corner corner Sister of My Heart

Sister of My Heart
by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni | Literature & Fiction
Registered by constantweader of Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 7/21/2008

status (set by mady): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by constantweader from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, July 21, 2008

The moment I saw the title, I knew I had to buy it, and I knew to whom it would be travelling. What I *didn't* know is that it would be such an enjoyable read :) The stories of Sudha and Anju and their three mothers interweave and engage the reader, and I was sorry to come to the end.

So now it is on its way to one who is, though I didn't know it until recently, indeed the sister of my heart.

Journal Entry 2 by Atenea-Nike on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A while ago I read and enjoyed "The mistress of spices" by the same author, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too, with its promise of an exotic background and a heartfelt story.

It's an honor indeed to be the sister of your heart; thank you for being there for me, like a loving sister is :)

Journal Entry 3 by Atenea-Nike on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A bit Danielle Steely for my taste. Also, the reality of arranged marriages, women paraded as prize cows, their reduced domestic role in traditional hindi life, the travestry of women loving men they've met for 5 minutes... all that rubs me the wrong way.

(Which is not to say that I am not touched that you thought of me when you saw the title! ;) )

Journal Entry 4 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 29, 2008

I've received this one in the mail a few days ago from Atenea-Nike, which came as a Xmas gift :) This will be my next read.
Thank you so much for remembering me and I'm also wishing you a Merry Xmas and a great 2009!
PS - I'm still waiting for your visit here in Lisbon! :)