corner corner Me and Mr Darcy

Me and Mr Darcy
by Alexandra Potter | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 7/23/2008

status (set by Annimanni): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"After a string of disastrous dates, Emily Albright decides she's had it with love. She's much rather curl up with Pride and Prejudice and spend her time with Mr. Darcy, the dashing, honorable, and passionate hero of Jane Austen's classic. So when her best friend suggests a wild week of margaritas and men in Mexico with the girls, Emily abruptly flees to England on a guided tour of Jane Austen country instead. Far from inspiring romance, though, the company aboard the tour bus consists of a gaggle of little old ladies and one single man, Spike Hargreaves, a foul-tempered journalist writing an article on why the fictional Mr. Darcy has earned the title of Man Most Woman Would Love to Date. The last thing Emily expects to find on her excursion is a broodingly handsome man striding across a field, his damp shirt clinging to his chest. But that's exactly what happens when she comes face-to-face with none other than Mr. Darcy himself. And suddenly, every woman's fantasy becomes one woman's reality..."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 01, 2012

I'm taking this book with me on a trip to Amsterdam to hopefully read and release it there.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 05, 2012

Didn't finish this until today, safely back at home in Finland.

***
Oh boy, what a disappointment. I didn't expect high literary value, of course, but I expected to be entertained. Instead, I was mainly annoyed.

I really did not take to the unlikeable, clueless "heroine", who is supposed to be an educated, well-read woman approaching 30 but instead talks and acts like a bad-mannered, ignorant teenager. I've no idea what Mr. Darcy is supposed to be seeing in her.

There is no plot to talk about and the writing is horrible. And I'd also like to know the reason for including the sub plot about Stella and Freddy? It doesn't add anything to the story nor does it give any original insights into relationships whatsoever.

I notice I'm actually so annoyed that I can't produce any coherent thoughts myself, so I'll just link to this review by an Amazon customer, who sums up my views rather more elegantly than I'm capable of: