corner corner The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl

by Barry Lyga | Teens
Registered by Xeyra of Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on 6/27/2008

status (set by Izzy5000): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Friday, June 27, 2008

Fanboy has never had it good, but lately his sophomore year is turning out to be its own special hell. The bullies have made him their favorite target, his best (and only) friend seems headed for the dark side (sports and popularity), and his pregnant mother and the step-fascist are eagerly awaiting the birth of the alien life form known as Fanboy's new little brother or sister.

Fanboy, though, has a secret: a graphic novel he's been working on without telling anyone, a graphic novel that he is convinced will lead to publication, fame, and—most important of all—a way out of the crappy little town he lives in and all the people that make it hell for him.

When Fanboy meets Kyra, a.k.a. Goth Girl, he finds an outrageous, cynical girl who shares his love of comics as well as his hatred for jocks and bullies. Fanboy can't resist someone who actually seems to understand him, and soon he finds himself willing to heed her advice—to ignore or crush anyone who stands in his way.

Journal Entry 2 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 16, 2008

Arrived today. Thanks! I heard about this at Dragon*Con last year, and I can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 3 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hmm.

I can appreciate this book as being well-written. Lyga did an excellent job of getting inside the head of a dissatisfied teenager. It was realistic and believable.

It was also written with a specific target audience in mind, and that audience does not include me. I'm done with my own teenage angst, and this had just a bit too much of it for me to enjoy. Plus, I didn't really like Fanboy - or Goth Girl for that matter. They were both too deep into the teenage "figuring out what you want" time, which made them spot-on as characters, but not characters I liked or could relate to at this point in my life.

It was interesting, but not something I'm going to recommend to people.

Journal Entry 4 by Supertalya on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Thanks!!!

Journal Entry 5 by Supertalya at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/9/2010 UTC) at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

It is going for the Teen VBB. I didn't get a chance to read it.

Journal Entry 6 by Izzy5000 at Kansas City, Missouri USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Looking forward to this one. Thank you so much for the box of books!!