The plot keeps twisting in new directions, and peppered with a lot of funny moments and colorful characters.
My last book of 2009.

Journal Entry 5 by wingazukiwing at Audiobook Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/28/2010 UTC) at Audiobook Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into indygo88's audio box.

I quite enjoyed this book so hope the next reader would too.

Journal Entry 6 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010

This just looks great. The cover is what attracted me; how can you resist that?! I love interesting takes on the Grim Reaper and am looking forward to giving this a try.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm not sure I'd completely agree with downtime's "PG-13" assessment (I mean, there are chants of "Daddy got laid" and talk of butt-sex. LOL) but it's certainly on the tame side for a story that deals with death. And it's absolutely enjoyable.

I really enjoyed the world Moore created here, full of soul objects and death merchants. I love the comedic aspects (and dark comedic elements) but the story and characters were written so well as to really make me care about their tale & struggles. It was the kind of book I couldn't put down :-) I must admit, though, there were a few times during the book where it felt a little slow to me and the plot a little light. But there were enough faster moments and plot twists throughout to bump the story back up again. And even though I sort of saw the big twist at the end coming about halfway through, I still really enjoyed the story and, especially, the characters. The characters are exceptional and worth reading this for if nothing else!

Fisher Stevens does an amazing job reading this book. He is really able to bring out the humor and the personalities of the characters. I know I wouldn't have liked Ray's character as much as I did, thanks to the voice for the character Fisher used. This is a great example of a well-read audiobook.

I'm glad I gave this book and a new-to-me author a chance!

Journal Entry 8 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 08, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/8/2010 UTC) at Burke, Virginia USA

I enjoyed this book and melydia expressed an interest in earreading it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Monday, May 10, 2010

KateKintail generously lent this to me. Looking forward to it - thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Monday, June 14, 2010

Charlie Asher is a pretty regular guy until the birth of his daughter and death of his wife. Then strange things begin to happen. Suddenly his life revolves around sewer harpies, hellhounds, and soul vessels. I've found Moore to be hit or miss (mostly miss), but this was pretty consistently funny, especially considering it dealt so much with grief and loss. I liked several of the characters, such as Jane and Lily, but the whole thing started to fall apart near the end, when Audrey and the squirrel people started showing up. It felt more like a scramble to tie up loose ends than anything planned in advance, as if the whole thing had been written off the cuff in response to some sort of random prompt, which is a complaint I've had about Moore in the past. All in all, it was a decently funny story, just not a very polished novel.

Thanks for lending me this, KateKintail!

Journal Entry 11 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 12, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/13/2010 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Adding this to indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox. I hope it's enjoyed!

I'm a member of the BookCrossing meet-up group, BCinDC. Have you heard we're having a convention in the Washington, D.C. area in April? All book lovers are invited to celebrate the 10th birthday of BookCrossing at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention

Journal Entry 12 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 27, 2010

Took out of indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox (2)

Journal Entry 13 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I think I squealed out loud when I pulled this from indygo88's audio book box a few months ago. I have loved every Christopher Moore book I have read and this one is no exception. Once again, he drew me into this world he created and made me believe that every absurd, bizarre, and supernatural thing that was happening to the characters could happen while the rest of the world remained clueless. Fisher Stevens was an excellent reader; he gave each character a unique voice and kept the energy of the story bubbling at all times.

I will be sure to add this to the next audio book box that comes my way.

Journal Entry 14 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (9/1/2011 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Gave to Sister No. 6 to listen to while she does a little remodeling.

Journal Entry 15 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Back from Sister No. 6, who didn't listen because her mind wanders too much. *sigh*

Journal Entry 16 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, January 06, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/6/2012 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Sending to JudySlump612 as part of iwillrejoice's Audio VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, January 09, 2012

Arrived safely today. Thank you, grubsneerg!

Journal Entry 18 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, April 25, 2012

This was just plain fun! What a great double discovery, a new author and a new audiobook performer that I really enjoyed.

The humor ranged ranged from gentle, to subtle, to wildly unexpected - and so did the characters. New elements kept appearing onstage, and I was constantly intrigued with figuring out what he/she/it/they might be up to. What an imagination Moore has! I agree with KateKintail, the big twist at the end is pretty easy to guess, but that didn't detract at all from the pleasure of watching all the pieces move into place.

And Kate is also spot-on about Fisher Stevens. His natural voice (I assume) is a perfect match for Charlie, and he's crafted individual voices for every other character. My favorites are Charlie's daughter Sophie, and his Death Merchant mentor, Minty Fresh.

This treat will be reserved for the next round of BigJohnLefty's CD only book box.

Journal Entry 19 by wingJudySlump612wing at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, Audio Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 31, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/31/2012 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, Audio Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Placed in BigJohnLefty's excellent bookbox

Journal Entry 20 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Chris Moore is one of my favorite authors, so I'm glad to see one of his books is making the BookCrossing rounds!
This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in BigJohnLefty's "Another CD Only Bookbox!"

I listened to this audio book back in 2009 and wrote the following:

I started out really enjoying this book. A death within the first few pages compounded with the mystery of a strange man looming over the corpse - what a hook! (Especially when the seven-foot-tall black man seemed just a tad familiar to a reader who had JUST read Coyote Blue!) And the fact that the story was set in San Francisco made this really fun; I enjoy a good book written on my home turf. Also, the beta male analysis asides cracked me up EVERY TIME.

But as the book went on, and the Morrigan made their appearance, the plot seemed to lose steam and get confused. Then it stalled out. Charlie Asher started getting on my nerves, and it's never good when you can't stand the protagonist OR the villains. But as I got closer and closer to the ending and things weren't wrapping up fast enough, I realized it was not going to be good...and it wasn't. The plot lurched to a halt at a horrible, tasteless joke, after a weak attempt to wrap everything up rather neatly. I'm so bummed, Chris. I mean, I was really digging it until the last 2-3 audio CDs, but once Audrey showed up I felt like she was the shark A Dirty Job had to jump over to make it to the bitter end.

Journal Entry 21 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, July 20, 2012

Taken from BigJohnLefty's Another Audiobookbox with thanks.

The always-zany Christopher Moore is one of the many authors I'd never heard of before I encountered BookCrossing...and he's become one of my favorites.

I've already read this one, but I know I'll enjoy listening to it.

Here are the other copies on my shelf: