corner corner The Haunted South: Where Ghosts Still Roam

The Haunted South: Where Ghosts Still Roam
by Nancy Roberts | History
Registered by echesketch of Landis, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

status (set by linguistkris): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by echesketch from Landis, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

from excerpts:

...Nationally known author of 23 books, [Nancy] Roberts began her career with a series of ghost stories written for The Charlotte Observer. Carl Sandburg sent her word that her stories were good, suggesting "they should be a book." Since then her books have won her a certificate of commendation from the American Association for State and Local History and a nomination for the Great Western Writer's Spur Award.

__________

The stories in The Haunted South include:
  • An angel sighting in the North Carolina mountains
  • A poltergeist occurrence that drew trainloads of spectators to Jessup, Georgia
  • A ghostly warning in Atlanta presaging a major plane crash
  • A North Carolina tavern where unsuspecting travelers were murdered
  • An omen of death brought by South Carolina's "Gray Lady"
  • The apparition of an Alabama Railroad Robin Hood
  • A ghost ship off North Carolina's Outer Banks

Journal Entry 2 by echesketch from Landis, North Carolina USA on Thursday, July 31, 2008

This entry last updated Mon. 5/15/09

09. New Mexico - NMReader
    10. Alabama - ladybug74
    11. Georgia - flossie771
    12. Back to North Carolina
    Click here to view the original bookring thread in the RRBs forum.

Journal Entry 3 by echesketch from Landis, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The bookring is now on its way to JennyC1230.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The book is here! I will read it after I finish the book I am reading now. Thank you so much for sharing! I love ghost stories...

Journal Entry 5 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, August 21, 2008

This was a very interesting book! I had read or heard of some of these stories. I have never seen a ghost, but I have "felt" ghosts, so I definately believe that they exist.

I have carrie1's address and will mail this to her soon! :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingJennyC1230wing from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, August 22, 2008

Okay, I goofed! I just sent a Pm to nicolesinger for her address to send the book. It's been a rough week, I apologize. :-)

Journal Entry 7 by wingJennyC1230wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 25, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (8/25/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailing this book today to nicolesinger via 1st Class Mail - Delivery Confirmation #9101805213683086848526.

Journal Entry 8 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's here!

It looks like a quick read, so I don't expect to hold onto it for too long. I may share some of the stories with my husband, who was born in NC, and if I do I'll post his opinion as well.

Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 9 by nicolesinger at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings , web, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (9/2/2008 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings , web, North Carolina USA

I think this would have been better as an audio book, so I could have pretended these were being told around a spooky campfire. The stories were pretty vague, hardly fleshed out at all, and the author had a few writing quirks I could have done without. But it was interesting to get an idea of what might be "out there" in my home state, and it was a quick, easy read. So I'm glad I had a chance to read it. Thanks for including me!

I mailed it off to the next reader this morning at the Morehead City Post Office.

(I did try to get my husband to look at it, but he was busy all weekend and I wanted to get it in the mail today.)

Journal Entry 10 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Thursday, September 04, 2008

Book arrived safely today. Will pm next in line as I should be able to finish it over the weekend.

Journal Entry 11 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (9/8/2008 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

I hadn't heard these stories before; always on the lookout for good ghost stories. Agree that it is more storytelling than reporting. Some had few specifics, and I like some facts with my 'spirits'.

Mailed this morning to the next person.

Journal Entry 12 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Received in the mail today. I should be able to get through this one pretty quickly. More later...

Journal Entry 13 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Friday, September 12, 2008

Finished this one last night. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of writing. Sometimes these "homegrown" books leave much to be desired, but I think Roberts is a pretty good storyteller. I agree with nicolesinger that there were places that were a bit too vague (I couldn't really even tell exactly WHERE some of these events supposedly took place). But I got some goosebumps. It was a fun read. Thank you for sharing, echesketch!

I already have prollacct's address. Just gotta get this packed up and out the door.

Journal Entry 14 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, NC, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, September 26, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (9/24/2008 UTC) at Greensboro, NC, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Mailed via Media Rate to prollacct.

Journal Entry 15 by prollacct from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 26, 2008

Received today. Thanks for including me in this bookring. I will begin it shortly.

Journal Entry 16 by prollacct from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 29, 2008

As a firm believer in the supernatural and a ghost story lover, I enjoyed this one. Although there weren't many facts, it was still good storytelling. I've actually heard one of these stories before in another book that was more factual. Pming for next address. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 17 by prollacct from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

BunnyLady has asked to be skipped so I will contact rebel-padawan next for an address.

Journal Entry 18 by prollacct from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 02, 2008

On it's way to rebel-padawan in MN. Safe travels. Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 19 by prollacct at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 02, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (10/2/2008 UTC) at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

nt

Journal Entry 20 by RukiaThespian from Bemidji, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, October 08, 2008

This is a bookray for my sister rebel-padawan. She's out of town on a backpacking trip to the Appalacians, I just checked her mail and there was A LOT of packages waiting for her.
    She will be home October 20, so she will probably start her own journaling of this book then. I just opened it up to journal to let the sender/owners that it got to where it was going!

This looks interesting though, I may just read it while waiting for her!

Journal Entry 21 by rebel-padawan from Redlake, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

This came while I was away on a trip, my sis journalled it and now I'm home. Actually I read this last night when I was trying to fall asleep! It was creeping me out pretty badly, since I just came back from the area where some of these stories happened!
    I'll PM the next person in line and get this out ASAP!

Journal Entry 22 by rebel-padawan from Redlake, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This one was accidentally "released" by another BCer...also, will PM the next person on the list again, since I'm not sure if I ever received a reply!

Journal Entry 23 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Monday, March 09, 2009

arrivesd today thanks.

Journal Entry 24 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

This was great.Read it all in an evening.

Journal Entry 25 by oldreader at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 13, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

you have found a bookcrossing book.This is a free site that tracks the books as they travel.Please journal this when you find it and after reading.
    You may remain anonymous.

on the way to dabercro

Journal Entry 26 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Monday, March 16, 2009

Arrived in the mail today and will be my next read.

Journal Entry 27 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Sunday, March 22, 2009

A quick and interesting read. I agree with some of the previous journalers that some of the stories were a bit vague. I would have liked a little more substance. My husband wanted to read this book before I move it along. We are both believers of the supernatural. I already have the next person's address and will journal when I send the book.

Journal Entry 28 by dabercro at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/31/2009 UTC) at Bookring, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to the next participant, NMReader, in NM.

Journal Entry 29 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, April 06, 2009

It has arrived and been added to mount TBR

Journal Entry 30 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, April 13, 2009

I read this yesterday between Easter baskets and egg hunts, etc. The storytelling over all was acceptable but the tales were not fleshed out enough. I also felt like most of the tales were for ghostly happens in the 19th century with few happening in the present.

Journal Entry 31 by NMReader at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 16, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/16/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Things always happen for a reason even if at the time we don't understand the reason.

Yesterday I was slightly annoyed that my fist day back to work after my vacation was soooo hectic that I couldn't run over to the PO to mail this and another book.

I was even thinking about it while I had a pedicure/manicure. It wasn't until the co-worker of the manicurist said she was leaving early to mail her taxes that I thought how glad I was I hadn't even tried.

Delivery Confirmation Number: 03083390000017136877

Journal Entry 32 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Monday, April 20, 2009

Got it today! I will start reading it right away and move it on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 33 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Wednesday, April 22, 2009

This book was a very quick read! I liked parts of it and there were parts, such as the author's descriptions of places, that I skimmed over because they weren't as interesting. I actually skipped most of a couple of stories because they did not interest me, but there were more that were interesting than those that were not.

Journal Entry 34 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/22/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed to flossie771 to continue the bookring

Journal Entry 35 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Friday, May 08, 2009

Book arrived safely today. Thanks ladybug74 for sending it. I'll try to get to it soon. :)

Journal Entry 36 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Sunday, May 10, 2009

I read this book last night. It had some interesting stories in it. I had heard of a few of them.
    Thanks for sharing with me.
    I will get it ready to mail back home to etchesketch.

Journal Entry 37 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, May 11, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/12/2009 UTC) at Villa Rica, Georgia USA

Sending this book back home.

Journal Entry 38 by echesketch from Landis, North Carolina USA on Friday, May 15, 2009

The book is home now! A big Thank You to everyone in the ring for participating and especially for ensuring that the book kept moving. Since I haven't read it yet, I'll be doing so this week and then the book will be off to Spain!

Journal Entry 39 by echesketch from Landis, North Carolina USA on Thursday, May 21, 2009

I enjoyed these haunted stories despite the fact that it was poorly written and/or edited. In many areas I found myself struggling through sentences because they didn't seem to flow very well. Most of the stories themselves were fascinating, I thought. The first chapter related to the area where I now live and do business and several of the other chapters were local as well. I've had such a great time learning the busy history of this area in North Carolina.

The Haunted South is now on its way to Bookworm-Lady in Spain! I hope everybody over there enjoys the haunted stories and that the book remains safe so it continues on its journey.

Journal Entry 40 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, May 25, 2009

How very kind of you to send this on, Echesketch; I am really looking forward to reading it.
    After I do, I will look for more ghost-story-lovers here in Europe...
    Thanks a lot!
    Eva

Journal Entry 41 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, October 21, 2012

A pleasure to read, thank you, Echesketch!
    I loved the stories, very well written and with illustrations.
    I quote:
    "It was dusk and for a few minutes there was that intense light in which everything takes on a glow all its own. The fragile, spider-like cleome flowers in front of the dark grey unpainted little shacks were a vibrant pink. The cotton fields could not have looked more green."

Originally published it back on 1970, I specially liked "Room for One More" and "The Haunted Car" (this story / urban legend seems to appear in most of these collections).

Thanks for sharing, Echesketch. It will soon be sent on to the Winner of Plum's Halloween Sweepstakes. Great Halloween reading! :)

Journal Entry 42 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, October 22, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/22/2012 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

I've sent this "well-travelled book" to the winner of Plum's Halloween Sweepstakes, together with another book and some Halloween goodies.
    Congrats on winning... and enjoy!!

Journal Entry 43 by wingChremajorawing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Received with another book and a bundle of halloween goodies. Thank you, Bookworm-lady!

Journal Entry 44 by wingChremajorawing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Now looking for a new reader - could it be you?

Journal Entry 45 by wingChremajorawing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (6/2/2014 UTC) at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Here comes your book from the Great Marita Give-Away - hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 46 by winglinguistkriswing at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Aaaand here it is! :) Thank you so much for this truly well-travelled book. To tell the truth, I've been lusting after it ever since I saw it go past in the "Recently Caught" box on the right one day, and I'm quite excited to have got my hands on it now.
    Even though it is often true that compilations of "true" ghost stories aren't particularly well written (cf. echesketch's comment #39), I love the genre and will pick up any I can find, no matter if I know the area covered or not. I've never been to the South myself, but I have a Carolinian friend and I'll be imagining his voice reading this to me. :)