corner corner Neverwhere: A Novel

Neverwhere: A Novel
by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Solarwaves of Allston, Massachusetts USA on 6/23/2008

status (set by amyem): available

Journal Entry 1 by Solarwaves from Allston, Massachusetts USA on Monday, June 23, 2008

The story is very simple, yet it resonated. Richard thinks he knows what he wants, everything is falling into place for him: he's moving up the corporate ladder, has a smart beautiful girlfriend, it seems like it's all going to be smooth sailing. Obviously it won't be, as that would make for a really boring story, now wouldn't it?

Even before Richard ends up in this bizarre, filthy, fantastic underground world, you get the impression that things are not quite right, that maybe he doesn't fit in with everyone else in normal world, and that everything that happens was supposed to, all along. He meets Door, gets dragged unwillingly into her world, and after a while can't decide where he belongs. Of course, it doesnt help that he can't resume a normal life even if he wants to, because the underground and it's denizens are ignored by those that live above, as if they don't exist. Even Richard's girlfriend sees right through him.
Richard's journey is an sort of existential crisis, the sort that we all have at least once in our lives. Are we doing the right thing, living the right life, or are we simply living a life that is safer and risk-free than the one that lurks in an underground that we imagine could be dark and terrifying?

Journal Entry 2 by fzhasan from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, July 14, 2008

Just picked this up.

Journal Entry 3 by fzhasan from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, August 09, 2008

Although the story seemed a little slow in the beginning I really got into it it towards the end. Overall, liked it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingtobysruswing from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Picked up at the September 2008 Boston Bookcrossers meeting. Look forward to reading.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtobysruswing at Panera Bread, Porter Square, 5 White Street in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, September 23, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (9/23/2017 UTC) at Panera Bread, Porter Square, 5 White Street in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Mt. TBR is taking over my house, so I have decided to get some books that have been stalled with me moving. Thanks everyone for your patience! Will be released at a Boston Bookcrossers meeting this afternoon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. If you are new to BookCrossing, when you join please indicate that you were referred by tobysrus. I hope that you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you are done reading.

I hope that you will enjoy the BookCrossing experience!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, Boston has an active group of BookCrossers who meet monthly; the second Tuesday of the month at Panera Bread (1288 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge - Harvard Square, 2nd floor) 7 PM.

Journal Entry 6 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 25, 2017

Picked up at September 2017 Boston BookCrossing Meetup for re-release to my work book sharing shelf.