corner corner Life and Times of Michael K: A Novel

Life and Times of Michael K: A Novel
by J. M. Coetzee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing of Phoenix, Arizona USA on Sunday, July 27, 2008

status (set by Boekentrol): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Sunday, July 27, 2008

"In a South Africa torn by civil war, Michael K sets out to take his ailing mother back to her rural home. On the way there she dies, leaving him alone in an anarchic world of brutal roving armies. Imprisoned, Michael is unable to bear confinement and escapes, determined to live with freedom and dignity."

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thanks so much for your donation tabby-cat-owner!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf

Journal Entry 3 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 28, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/28/2010 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

This book was mailed to mafarrimond of Flintshire, England, UK.

I hope you enjoy this book, mafarrimond.

Journal Entry 4 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, February 08, 2010

I look forward to reading this. Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

As usual, a powerful book by Coetzee. One of the great novels of our time.

Journal Entry 6 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/31/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted on.

Journal Entry 7 by frutz at Beringen, Kanton Mersch Luxembourg on Sunday, June 12, 2011

Picked from the EU 1001 VBB.
Thank you mafarrimond for sending it! So far I have only read Disgrace by Coetzee and liked it a lot, so I look forward to read this one.

Journal Entry 8 by frutz at Beringen, Kanton Mersch Luxembourg on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Michael's story is quite compelling, and Coetzee's style is unique, so definetly worth reading.

Journal Entry 9 by frutz at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (10/26/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Send to Danielle23 as she chose it from the 1001 VBB
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, October 28, 2011

The book is now here safely with me and I look forward to reading it, thank you for your speedy mailing frutz xx

Journal Entry 11 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, November 04, 2011

A very powerful book that was quite easy to read. I was a little daunted by the lack of chapters but found it a compelling read that I sped through. I disliked Michael's Mother and the attitude of Michael himself towards the end. The final part of the book seemed a little out of place for me; December and his sisters just seemed an afterthought and the way Michael interacted with them did not seem to fit in with his character.

I loved Michael's attitude towards his pumpkin seeds and his garden. That was a lovely image and I enjoyed reading that part of the book.

The second part of the book really interested me too. The different attitudes of the doctors just stood to reinforce the different attitudes Michael had to contend with on a daily basis. I do think the book should have ended after part two, leaving us wondering where Michael was and how he managed to escape.

A great read, that really kept me thinking. Back to the library xx

Journal Entry 12 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Danielle23

Journal Entry 13 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Travelling to its next reader Cassiopaeia, enjoy xx

Journal Entry 14 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A lovely well travelled book originating with tabby-cat-owner! Thank you Danielle23 for sending it on.

Journal Entry 15 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2012

This story was utterly captivating. Having read other work by Coetzee this wasn't quite what I expected. Michael K was certainly one of a kind.

Journal Entry 16 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Cassiopaeia:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 17 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/1/2012 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
In the post to saskiasosmile in Whitby.

Journal Entry 18 by wingsaskiasosmilewing at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Thanks cassiopaeia for sending this book,chosen from the UK 1001book VBB!

Journal Entry 19 by wingsaskiasosmilewing at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 25, 2012

I have read and enjoyed this book. Now it is available again for another reader,

Journal Entry 20 by wingsaskiasosmilewing at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 01, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/1/2012 UTC) at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

A wishlist list book will go to Marsala via the wish list tag game!

Journal Entry 21 by marsala at Ravenstein, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, December 07, 2012

Arrives safely, thank you very much!

Journal Entry 22 by marsala at Castricum, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/30/2013 UTC) at Castricum, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Boekentrol would like to read this book, so I'm taking it to the Castricum meet up to hand it over.

Journal Entry 23 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Thank you very much for taking it to Castricum for me, marsala! This book is now safe with me. I look forward to reading it.