corner corner They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
by HORACE McCOY | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/16/2008

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm slowly learning that I can't really keep every book I've ever read, so from time to time I look back through my keeper shelves and choose another few that I can bear to register and release. This one has been surviving culls for over 30 years (probably nearer 40) but it's on its way out this time! Unfortunately it's started to deteriorate and is looking a little yellow around the edges :-(

It's years since I've read it but I can still remember some of the details quite clearly. I found them very powerful at the time, quite a bleak view of the Depression era.

An extract, as quoted on the back cover:
'Why did you kill her?' the policeman in the rear seat asked.
'She asked me to,' I said.
'You hear that, Ben?'
'Ain't he an obliging bastard?' Ben said, over his shoulder.
'Is that the only reason you got?' the policeman in the rear seat asked.
'They shoot horses, don't they?' I asked.

I think this one's got bluenoser's name on it. Enjoy! And Thank You for the various books you've sent me lately!

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 21, 2008

This is now in the post and on its way to join bluenoser's overflowing TBR piles :-)
Note: different cover for this edition (film tie-in/Jane Fonda/1969)

Journal Entry 3 by wingbluenoserwing from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Friday, July 25, 2008

Thanks for this old classic Nu-Knees. It's a small book so doesn't take up too much room on my ever-growing TBR pile! I haven't read it before, or even seen the film either.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbluenoserwing from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Sunday, July 27, 2008

What a horrible way to survive the financial hardships of the Depression, by dancing yourself to boredom, misery, deadly fatigue and mental dpression and all for the chance to win a few dollars. I'm afraid I have always loved my sleep too much to have ever participated in a dance marathon!
This book was first published in 1935 and is a very sad, little book that I read almost completely in one sitting (fell asleep 10 pages from the end!)
Thanks Nu-Knees for the chance to finally read it.
I spotted it on stubee's wish list. On Monday it will be heading back across to the UK.

Journal Entry 5 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 03, 2008

Excellent thank you ever so much blusenoser.

EDIT 26/11/2008: Started.

Journal Entry 6 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 27, 2008

Well I didn’t really enjoy this 1001 book to be perfectly honest and I was glad when it was over. I couldn’t care less for any of the characters and I wasn’t at all surprised that Robert killed her, I’m surprised he didn’t do it earlier. Also I just don’t understand why anyone would be interesting in participating or watching a Dance Marathon it must be the most boring uneventful use of time I guess that is where the symbolism is supposed to come from for the novel but it’s not something that captured my imagination.

However the story did get me thinking should we have a right to die and if anyone who helps us to achieve that goal should be punished at all?

Thanks bluenoser for sharing this with me, although I didn’t enjoy the book I’m glad I’ve read it.

I’ll be getting KT-J to read this soon so we can pass it on either via a book box, ray or RABCK.

NEXT UP: Amy Hempel – Reasons To Live (1001 book)

Journal Entry 7 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Received from Stubee, thanks! I've got a couple of bookrings to read but will hopefully get onto this soon.

Journal Entry 8 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I quite enjoyed the way this book was written with each chapter starting with a section of the judges sentencing and the way the story progressed. However, I didn't really like the characters, especially Gloria who was extremely annoying, and I couldn't get my head round why anyone would want to join a dance marathon!

Still, as it's a 1001 book I'm glad I've read it! This is now being reserved for cally-c's 1001 bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 09, 2009

Taken out of cally-c's 1001 book box.

Journal Entry 10 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 23, 2009

I enjoyed this book! It was such a quick read, but I found the whole idea of marathon dancing fascinating. I did think that the characters could have been more fleshed out a bit more though.

This will be heading off as a bookray:

Danielle23 - UK (UK)
sharonrocks - UK (UK/EU)
Jozebedee - UK (UK)
Caroley - UK (Intl)
cat207 - Australia
davemurray101 - Australia (Intl)

Journal Entry 11 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Arrived today Lucy, thank you. Will read this as soon as possible xx

Journal Entry 12 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Once I started this I just couldn't stop and read it through in one go. Absolutely loved it, and the running sentence between each new chapter was a great addition. Definitely one of my favourite 1001 books xx

Journal Entry 13 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, April 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/3/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Sent to sharonrocks, the next in the ray xx

Journal Entry 14 by sharonrocks on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Sorry for not journalling this sooner - it arrived the other day. Really looking forward to it as I remember my mum telling me about the film years and years ago.
Thanks for sharing and for Danielle for posting - and thanks for your kind message too Danielle.
Sharon x

Journal Entry 15 by sharonrocks on Monday, April 27, 2009

A quick read that I really liked. So atmospheric and full of the desperation of people with no other options in their lives but to dance themselves practically to death. Makes you reflect on what a depression really is. I've pmed the next participant, so hope to get this moving again very quickly. Thanks very much for sharing this.
Sharon

Journal Entry 16 by sharonrocks at Ruddington, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 23, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/23/2009 UTC) at Ruddington, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Apologies for holding onto this way too long. It's finally on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 17 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Arrived safely - thanks. A nice small book - will get to it asap!

Journal Entry 18 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I am not sure that I really enjoyed this very much. If it had of been any longer than I probably wouldn't have finished it. I felt that it lacked any sort of substance, and the story was a bit wishy washy and uninteresting - maybe in this case the film is actually more exciting than the book!! Sending off to caroley who is next on the list. Thanks for letting me read it :-)

Journal Entry 19 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 20, 2009

Arrived today thanks.

I have a couple of bookrings to read before this so it may be a week or so before I start it. I'll update this post when I do though.

Journal Entry 20 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I completely forgot to journal this to say that
a) I'd started reading it,
b) I'd finished it in almost one go and absolutely loved it, and had then
c) PMd Cat to get her address.

Sorry 'bout that :-)

Journal Entry 21 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/1/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted airmail to cat207

Journal Entry 22 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Arrived in today's mail. Thank you Caroley, and lucy-lemon for the bookray.

Journal Entry 23 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, September 10, 2009

Probably the best thing about this book was it's size!

Will send on to Dave in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 24 by davemurray101 from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 14, 2009

just recieved today. thanks to Cat207 and lucy-lemon.cheers

Journal Entry 25 by davemurray101 from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, September 14, 2009

I just finished this one. Definitely a product of its time- reminded me somewhat of "The Postman Always Rings Twice". Very 1930s questioning of the prevailing morals of the time. Well worth the read 8/10.

Journal Entry 26 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Thanks so much for your donation davemurray101!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 27 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Monday, August 29, 2016

arrived today, looking forward to Reading it!

Journal Entry 28 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Friday, March 03, 2017

A bit weird but strangely fascinating story, not at all what I expected. I liked it, even though I feel exhausted thinking about all that dancing...

Journal Entry 29 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Mariabokmal:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf

Journal Entry 30 by PhVl at Toulouse, Midi-Pyrénées France on Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Arrived in Toulouse on 7/17. Thank you Mariabokmal ! I notice this is the second staying of this book in France after it was in Eymet (back in 2008)... where I have been and actually lived a few weeks, when my parents lived there.

Journal Entry 31 by PhVl at Toulouse, Midi-Pyrénées France on Saturday, July 22, 2017

I think this is the kind of US novel I love, Hemingway-like, straightforward and impacting. Horace Mc Coy makes us feel this increible marathon without useless emphasis and leaves us think by ouselves on human nature and "show business society" tendencies. Trash TV roots go deep, don't they ?

Journal Entry 32 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 30, 2017

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf
and can be borrowed by PMing color="#2B65EC">PhVI:)
If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the href="http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/1001-library">library
bookshelf