corner corner The End of Mr Y

The End of Mr Y
by Scarlett Thomas | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Caroley of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

status (set by bilbi): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 09, 2008

When Ariel Manto uncovers a copy of The end of Mr Y in a second hand bookshop, she can't believe her eyes.

She knows enough about its author, the eccentric Victorian scientist Thomas Lumas, to know that copies are exceedingly rare and, some say, cursed.

With Mr Y under her arm, Ariel finds herself swept into a thrilling adventure of love, sex, death and time-travel.

Journal Entry 2 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 31, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's very different and slightly quirky. Recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, October 17, 2008

Released 5 yrs ago (10/17/2008 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

On its way to JenKazoo for a bookring

Journal Entry 4 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanks so much to Caroley for sending me this book. After I finish the book I am currently reading I will begin this one and send it to the people who have joined the ray! I'll probably be able to start it in a few days!

Journal Entry 5 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008

bilbi FRANCE, EUROPEAN SHIPPING (INT'L IF NECESSARY)<-----BOOK IS HERE
mucker28 UK, INT'L
spy-there Zürich Switzerland
violetcrumble Wanneroo, Western Australia
Bug2004 US, US SHIPPING ONLY

Journal Entry 6 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Monday, December 15, 2008

I just finished reading this book and all I can think to say it WOW!

Really, this book was not what I expected at all. It was even better than I hoped. Ariel Manto's dark side was surprising to me. When I read the book summary I pictured her as a sweet, idealistic, and naive, but I was shocked to find out about her dirty secrets and to hear the kind of language she used. (Shocked in a good way, I like things a little rough around the edges like they are in the real world).

The books touches on a lot of philosophical and scientific issues and while I understood most of the philosophical discussions I was not able to keep up with the ones concerning quantum physics and other science realted things, but they in no way make the book less enjoyable. I actually learned a thing or two about science ans physics that I never knew about before. The end was really wild, but I won't say too much about it so it isn't spoiled. This novel kind of reminds me of the movie The Fountain. This is a book I'd like to see made into a movie. I think it would be very interesting to see these events play out in a visual manner.

The mice were a real trip!

Journal Entry 7 by JenKazoo at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 02, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/2/2009 UTC) at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way to bilbi in France!

Journal Entry 8 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Received today !

Thanks for sharing !

Let me wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

I should start the book this week

Journal Entry 9 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It was a very strange trip !
I'm not very keen on science or philosophy so I had to concentrate on some of the "stuff" ;-)

Happy new year !