corner corner Grooks 1

Grooks 1
by Piet Hein | Humor
Registered by geishabird of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 7/19/2008

status (set by kazchen): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 19, 2008

What in the world is a Grook??? A grook is a short, aphoristic poem, accompanied by an appropriate drawing, revealing in a minimum of words and with a minimum of lines some basic truth about the human condition. Grooks were created originally during the Nazi occupation of Denmark. They began life as a sort of underground language just out of reach of the understanding of the Germans. They have since become one of the most widely read forms of composition in the Scandinavian and English languages.

I like these little verses. Here's one on good writing:

Long-winded writers I abhor,
and glib, prolific chatters;
give me the ones who tear and gnaw
their hair and pens to tatters:
who find their writing such a chore
they only write what matters.

Ah, if only more writers would take this advice!

Journal Entry 2 by geishabird at phone booth (see release notes for details) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 10, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/10/2009 UTC) at phone booth (see release notes for details) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Released for the "Never Judge A Book By Its Cover" Challenge

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by kazchen from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 12, 2009

I found this today at a payphone at Queen and Woodbine.

This is a short book of inspiring poems. I plan to read all of them and then set the book back out into the wild. Some of these small poems have made me think about my life a little more, and I thank the person who left it on that pay phone! Thank you!!
People should read these... they have inspiring poems, all written by the same author, Piet Hein. Here's one.

T.T.T
Put up in a place
Where it's easy to see
the cryptic astonishment
T.T.T
When you feel how depressingly
slowly you climb,
it's well to remember
Things Take Time.

Journal Entry 4 by kazchen at -- Subway train (see details) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/13/2009 UTC) at -- Subway train (see details) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

This book and its wise words need to be passed on.