corner corner Rhyme Stew

Rhyme Stew
by Roald Dahl | Children's Books
Registered by hakkalina of Budapest, Pest Hungary on Saturday, February 13, 2010

status (set by Tyrnimarja): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by hakkalina from Budapest, Pest Hungary on Saturday, February 13, 2010

Paperback edition with 80 pages.

From its cover: Warning: Unsuitable for small people. Illustrated by Quentin Blake. Mary, Mary, quite contrary How does your garden grow? 'I live with my brat in a high-rise flat
so how in the word would I know?'

'After the irresistible success of Revolting Rhymes, a collection for older children, and almost certainly adults as well... There is no end to the Dahl invention, and this will join all the other cherised favourites. Quentin Blake is his perfect illustrator.' - Books

Fairy tales (like: Aladdin and the Magic Lamp, Hansel and Gretel, The Emperor's New Clothes etc.) and some other stories in rhymes.

Update: 2010.02.13.
After reading Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl, accidentally I run into this book, and I couldn't leave it in the shop ... I had to buy and read :D. Firstly because of the writer himself, secondly the weird Revolting Rhymes, and this book was written on the basis of that.
Well, it is really really funny and comical. :D

~~ I offered it for a Ray ~~
The Ray started on: 2010 March and It finished: 2011. November;
20 months and 13 readers
This book was read by: 1. Oedde (GER), 2. Simson-Shilitoe (GER), 3. Tsjara (NED), 4. Moriquen (BEL), 5. madmadge (UK), 6. chich (FRA), 7. lils74 (Nepal), 8. NMReader (USA), 9. hyphen8 (USA), 10. Sfogs (NZE), 11. prachitulshan (IND), 12. azuki (USA), 13. salvami (IRE)

was skipped because of not answered for PMs, Searches: GronnLivsstil (NOR)

** Thank You everyone for reviewing and mailing this book!! :) **
---<<--{@

Journal Entry 2 by hakkalina at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Friday, March 05, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/6/2010 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

The bookray starts!!
Have a great time in reading these strange poems by Roald Dahl to all of you!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingOeddewing from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Saturday, March 13, 2010

Thank you, the book has arrived safely here in Jena, Germany!

Journal Entry 4 by wingOeddewing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 25, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/26/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I'm sending this along to the next reader.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingOeddewing from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Thursday, March 25, 2010

I've read all the stories, some of them twice. I read some to friends and we had great time! They're hilarious. I especially like some of the characters (e.g. Jock MacFaddin or the rat) and the rhymes.

Thank you for sharing, hakkalina! This is definitely worth reading.

Journal Entry 6 by Simson-Shilitoe from Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The book has arrived safely today.

At the moment I am reading "Like Life" by Lorrie Moore, a bookring from "lucy-lemon". I hope to start with "Rhyme Stew" next weekend so that the book will travel as soon as possible to the next participant of the ray.

Thank you, "Oedde", for posting and the nice postcard.

Thank you, "hakkalina", for sharing.

Journal Entry 7 by Simson-Shilitoe from Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"Rhyme Stew" contains some exquisite rhymes. I have finished the book over the weekend in combination with some short stories of Lorrie Moore`s "Like Life". So it was a very amusing weekend.

"Finally there is a little rhyme of mine
and I hope it will be fine.
Roald Dahl made me a lot of fun
but now the reading is done".

"Here the book will no longer stay
so it will go away.
Posted not by Edgar Allen Poe,
happy bookcrossing wishes you Simson-Shilitoe".

Thanks again "hakkalina" for letting me join the ray.

Posting to "Tsjara" as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 8 by Simson-Shilitoe at Germersheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, April 09, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/9/2010 UTC) at Germersheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Posted to "Tsjara". Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingTsjarawing from Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's here! :) Thank you so much Simson Shilitoe for the lovely postcard and the chocolate, it's delicious!
Looks like a fun read, I have also read Revolting Rhymes so I'm quite curious about this one :)
Thanks for organizing the bookray hakkalina!

Journal Entry 10 by wingTsjarawing from Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, May 14, 2010

This was a funny little read :) I liked the way Roald Dahl made a little (or big) twist in the fairy tales, so it turns out quite different.. My favorites were probably the tortoise and the hare, oh and Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. And the drawings were great too! ^_^

Journal Entry 11 by wingTsjarawing at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, May 14, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/14/2010 UTC) at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Mailed to Moriquen today.

Happy bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 12 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And it has arrived safely to my doorstep! Thanks for sending it to me Tsjara!

Journal Entry 13 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, May 21, 2010

Since it is a tiny book, I've sped throught it in no time at all. I had already read Dahl's Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts and this little book fits right in there. I enjoyed it a lot! Thanks for sharing it with me hakkalina!
(Next participant has been contacted.)

Journal Entry 14 by Moriquen from Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

As I seem to be unable to release this book from my 'virtual clutches' (ie: the new site won't let me make a proper release note, one of those small bugs they are working on ...), I've opted to let everybody know that the book is on its way to a new reader, this way! I hope it works! *Keeps fingers crossed.*

Journal Entry 15 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The book was waiting for me when I got home. Shouldn't take long to read. Thank you so much for including me in the ring.

Journal Entry 16 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Such a fun book which is just what I need right now. I took my time reading all the amusing poems and loved every word. I had a jolly good chuckle over them all.

All the favourite old rhymes and fairy tales with a totally different slant - Hansel and Gretel, The Emporer's New Clothes, Aladdin and His Magic Lamp, The Tortoise and the Hare, etc. etc..........

My particular favourite was "A Little Nut Tree"

I had a little nut tree,
Nothing would it bear.
I searched in all its branches,
But not a nut was there.

"Oh little tree," I begged,
"Give me just a few."
The little tree looked down at me
And whispered, "Nuts to you."

Thanks so much for including me in the ring and I will post it off as soon as I have an address - I've got an envelope all ready to recycle.

Journal Entry 17 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, June 13, 2010

Going off to sunny Spain tomorrow! Just off to try to release it in the proper manner.

Journal Entry 18 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, June 13, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/13/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Hope this works! Posting off to chich tomorrow. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, June 25, 2010

Book received today, thanks for passing it on madmadge! Thank you so much for the lovely bookmark, I am using it already:)

Many thanks hakkalina for hosting this, I loved "Revolting Rhymes" and can't wait to start reading this!

Journal Entry 20 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What a hilarious read! I just *love* Roald Dahl and his wicked rhymes:-) I enjoyed all rhymes but I think my favourites were "Dick Whittington and His Cat", "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "Hansel and Gretel" (especially the comments about the Brothers Grimm!).

Many thanks Hakkalina for sharing this very funny jewel with us:-)

Journal Entry 21 by chich at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/29/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to lils74 today, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 22 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Monday, July 19, 2010

Got this in the mail today -- the envelope had been ripped open but it was repackaged by the local post office--something they don't always do, so it was nice that the book arrived safely. Thank you for passing it on, chich, and hakkalina for the ring. This year I've read The Twits, Matilda and Fantastic Mr. Fox of Roald Dahl's already, so I am looking forward this this--looks so fun!

Journal Entry 23 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, August 12, 2010

What with moving and all, I had forgotten to read this. Yesterday I read it all in one day--it was so much fun! I really enjoyed the Hare and the Tortoise, Hansel and Gretel, and The Emperor's New Clothes--and pretty much all of it. I love the way Roald Dahl uses wit and turns old stories inside out! I've got NMReader's address and will post in the next few days, as soon as I get down to the post office. :) Thanks for letting me participate in this ring!
I thought this short one was cute:

A Hand in the Bird

I’m a maiden who is forty,
And a maiden I shall stay.
There are some who call me haughty,
But I care not what they say.

I was running the tombola
At our church bazaar today,
And doing it with gusto
In my usual, jolly way…

When suddenly, I knew not why,
There came a funny feeling
Of something crawling up my thigh!
I nearly hit the ceiling!

A mouse! I thought. How foul! How mean!
How exquisitely tickly!
Quite soon I know I’m going to scream.
I’ve got to catch it quickly.

I made a grab. I caught the mouse,
Now right inside my knickers.
A mouse my foot! It was a HAND!
Great Scott! It was the vicar’s!

Journal Entry 24 by lils74 at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, August 22, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/22/2010 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Mailed this out today to NMreader...hope it reaches you soon, and you enjoy what comes along with it!

Journal Entry 25 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 04, 2010

I love Roald Dahl. these poems are wonderful.

The book arrived yesterday and I didn't get it journaled and then read the whole thing today.

Journal Entry 26 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/14/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will drop at the post office on my way home from work

Delivery Confirmation #: 0309 3220 0001 9885 1263

Journal Entry 27 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, September 21, 2010

This cute little book arrived today: thank you!

I'm sure I'll enjoy it - I've already flipped through it quickly to look at some of the wonderful Quentin Blake illustrations. :D

Journal Entry 28 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sorry, life has been sort of hectic for a while..

Thanks for sharing this cute book - it made me smile. I'm not sure how Quentin Blake & Roald Dahl ended up working together, but it's such a good combination!

I have an address for Sfogs and this book will probably get mailed tomorrow.

Journal Entry 29 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/12/2010 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailed to NZ today. Go, little book, go!

The US doesn't have international surface mail so it probably won't take long to get there.

Journal Entry 30 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This book has arrived safely in the shaky islands of New Zealand despite another large aftershock. ^-^ Thank you so much hypen8 for the themed book labels and stickers!! :D

Journal Entry 31 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I loved this little book, I read it all in the afternoon! Thanks for sharing! I've PMed the next person and will hopefully get it moving along again soon.

Journal Entry 32 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, October 28, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/27/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Winging it's way to India! Happy travels little book!!

Journal Entry 33 by wingprachitulshanwing at New Delhi, Delhi India on Friday, December 10, 2010

This book arrived safely nearly a month ago, and I stand guilty for neglecting it over examination prep and not journalling it. My deepest apologies. Shall read it and send it on its way to the next reader asap. Thank you for sharing, hakkalina, and thank you sfogs for sending it over so promptly. *sheepish, guilty expression*

Journal Entry 34 by wingprachitulshanwing at sent by post, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 24, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/25/2011 UTC) at sent by post, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I'm so sorry for this really late JE! While giving exams, I managed to catch chilblains in the Delhi cold and was home in the new year getting diagnosed for other illnesses and treated. Been catching up with my backlog of late, and realized this wonderful lil book had been languishing on my bookshelf the last few months.
I loved the rhymes...have read Revolting Rhymes earlier and this one was as enjoyable. Thanks for sharing! Dahl rocks!
Sending this off to the next reader in line. Many apologies for the delay!

Journal Entry 35 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, May 16, 2011

Wow it's from prachitulshan, my team mate in BC monopoly!! What a pleasant coincidence.
Look forward to reading this, although lately my bookrings seem to pour in like avalanche, so while it's a thin book it has to wait a little.

Journal Entry 36 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, June 24, 2011

Totally enjoyed this delightful collection of poems, adapted from nursery rhymes and childhood favorites.

I am still waiting for salvami's address. Will pm her again and mail it as soon as I hear from her or if not, the next person.

Thanks so much for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 37 by wingsalvamiwing at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

This book is here with me in Ireland!
Thank you azuki for sending this cute little book :) and thank you hakkalina for including me!

Journal Entry 38 by wingsalvamiwing at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Monday, January 09, 2012

Forgot to journal..I really enjoyed! I think Blake's illustrations works well with Dahl's amusing rhymes :) Now I am going to find a next reader!

Journal Entry 39 by wingsalvamiwing at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/9/2012 UTC) at Wexford, Co. Wexford Ireland

Rhyme Stew is on its happy way to Sweden! Enjoy x

Journal Entry 40 by winggunmargawing at ---- by post or by hand ----, Skåne Sweden on Monday, February 13, 2012

Thanks salvami. The book was in my mailbox today. I love Roald Dahl.

The book has traveled a lot. I had to write it down, back in the book.
Hungary, Romania, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom, Spain, Bagmati Nepal, Virginia USA, Hawaii USA, New Zealand, India, Florida USA, Ireland, Sweden.
Edit: The Romania-reader was in Germany when she read this book. Thanks to hear from you Oedde.

I'll try to find a new place when the book will move again.

Journal Entry 41 by winggunmargawing at Somewhere, Skåne Sweden on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My opinion:This book is very entertaining. I love it. It contains both long and short stories in rhyme. I laughed a lot when I read the book. This book I can recommend to anyone who needs cheering up.

Journal Entry 42 by winggunmargawing at Birthday, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/2/2012 UTC) at Birthday, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Now the book goes to Finland with a small piece of chocolate. Happy birthday. Trevlig läsning

Journal Entry 43 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, May 17, 2012

This has travelled a lot. o_o Thank you for the birthday gift. =)

Journal Entry 44 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Perfect holiday reading. =) I read almost every story aloud and laughed a lot while reading this. I have already a next reader to this wonderful little book, I'll send this forward after the holidays.

Journal Entry 45 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/27/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

I'm sending this to Annimanni, enjoy. =)

Journal Entry 46 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Arrived safely, thank you!

Journal Entry 47 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Perfect. Just perfect.

Journal Entry 48 by wingAnnimanniwing at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS -miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, April 01, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (4/2/2013 UTC) at Sokoksen kahvila, PKS -miitti in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 49 by oofiri at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Picked this up at the Helsinki BC meet yesterday. Read it on the bus home. Very funny.

And how well-travelled, as well. Thanks, everybody!

Journal Entry 50 by oofiri at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/11/2013 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

Took this to the Helsinki BC meet, and it found a new reader.

Journal Entry 51 by wingTyrnimarjawing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Book is here with me:)