corner corner Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics)

Diary of a Nobody (Wordsworth Classics)
by George Grossmith, Weedon Grossmith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shnedwards of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 7/16/2008

status (set by KLL): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The daily mishaps of bumbling middle-class suburbanite Mr Pooter. A classic of British comic literature.

Replacement copy for stalled bookray, here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/4657984

Mailing order:

stubee, UK
KT-J, UK
NICNIC2, UK
DrCris, Australia
freelunch, Australia
KLL, Australia <--- here
taniazed, Australia

Journal Entry 2 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, July 21, 2008

On its way to stubee along with a couple of other bookray books :D

Journal Entry 3 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thanks Shnedwards, either KT-J or I will read this soon depending on who finishes their current reading schedule first.

Journal Entry 4 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 31, 2008

An interesting quirky little book, the concept of writing a diary about a made up person in 1890's London and publishing it is a bit weird, especially considering that the person in question is a regular run of the mill city worker who is getting a bit on the old side and stuck in his ways. That being said I think the diary was interesting and although I wouldn't say I particularly liked any of the characters they were intriguing enough to keep me entertained, one thing to be careful though is the terrible jokes!

I given this to KT-J to read next, thanks shnedwards once again for sharing another 1001 book with me.

Next up is another of shnedwards’ 1001 bookrays - Salman Rushdie's Fury.

Journal Entry 5 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 31, 2008

Stubee has handed this over to me. I'm currently reading another of shnedwards' bookrings - The Book of Illusions - so I will be starting on this one shortly.

Journal Entry 6 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I thought this was an interesting and amusing little book, I managed to read it on the train to London and back yesterday! The idea is really good, a diary about a very ordinary lower middle class person in Victorian times who is a bit of a Bridget Jones character, desperate to fit into society and its norms, but being constantly handed obstacles and trying to negotiate life's pitfalls and embarassments!

I have to say although I enjoyed the book, I'm not very clear why it's on the 1001 books to read before you die list (I seem to think this about a lot of the 1001 books though!). I do like reading things I wouldn't normally have read though so I guess that is part of the idea of the list!

I've PMd NICNIC2 so will be sending this on shortly. Thanks shnedwards (once again!) for another interesting read.

Edit 08/08/08: posted today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by NICNIC2 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Arrived safe and sound :) This looks like a nice short read. I'm currently reading 2 other bookray books so I'll get to this one after that. Thanks for sharing shnedwards and thanks to KT-J for sending it to me (and for the bad joke alert!!).

Journal Entry 8 by NICNIC2 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 25, 2008

Well you were right Sian - this was just the light hearted read I needed after my dose of Coetzee :) The jokes weren't too bad. Poor Mr Pooter. He was trying to hold himself up as the perfect victorian family gentleman and rotten old life kept throwing things in to trip him up lol.

Off on its long journey to a new reader in Australia!

Journal Entry 9 by NICNIC2 at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 25, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/27/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Off to DrCris at last - enjoy.

Journal Entry 10 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 19, 2009

Another bookring! I received three in the mail today, which is a bit confronting. It may pause with me for a little while, but I will get there!

Journal Entry 11 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Monday, March 09, 2009

An amusing little book. That seems to be the first sentence of each review, and it is true. Perhaps this is one of the first comedies where the protagonist is the butt of the joke? He was really an odd, opinionated man. However, it seemed he surrounding himself with odd people, except for his wife, who seemed to play the straight man. I enjoyed it, but I guess it didn't resonate fully, as I don't really have much of a cultural context for Pooter's behaviour. If it was set in the 90s, I would probably kill myself laughing.

Journal Entry 12 by DrCris at per post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/11/2009 UTC) at per post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent on to freelunch, in Queensland.

Journal Entry 13 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

received today, thanks DrCris, and thanks too to shnedwards for organizing this 'ray

Journal Entry 14 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Friday, March 20, 2009

I nearly gave up on this book after a single chapter. I'm glad I didn't as it proved to be good fun and not at all as alien as I expected a 19th century comedy to be.

I'll be sending it on to KLL next week.

Journal Entry 15 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Arrived in the post last night! I saw a TV adaptation of this in UK a couple of years ago and *loved* it. I'm hoping the book will be just as funny...

Journal Entry 16 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Friday, May 01, 2009

This book had me chuckling out loud and my boyfriend curious as to what exactly I was reading! I found it very hard to describe to him why Pooter's antics were so funny, though. On the face of it, the everyday detail of the life of a 'nobody' doesn't sound as amusing as it can be. The book was very reminiscent of the TV series (which I guess means the TV adaptation was very faithful).

Anyway I enjoyed this a lot and I'll PM taniazed now to move the book on.