corner corner Betrayal

Betrayal
by Karin Alvtegen | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by seethroughfaith of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 7/22/2008

status (set by dutchbooky): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

This book was mine but just returned to me by a friend - in a bag with about 15 others of her own. Happy about that - and it's now time to register them all!

I read this book about 2 years ago. It's very good. I'll mark it AVL but if no-one requests it I hope I'll have a chance to re-read it before it moves on.

Winner of Goldpocket 2004!

Nominated for the premier crime writing award in Scandinavia - "The Glass Key 2003"!

Nominated for the Best Swedish Crime novel 2003!

Journal Entry 2 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, January 03, 2009

I’m truly surprised. :) One of the first pages I picked up in I’m a Winner book bag started with,
‘I don’t know.’
Three words.
Each by itself or in some other context completely harmless. Utterly without intrinsic gravity. Merely a statement that he was not sure and therefore chose not to reply.
I don’t know.
Three words.

I simply couldn’t resist, I had to choose this one. And it’s a Swedish book?! And a criminal novel?! I’m intrigued.

Thank you, seethroughfaith! Also thanks to Savotar for bringing this book to Tampere. It was nice meet her and her hubby. :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, April 15, 2013

Som man bäddar får man ligga, as they say in Sweden. As you make your bed, so you will sleep in it, or as translator Steven T. Murray puts it, If you make your bed, you'll have to lie in it. Lacking a sense of responsibility for one's actions and therefore not accepting the consequences of them is one of the major themes in Betrayal. Betrayal, of course, is another. Alvtegen manages to present several ways/forms of betrayal and different kinds of reactions to it. However, an apology and forgiving are not among them.
Betrayal is a true thriller. It's also very realistic. Eva, Jonas and other protagonists might well be living in my neighbourhood, the events could take place right here in Tampere. Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of that kind of realism. I prefer old-fashioned paper-tasting crime novels, the ones with a tea-party atmosphere, as Chania once said. You know, books by Agatha Christie, Maria Lang and some others. Crimes far from home.
Actually, I'm not a friend of psychological novels either. To tell you the truth, I struggled quite a lot in the beginning. It got a bit easier I gave myself a permission to quit after reading the first hundred pages. So I read them—and the continued reading. Betrayal is skilfully written, and I simply had to finish it. You never know, I might have had nightmares if I hadn't finished it.
Besides, I started to notice some cultural differences between Sweden and Finland, so reading got more interesting. I know Swedes don't like to confront anyone, and it really shows in the book. Take Eva and Henrik, for instance. They both think they know their spouse is being unfaithful but do they don't even try to talk about it. As long as possible, they pretend they know nothing. I was amazed by a few things. First of all, hospital staff took time to show how concerned they were for Jonas. And he wasn't even the patient, Anna was. If it really is how Swedish health care works, I might consider moving to Sweden. On the other hand, maybe not, after all. I was quite terrified by the easiness both Jonas and Eva got some personal information on other people. She even got thi social security numbers just like that! At the Tax Office, for crying out loud! Anything like that could never happen in Finland—or at least it never should. Perhaps the significance of social security number is different in different countries, but still. I doubt that. Also, it may be that Alvtegen has taken some writer's privileges and made things easier for Eva and jonas that in real life. Somehow I just doubt that too. Being such a prominent crime fiction writer, Alvtegen is not supposed to find quite as easy way out as that. I mean, fantasy is totally another genre.
Anyway, even if it was difficult at first, I truly enjoyed Betrayal toward the end. Alvtegen is an excellent writer and the story is pretty interesting. Thank you for sharing, stf!
For the time being, the book is reserved. I hope it'll find a new reader soonish.

Karin Alvtegen at Wikipedia
Karin Alvtegen at karinalvtegen.com

Edited to add that Betrayal is reserver for dutchbooky.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (4/18/2013 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 5 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hi Tarna, thanks so much for this book from my wish list! I love the card and bookmark. In Postcrossing I often see people asking for cards by this artist, now I know why.
The book will be on TBR for now, probably save it for the summer holiday.

Journal Entry 6 by dutchbooky at Utrecht - Maastricht in - In de trein, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, May 18, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (5/18/2018 UTC) at Utrecht - Maastricht in - In de trein, Utrecht Netherlands

In de trein die net na 13u vertrok. Voorin, bovenste etage.

Released in the train. Enjoy!