corner corner Ringworld

Ringworld
by Larry Niven | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by phantomreader42 of Warner Robins, Georgia USA on 4/5/2003

status (set by Mom-of-one):

Journal Entry 1 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Saturday, April 05, 2003

A very good book. An interesting story, well written. Set in Niven's universe called "Known Space," this book tells the story of an expedition ot the Ringworld, a 600 million mile long, million mile wide ring around a sun, with three million times the surface area of the Earth. The Ringworld is an amazing feat of engineering, and it is still inhabited. The expedition team consists of:
Louis Wu, a 200-year old man, bored and seeking a challenge, and capable of handling it.
Nessus, a Puppeteer, a trembling coward with a built-in survival pattern of nonviolence, and considered insane.
Teela Brown, a wide-eyed human youngster with no allegiances, no experiences, no abilities, but all the luck in the world, the daughter of six generations of winning gamblers.
Speaker-to-Animals, a Kzin, large, orange-furred, carnivorous, and one of the most savage life-forms in the galaxy.

Mentions the tasp, which is surely one of the strangest weapons ever imagined (another is the Hyperosmic Virus from Spider Robinson's Telempath). A tasp electrically stimulates the pleasure centers of the brain from a distance. "Who but a puppeteer would go around with a weapon that does good to the enemy?" Also looks at the possible bad effects of good luck.

I bought this book used at Book Corner in Rainbow City, Alabama.

The cover pictured is not the cover on this copy of the book, the ISBN didn't show a cover, so I found a different ISBN from Barnes and Noble.com.

Books by Larry Niven:
The Magic Goes Away
The Magic May Return
The Burning City (with Jerry Pournelle)
Ringworld
Crashlander
The Mote In God's Eye
Armageddons edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois, contains the story "Inconstant Moon"
New Destinies edited by Jim Baen
Redshift edited by Al Sarrantonio

Books set in "Known Space"
A Darker Geometry by Mark O. Martin and Gregory Benford
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Crashlander by Larry Niven
New Destinies volume VII edited by Jim Baen, contains "Briar Patch" by Dean Ing

Journal Entry 2 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Saturday, April 05, 2003

I am offering this for my first bookring.

The following have asked to join:
TexasWren
millerbug
bunzrun
Mom-of-one
adeadstar
(there's still time for more people to sign up)

The picture was taken from mrsordonez

Journal Entry 3 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Thursday, April 10, 2003

Mailed to TexasWren. It should arrive in a week.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2003

The book came in the mail today. I have a couple of book ring books ahead of this, but I should be ready to send it on before the statute of bookring etiquette ends.
I'm diving into a new genre for me. This should be interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by millerbug from Cortez, Colorado USA on Thursday, May 22, 2003

Got this in the mail from TexasWren yesterday. I've read this when I was like 11 or so. And I remembered that I was a little scandalized at reading it. But now that I'm an adult I'm going to give it another whirl and see if I like it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Friday, May 23, 2003

I forgot to make a journal entry before I mailed it off, and for this, I apologize.
I've never read sci-fi before, and my science-challenged brain found this a very difficult read. Under other circumstances, I would have given up and moved on.
However, because there is so much talk about sci-fi on the forums, and because I found myself caught up in the story--in spite of not understanding the science stuff, I want to plod on with it.
Since I had already kept it longer than bookring etiquette dictates, I mailed it to the next person, and I plan to buy my own copy as soon as I get back to the bookstore.
Will this convert me to a sci-fi fan? I don't know yet. For someone who has to stop and think for a second before she can remember whether the sun revolves around the moon, or vice versa, things like "black hole, 4th dimension, quadrillion megaparticulates centrufuge" don't make for a pleasant reading experience. If I can learn to train my brain to just accept those words without trying to understand them, I may read more. Only time will tell.
Thank you, Phantomreader42, for introducing me to these worlds.

Journal Entry 7 by millerbug from Cortez, Colorado USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2003

I really enjoyed this book. It has turned me on to other books from this series. Turns out that this isn't the book that I thought it was. Now I have to read the Man-Kzin Wars and the follow-up books to Ringworld. I kind of felt like I started in the middle of Louis Wu's story. It be interesting to find out more about his past and future. Cool book, thanks for including me in this book ring.

Journal Entry 8 by millerbug at in the mail to a fellow BookCrosser in Wirtz, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 31, 2003

Released on Thursday, July 31, 2003 at in the mail to a fellow BookCrosser in Wirtz, Virginia USA.

Released to Bunzrun. Part of a bookring put on by Phantomreader42. I think this bookring is still open!

Journal Entry 9 by bunzrun from Wirtz, Virginia USA on Monday, August 11, 2003

Came in the mail earlier today. Got a few minutes to read and already met Louis Wu and Nessus (or at least a puppeteer). Looks interesting so far.

Does the Man-Kzin Wars occur before this and should I have read that first? The only other Nien I recall reading is the Protector.

Let you know what I think about the book as I progress further.

Journal Entry 10 by bunzrun from Wirtz, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 30, 2003

An interesting story with vivid descriptions of Ringworld and how it functions. I kind of got bogged down in the middle and had a hard time understanding exactly what was happening at some points.
The ending woke me up again and got into Ringworld again. It does delve into the consequences of "luck" and the idea of being "predestined" due to inbred good luck, either your own or those around you. I did get a chuckle about Mount Fist-of-God and the derivation of its name.

On to Mom-of-one.

Journal Entry 11 by Mom-of-one from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 12, 2003

Received in the mail today as part of a bookring. I have another bookring book to finish before I start this...shouldnt be too long though! Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by Mom-of-one from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 26, 2003

This was my first foray into "true science fiction", and I was totally fascinated! I loved this story and want to find out more about the characters and the man/kzin wars. More importantly...I want to know if there's a sequel! The way the book ends seems to indicate that there is more to come!
Anyhow, I was enthralled! Thanks for including me in the ring!